NCAA will permit college athletes to wear patches on their uniforms that promote and support social justice causes.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
My question is who absorbs the cost of this. The school? The player? Seems to favor the wealthier schools or players that come from more wealthy families.

What happens the first time a player puts an NRA patch on and students take over the administration building unless that kid is expelled? And what happens when the NCAA censors some opinions but not others.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
If they don't have in stadium fans it's going to be very hard for anyone with only a casual interest to pay any attention to things. I haven't watched an NBA or a baseball game...even an inning...since the crazy kneeling, BLM BS. Granted I don't give a crap about the NBA or major league baseball and haven't for a long time...only have a passing interest in the NFL. The reasons for this is that the players antics have spoiled it for me in those leagues. Too much money, too much power, because you can play a sport and then you have to start preaching your crazy ideas and demanding compliance with them? Nope, done.
I would say you're in the minority.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.la...baseball-gives-espn-a-ratings-boost?_amp=true

ESPN’s telecast of the season’s first game on Thursday — the New York Yankees’ weather-shortened 4-1 interleague victory over the World Series champion Washington Nationals — averaged 4.075 million viewers, the largest audience for a regular-season MLB game on any network since 2011.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-07-29/baseball-gives-espn-a-ratings-boost?_amp=true

ESPN’s telecast of the season’s first game on Thursday — the New York Yankees’ weather-shortened 4-1 interleague victory over the World Series champion Washington Nationals — averaged 4.075 million viewers, the largest audience for a regular-season MLB game on any network since 2011.
Not surprising. As Eddie Murphy once said; if you're starving and somebody gives you a cracker you'll think that's the best damn cracker you've ever tasted.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-07-29/baseball-gives-espn-a-ratings-boost?_amp=true

The over 345 million Americans that didn’t watch is a minority?

Math isn’t your strong suit is it?

Bottom line baseball has been on life support for a long time if the best they can do nationally is basically the state population of Oklahoma in viewership for a sport that hasn’t had a real game since late last year. Man I’m surprised they can survive. Thursdays addition of "Hannity" had more stinking viewers than that. Baseball used to draw viewership between 35 to 40 million and World Series games sometimes drew 60 million viewers. Sadly spoiled athletes, former walk outs and strikes, drugging and juiced balls have all taken a huge chunk of baseballs former glory...add this and it may drive another nail in baseballs coffin. Sadly this mirrors America, we used to have at least sports to unite us and they no longer do because the players have been allowed to politicize them instead of allowing them to be a source of national universal pride. The inmates are running the asylum, the adults in the room have disappeared.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2010
This seems like a safety issue. I could see bounties being put on certain guys because of this stuff.
And think of the locker room issues it is likely to cause. There are gonna be guys with MAGA patches, or whatever, and then rifts will develop within the teams themselves. This might be a good thing in the long run by quickly teaching the kids why conventional wisdom is to keep politics outside of certain aspects of life.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Sep 9, 2007
Piedmont, OK
This is stupid. Is it "I'm cancelling my season tickets" stupid though? Of course not. That said, I truly do not see any good coming out of this. Is there a situation in ever where inserting politics into something previously apolitical made it better?? @teachum has a great point. If you think locker rooms have division NOW... Yikes...

Last edited:

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
345 million that didn’t watch is a minority?

Math isn’t your strong suit is it?

Bottom line baseball has been dead a long time if they best they can do nationally is basically the state population of Oklahoma in viewership for a sport that hasn’t had a real game since late last year. Man I’m surprised the survive.
There were 331 million people in the country. If you're going to be snarky you should check your own math.

Have fun virtue signaling. For people who hate sports so much some of y'all spend a lot of time on a sports message board.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
For people who hate sports so much some of y'all spend a lot of time on a sports message board.
Technically this is a political forum....but I think people have made it clear that they actually like sports which is why they are so upset to see it being infested with politics....because as oks10 pointed out, that has never made something better.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
My question is who absorbs the cost of this. The school? The player? Seems to favor the wealthier schools or players that come from more wealthy families.

What happens the first time a player puts an NRA patch on and students take over the administration building unless that kid is expelled? And what happens when the NCAA censors some opinions but not others.
They already have....but if they are going to open it up now I expect to see all opinions, not just blm on the backs of jerseys...maybe scripture...Muslim codes...Hindu Sanskrit...good luck charms...big ole Boobs?...freedom of speech needs to reflect that and if it only does for one group, that's not freedom.

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
They already have....but if they are going to open it up now I expect to see all opinions, not just blm on the backs of jerseys...maybe scripture...Muslim codes...Hindu Sanskrit...good luck charms...big ole Boobs?...freedom of speech needs to reflect that and if it only does for one group, that's not freedom.
Tig ol' bitties matter.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
There were 331 million people in the country. If you're going to be snarky you should check your own math.

Have fun virtue signaling. For people who hate sports so much some of y'all spend a lot of time on a sports message board.
The point still stands and it makes total sense. As far as "virtue signaling" I think you have your terms mixed up. It's not "virtue signaling" to point at the asteroid and warn people...it's saying look at that FREAKING HUGE ROCK that is about to slam into the Earth...I know that's an exaggeration, but sport VIRTUE SHAMING half of America by their stance on this is REALLY stupid...POLITICS have a place, but sports isn't that place. You should be able to understand that. A unifier isn't supposed to be a divider. Can't you admit that this glorification of BLM by the leagues is a divider and not a unifier? To me it's no different than if they put MAGA on each of their pitching mounds. No place for stupid divisive crap in sports.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
The point still stands and it makes total sense. As far as "virtue signaling" I think you have your terms mixed up. It's not "virtue signaling" to point at the asteroid and warn people...it's saying look at that FREAKING HUGE ROCK that is about to slam into the Earth...I know that's an exaggeration, but sport VIRTUE SHAMING half of America by their stance on this is REALLY stupid...POLITICS have a place, but sports isn't that place. You should be able to understand that. A unifier isn't supposed to be a divider. Can't you admit that this glorification of BLM by the leagues is a divider and not a unifier? To me it's no different than if they put MAGA on each of their pitching mounds. No place for stupid divisive crap in sports.
It's the definition of virtue signaling. You said yourself you are done with college football because of this. But instead of just opting out you are trying to show yourself as morally superior for doing so.

So there are about 3 ways this plays out.

1. You really are outraged. If so, man get a grip. If random political events impact you this strongly then you really need to do some self reflection and maybe consider professional help. I can't imagine being in a mindset where everything sucks the joy out of life but if you're there, please think about how this impacts your general wellbeing.

2. You didn't really care in the first place and this is an opportunity to show moral superiority. I suspect this is a common theme amongst those who are really "upset" about this. If you weren't going to watch in the first place and are saying it's BECAUSE of this, yeah you're virtue signaling.

3. You'll cave when it comes to something you really want to watch. Considering your stance here, that would make you a hypocrite.

vir·tue sig·nal·ing

noun
  1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
    "it's noticeable how often virtue signaling consists of saying you hate things"

NotOnTV

BRB -- Taking an okie leak
Sep 14, 2010
Gondor
It's the definition of virtue signaling. You said yourself you are done with college football because of this. But instead of just opting out you are trying to show yourself as morally superior for doing so.

1. You really are outraged. If so, man get a grip. If random political events impact you this strongly then you really need to do some self reflection and maybe consider professional help. I can't imagine being in a mindset where everything sucks the joy out of life but if you're there, please think about how this impacts your general wellbeing.
Ramming a fake, divisive, and dangerous narrative down the public's collective gullet is not "random political events". If you are going to call it that, then you should call Trump's lawful election, which resulted in the "Resist" movement that has been wreaking unmitigated havoc on society for three and a half years now a "random political event", as well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

2. You didn't really care in the first place and this is an opportunity to show moral superiority. I suspect this is a common theme amongst those who are really "upset" about this. If you weren't going to watch in the first place and are saying it's BECAUSE of this, yeah you're virtue signaling.

3. You'll cave when it comes to something you really want to watch. Considering your stance here, that would make you a hypocrite.

vir·tue sig·nal·ing

noun
  1. the action or practice of publicly expressing opinions or sentiments intended to demonstrate one's good character or the moral correctness of one's position on a particular issue.
    "it's noticeable how often virtue signaling consists of saying you hate things"
I didn't say I was done. I said I would be if they don't open speech up to either all or none...freedom means we tolerate all sides of the argument...not just one. Kneel or don't but don't pressure me or the athletes either way. AND IMHO if you choose the wrong side I and others have the freedom to walk away. That has NOTHING to do with ME and everything to do with society. I don't care what you or others think about me, this isn't about me. Virtue signaling is about the person. This is about freedom. IF a player has the right to put whatever he wants on his jersey I have the right to tell him that I think he's wrong. I also have a right to tell college football that they are making a grave mistake that will only result in divisive behavior and further divide an already very very divided nation. No virtue here, just want us to look for ways to unify rather than divide and I don't think this one does that.

Btw, how can I virtue signal, which is to draw attention to oneself and act virtuous, when this...is just something I said on the internet anonymously.

Last edited: