New $72M Katy ISD HS Stadium

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Pretty insane, but it looks like they are going to get a lot of use out the facilities across the district and across multiple sports.

It will be pretty funny when D2 and D3 recruit these players and the high school facilities are nicer than the college facilities. You want me to play where?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
Pretty insane, but it looks like they are going to get a lot of use out the facilities across the district and across multiple sports.

It will be pretty funny when D2 and D3 recruit these players and the high school facilities are nicer than the college facilities. You want me to play where?
That is already the case almost everywhere.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I don't want to be the one to say they probably could have found a better way to spent that money, BUT . . .
Actually since it's gonna be a multi school multi sport facility, is going to get a lot of use it may be well worth it.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

SLVRBK

Johnny 8ball's PR Manager
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Oct 16, 2003
Katy, TX
When I moved into Katy ISD we had 3 HS's and less than 150k people. It's now 8 HS's (2018) and has a population slightly smaller than Tulsa....~375k vs ~400k. TPS has ~41k students vs Katy ISD ~77k students. I believe that TPS has 4-5 stadiums vs Katy ISD 2 stadiums.

At the time of the vote Katy had 7 HS's playing 5A football, we are about to be 8 5A HS's, and were renting other districts stadiums to play games. A friends kid had his "homecoming" game at a stadium an hour away in 2015.

No private suites...the top area of the field house has 2 large community rooms that seat up to 200 people each. Can you rent it and watch a game? Sure for $1,500/ea.

Stadium passed public vote to be built, failed on the first attempt, projected price was $58 mil but some material/construction/improvement costs went up between the vote and construction.

With the Texas Robin Hood Law the way districts keep more of their money is to build facilities.