NCAA will permit college athletes to wear patches on their uniforms that promote and support social justice causes.

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 30, 2007
I disagree with this decision. There are two places that politics don't belong, places of worship & sporting events. I'm all for athletes fighting for the things they believe in, but it shouldn't happen inside stadiums & arenas.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
I disagree with this decision. There are two places that politics don't belong, places of worship & sporting events. I'm all for athletes fighting for the things they believe in, but it shouldn't happen inside stadiums & arenas.
I get where you are coming from, but I don't agree. They have every right to do it and should if they feel so compelled. The fans also have the right to tune out.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Just remember....we are putting a whole lot of attention on a damned game. They throw, they run, they hit, they jump....pppffffttt...not worth my time if it becomes a political statement platform. Id rather spend my Saturdays and Sundays fishing, golfing, or doing something for myself or my family. F-em...all of em. And hollywood as well. Already cancelled my Netflix subscription and havent watched any movies or series or anything since Memorial Day weekend. And honestly, its life changing. I did watch some of a couple of the recent PGA tourneys, but the BLM stuff is now starting to bleed into golf, so there goes that too.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Just remember....we are putting a whole lot of attention on a damned game. They throw, they run, they hit, they jump....pppffffttt...not worth my time if it becomes a political statement platform. Id rather spend my Saturdays and Sundays fishing, golfing, or doing something for myself or my family. F-em...all of em. And hollywood as well. Already cancelled my Netflix subscription and havent watched any movies or series or anything since Memorial Day weekend. And honestly, its life changing. I did watch some of a couple of the recent PGA tourneys, but the BLM stuff is now starting to bleed into golf, so there goes that too.

Sep 29, 2011
Breckenridge, CO
This will turn into a disaster.

I wonder if some coaches are just gonna say no.
Any coach that says no will have it used against him in recruiting
Wouldn’t worry about that. How many 18 year-olds are looking for a political platform? Their minds get polluted once on campus. There’s a gozillion other more important factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oct 30, 2007
I get where you are coming from, but I don't agree. They have every right to do it and should if they feel so compelled. The fans also have the right to tune out.
Everyone in this country possesses freedom of speech, but businesses & organizations have a right to control that speech whenever they're being represented. Just look at how quickly the NBA suppressed any public support for the civil rights movement in China last year.

I'm not saying that athletes should "shut up and play their sports." They should fight for the things they believe in just like everyone else. I just think it's a mistake for them to do it during sporting events.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Everyone in this country possesses freedom of speech, but businesses & organizations have a right to control that speech whenever they're being represented. Just look at how quickly the NBA suppressed any public support for the civil rights movement in China last year.

I'm not saying that athletes should "shut up and play their sports." They should fight for the things they believe in just like everyone else. I just think it's a mistake for them to do it during sporting events.
People need to vote with their wallet. NBA feels insulated because they have the youngest fanbase. If people stop watching in large enough numbers they'll shut up and dribble. Watch.

I'll watch my squad when I can, but otherwise I don't care.

Oct 30, 2007
People need to vote with their wallet. NBA feels insulated because they have the youngest fanbase. If people stop watching in large enough numbers they'll shut up and dribble. Watch.

I'll watch my squad when I can, but otherwise I don't care.
That's fair. I know that ultimately the business model will correct itself if it starts to lose revenue. I just love college sports too much to see them go down that road. I don't want to see fanbases torn apart by politics.

wrenhal

Federal Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
When in uniform, they represent the university. They should not be allowed any messages because the university will have to allow all messages or it's censorship.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
When in uniform, they represent the university. They should not be allowed any messages because the university will have to allow all messages or it's censorship.

From what I've seen the NCAA is less restrictive than the NBA, should be very interesting.

Oct 30, 2007

If you allow Black Lives Matter, you have to allow All Lives Matter.
If you allow Defund the Police, you have to allow Back the Blue.
If you allow Trust in God, you have to allow Hail Satan.

This has the potential to turn into a disaster where schools are forced to decide whose views are & aren't valid. It's one of the worst ideas I've heard in a long time.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
Wouldn’t worry about that. How many 18 year-olds are looking for a political platform? Their minds get polluted once on campus. There’s a gozillion other more important factors.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would be surprised. I judged a regional HS science fair in February and a big theme for a lot of them was sustainability and reducing their carbon footprint. And these were kids from rural Minnesota so their upbringing is the same as kids from rural anywhere. I know a lot of you guys aren't fans of the Parkland kids but obviously some of them found a voice while that age or younger.

If you think a 17 year old 4* who has had all the attention anyone in his position for the last 40 years has while watching kids only a few years older than him find their voice isn't paying attention, then you might want to re evaluate what is going on here.

GodsPeace

Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
You would be surprised. I judged a regional HS science fair in February and a big theme for a lot of them was sustainability and reducing their carbon footprint. And these were kids from rural Minnesota so their upbringing is the same as kids from rural anywhere. I know a lot of you guys aren't fans of the Parkland kids but obviously some of them found a voice while that age or younger.

If you think a 17 year old 4* who has had all the attention anyone in his position for the last 40 years has while watching kids only a few years older than him find their voice isn't paying attention, then you might want to re evaluate what is going on here.
It establishes expectations and standards. IMHO, money will talk.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Wonder what they'll do when people literally stop watching in huge numbers. I'm still watching what I can, but I've seen a lot of people I know swearing off sports. IDK if they'll stick too it though.
If they don't have in stadium fans it's going to be very hard for anyone with only a casual interest to pay any attention to things. I haven't watched an NBA or a baseball game...even an inning...since the crazy kneeling, BLM BS. Granted I don't give a crap about the NBA or major league baseball and haven't for a long time...only have a passing interest in the NFL. The reasons for this is that the players antics have spoiled it for me in those leagues. Too much money, too much power, because you can play a sport and then you have to start preaching your crazy ideas and demanding compliance with them? Nope, done.

Last edited: