NCAA will permit college athletes to wear patches on their uniforms that promote and support social justice causes.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
I'm not going to boycott sports (yet), but the injection of politics as a major part of gameday has REALLY dampened my level of interest. I take time out of my schedule and pay $$$ to watch as an escape from the stupidity of the world, not so I can see more of it. They're free to say whatever they want, and I'm free to lose interest as a result. Pretty simple. I'll find other ways to enjoy life.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
You would be surprised. I judged a regional HS science fair in February and a big theme for a lot of them was sustainability and reducing their carbon footprint. And these were kids from rural Minnesota so their upbringing is the same as kids from rural anywhere. I know a lot of you guys aren't fans of the Parkland kids but obviously some of them found a voice while that age or younger.

If you think a 17 year old 4* who has had all the attention anyone in his position for the last 40 years has while watching kids only a few years older than him find their voice isn't paying attention, then you might want to re evaluate what is going on here.
Pu...lease. A kid won't consider a school because he can't wear a social justice patch? Just how high on the hierarchy of decision points does the "patch, "no patch" rate?

School
School size
Degree program
Program History
Competition level at position
Competition level in the league
Pro prospects
Chicks
Friends
Coach(es)
Facilities
Weather
Teammates
Friends

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
It's the definition of virtue signaling. You said yourself you are done with college football because of this. But instead of just opting out you are trying to show yourself as morally superior for doing so.

So there are about 3 ways this plays out.

1. You really are outraged. If so, man get a grip. If random political events impact you this strongly then you really need to do some self reflection and maybe consider professional help. I can't imagine being in a mindset where everything sucks the joy out of life but if you're there, please think about how this impacts your general wellbeing.

2. You didn't really care in the first place and this is an opportunity to show moral superiority. I suspect this is a common theme amongst those who are really "upset" about this. If you weren't going to watch in the first place and are saying it's BECAUSE of this, yeah you're virtue signaling.

3. You'll cave when it comes to something you really want to watch. Considering your stance here, that would make you a hypocrite.

vir·tue sig·nal·ing

noun
  1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
    "it's noticeable how often virtue signaling consists of saying you hate things"
Uh, kinda sounds like you.

Virtue signaling: the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions (support of social justice signaling) or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character (because it's bad character to oppose social justice signaling) or the moral correctness (because social justice is moral correctness) of one's position on a particular issue.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
Virtue signaling is waving your bare behind to the world trying to show how much you care more than the average unwoke person. I guess next time I say that I'm not watching pro sports anymore because it's ram-rodding through a fake narrative, I'll keep it to myself.

Mar 11, 2006
@cowboyinexile if you want a good example of virtue signaling. Go on Twitter and search for #kneel4hockey.
You will find a bunch of woke people taking a selfie kneeling with their hockey sweater on, and posting their wokeness on Twitter, because they are upset players didn’t kneel for the anthem last night.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
@cowboyinexile if you want a good example of virtue signaling. Go on Twitter and search for #kneel4hockey.
You will find a bunch of woke people taking a selfie kneeling with their hockey sweater on, and posting their wokeness on Twitter, because they are upset players didn’t kneel for the anthem last night.
K, whatever.

Call me when they are loudly proclaiming they'll never watch it again because of the narrowness of their political mindset.

Some of y'all get triggered way too easily.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
K, whatever.

Call me when they are loudly proclaiming they'll never watch it again because of the narrowness of their political mindset.

Some of y'all get triggered way too easily.
Yeah, I don't think you understand the difference between virtue signaling and expressing an opinion.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk