New basketball assistant coach, Cannen Cunningham

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 7, 2006
Cade could very well end up being the #1 recruit in the country by the time it's all said and done. Lots of people in the recruiting circles seem to think that is a real possibility.

Aug 7, 2006
I hope we get the kid, but solitary one & dones aren't necessarily program changing, unless you get a bunch of them.
I'd say there's a really good chance that getting Cunningham means we get Todd as well and that... well would be program changing, especially considering they would be joining an experienced team with a bunch of talent.

Mar 8, 2010
Didn't KU hire Danny Manning's dad as an assistant coach so they could get Danny to commit? Before that KU was a good program but I don't think they had any more NCAA basketball NC's than we did. They went from a top 25 program to a blue blood in a relatively short period of time after that hire.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
That "we have no idea where Cunningham will go in the draft."
We don’t. He could tear his Achilles’ tendon. He could do nefarious acts. He could decide to enter the draft early and go in the second round or he might stick around and go #1 like you said that he could. But we don’t know. What is so hard to understand about that, unless your name is Nostradamus?

Jan 5, 2015
Texas
We don’t. He could tear his Achilles’ tendon. He could do nefarious acts. He could decide to enter the draft early and go in the second round or he might stick around and go #1 like you said that he could. But we don’t know. What is so hard to understand about that, unless your name is Nostradamus?
Care to make a small wager?

Jun 23, 2009
New York
In Boynton's interviews I have watched he and Mike Holder are on the same page, he was 100% Holder's guy and he took a big chance putting Boynton in his position. They are very loyal to each other I'm not saying that Boynton won't leave for a better opportunity but the guy is all about OSU. He's at baseball games, softball games, football games etc. he knows being bought in to the athletic department and being seen are important to letting his guys know that he's practicing what he preaches. If he continues to recruit like he has been and that turns into the success on the court that we believe it will he may stay for a long time. OSU basketball is held in a high regard just a notch below the UNC, Duke, Kentucky, and Kansas ultra blue bloods, even though we haven't had much success over the last decade +. When he starts winning, as I think he will this year, and pushing for a conference championship, as I think he will in 2021, OSU will be a destination for the best basketball players in the country. And why would he leave something he has built into a power to go to another place and start over? I know that I am highly optimistic but coach Boynton makes me that way.

lmao, maybe in your little orange world we are held in high regard just a notch below UNC, Duke, Kentucky & Kansas but that isn't reality. We aren't even close to those programs, not even in the same stratosphere

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
lmao, maybe in your little orange world we are held in high regard just a notch below UNC, Duke, Kentucky & Kansas but that isn't reality. We aren't even close to those programs, not even in the same stratosphere
And that's you're opinion. We have beat Kansas more than any team in the country in the last 2 years. People like Fran Frashilla(sp?) and Dick Vitale believe what I say and they're pretty quick to point it out. I agree that we've had a decade of teams that didn't perform at the level I suggest but we are in the second tier behind those blue bloods. The gap isn't so great that 1 or 2 big time players can't close it. I think this years team could go to the sweet 16 if everything goes their way. Next years team, if they get the recruits I think they will, will be playing for the big 12 championship. That's definitely in the stratosphere.

POPOKE

Sheriff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
And that's you're opinion. We have beat Kansas more than any team in the country in the last 2 years. People like Fran Frashilla(sp?) and Dick Vitale believe what I say and they're pretty quick to point it out. I agree that we've had a decade of teams that didn't perform at the level I suggest but we are in the second tier behind those blue bloods. The gap isn't so great that 1 or 2 big time players can't close it. I think this years team could go to the sweet 16 if everything goes their way. Next years team, if they get the recruits I think they will, will be playing for the big 12 championship. That's definitely in the stratosphere.
I'm not sure we're in the second tier like you say, but we're definitely a top 25 program when you look at all time stats. Tough to say we're second tier when in the last decade we've only won 1 tourney game, no league titles, etc. Our last final four was 15 years ago. We still have a ton of prestige and national clout like you mentioned, and I think Boynton is gonna get us back there and it's gonna happen soon.

Jun 23, 2009
New York
You're comparing us to Duke because we've beaten Kansas a few times in the last 2 years? You think playing for a Big 12 championship puts on the same level as programs who are playing in the Final 4 and National Championships regularly? Are you drunk? We don't even make it to the NCAA tournament regularly