NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI

USC --- NIT (#34 RPI) 23-11 Record, 6-5 on the road......

OU --- NCAA (#49 RPI) 18-13 Record, 2-9 on the road......

But OU was more deserving than OSU because their RPI was higher. Got it!
The presence of ou the NCAA tournament this year instead of several teams who deserved a shot delegitimizes it for me. I don't plan to watch a single game or even a highlight.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
The presence of ou the NCAA tournament this year instead of several teams who deserved a shot delegitimizes it for me. I don't plan to watch a single game or even a highlight.
Yep, everyone that claims the reason OU got in rather than OSU was because of the RPI needs to explain USC.

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Yep, everyone that claims the reason OU got in rather than OSU was because of the RPI needs to explain USC.
The "OU instead of OSU" argument needs to be put to bed. It wasn't a one or the other type scenario. OSU wasn't even in the last 4 out and is a 2 seed in the NIT for crying out loud.

OSU was playing very well at the end of the season, but the horrid RPI, close losses and mid-week let downs against bad teams are to blame for you guys not getting in, not OU.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
The "OU instead of OSU" argument needs to be put to bed. It wasn't a one or the other type scenario. OSU wasn't even in the last 4 out and is a 2 seed in the NIT for crying out loud.

OSU was playing very well at the end of the season, but the horrid RPI, close losses and mid-week let downs against bad teams are to blame for you guys not getting in, not OU.
Keep telling yourself that ou belongs in the tournament over teams that had better RPI's (USC) and teams that beat them twice in one season, and had more wins (OSU) (the last game wasn't even close). However, it might be more honest to just accept the reality that people got screwed so they could put Trey Young on tv...likely in the 2nd round vs Duke.

Btw, every "bad team" that we lost to, besides Baylor, is in the tournament. I think our worst loss to a "bad team" was actually in Norman. However, we did beat several that are in the tournament, including a #1 seed twice, a #5 seed on the road, and your pitiful #10 seed twice...not to mention others.

But I agree, It clearly wasn't JUST OSU that got screwed by ou being in the tournament.

Last edited:

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI

USC --- NIT (#34 RPI) 23-11 Record, 6-5 on the road......

OU --- NCAA (#49 RPI) 18-13 Record, 2-9 on the road......

But OU was more deserving than OSU because their RPI was higher. Got it!
USC should be much more pissed since Arizona State got in over them.
USC - 2nd in conference; 34 RPI; 23-11; SOS - 39
ASU - 9th in conference; 66 RPI; 20-11; SOS - 75

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Keep telling yourself that ou belongs in the tournament over teams that had better RPI's (USC) and teams that beat them twice in one season (OSU) (the last one wasn't even close) and swept KU. It might be fun to just accept the reality that people got screwed so they could put Trey Young on tv...likely in the 2nd round vs Duke.

It clearly wasn't JUST OSU that got screwed by ou being in the tournament.
I don't think OU belongs in the tournament.

Bad news. Traveling back from Turks and Caicos now and I've been stopped 3 times already with questions as to the reasons why we are out. I'm wearing my colors of course, and some of these folks aren't even American. I have to explain who Trey is and then I get the "oh that sucks" retort. Which it does. Never have so many been so concerned about us before to my knowledge. D Vitale's rant was epic.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

You're smarter than this. You missed the entire argument.

Please explain why OU belongs in over USC? The reason we were given why OU deserves over OSU was because of the RPI. OK, then why OU over USC?

And don't give me how badly OSU played. Have you been under a rock?

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC

Please explain why OU belongs in over USC? The reason we were given why OU deserves over OSU was because of the RPI. OK, then why OU over USC?

I'm not saying OU does deserve in over another team and I've said I don't believe that OU should have even gotten in the tournament.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
USC should be much more pissed since Arizona State got in over them.
USC - 2nd in conference; 34 RPI; 23-11; SOS - 39
ASU - 9th in conference; 66 RPI; 20-11; SOS - 75
Yeah that is so ridiculous. I was reading somewhere else that they were trying to justify not putting USC in because of a terrible non con schedule or they didn't beat anyone in non con or something. How was it so bad if their RPI was 34 and SOS 39? It just has to give credence to the notion that the committee was trying to punish the schools that are tied to the scandal. But like I said in another post, what the hell are they going to do in the coming years when a bunch of other schools are implicated? Way to punish schools before the whole story comes out, committee.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Bad news. Traveling back from Turks and Caicos now and I've been stopped 3 times already with questions as to the reasons why we are out. I'm wearing my colors of course, and some of these folks aren't even American. I have to explain who Trey is and then I get the "oh that sucks" retort. Which it does. Never have so many been so concerned about us before to my knowledge. D Vitale's rant was epic.
You know, this sucks, BUT the publicity that we are getting may just outweigh what could have happened by actually making the tournament...if we got bounced in round one, anyway. Key, is that tonight we need to win this home game in the NIT or all this friendly publicity goes out the door. That's going to be a tough task, Florida Gulf Coast has 23 wins this year. Certainly, looking at their schedule we should win...but the disappointment of not making the field makes this a tough game...

May 9, 2011

It wasn't only RPI and if that is what you believe, you are wrong.

Plus, give us USC's best wins.

Here I will do it for you : New Mexico State and Cal-State Fullerton
They lost to the other 6 tournament they played, including 3 home games

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth

Titan, do you actually believe that ou "should" be in? If so, you are the first person that I've seen say that.

May 9, 2011
Titan, do you actually believe that ou "should" be in? If so, you are the first person that I've seen say that.
Didn't say anything about OU. But if you read the criteria beforehand, it did not come as any surprise OU made it. That was proved with them given a 10 seed. They were pretty safely in

If you looked at legitimate bracketologists, meaning the ones that apply the selection committees criteria, every one had OU in.

Now if you are asking me who is the better team right now, its OSU. Right or wrong, the selection committee applies the same weight to Nov as March.

Cimarron

Jun 28, 2007

That was what you heard over and over when justifying OU. Well the RPI.......

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Didn't say anything about OU. But if you read the criteria beforehand, it did not come as any surprise OU made it. That was proved with them given a 10 seed. They were pretty safely in

If you looked at legitimate bracketologists, meaning the ones that apply the selection committees criteria, every one had OU in.

Now if you are asking me who is the better team right now, its OSU. Right or wrong, the selection committee applies the same weight to Nov as March.
Yep, you and I both know that their criteria is very flawed and likely to be changed now that the sooners got into the tournament over about five teams that they didn't deserve to get in over. Only consolation to me is that I'm headed to Stillwater to actually watch a game...never would have been able to make an NCAA game. I actually think it's going to be a great crowd considering the pissed off nature of our fan base about this. Obviously I hope the kids have their heads on right and they play well. I'm confident in our coach...we will see.

cowboyethics344

Federal Marshal
Apr 2, 2008

OU played like a team with a losing record for the last half of the season. Tell me this what good is RPI if you lose to good teams? OSU has very little bad losses but were punished for beating teams they should have beat and or had no way of projecting them to be as bad as they were this season. Pitt and a few others were traditionally good in the past but sucked this year.

OSU beat 6 top 25 teams and beat KU twice (first time in the bill self era). We also beat OU twice. OU played like a bottom feeder for the last half of the season and got in because Trae ball hog was worshiped the first half of the season. OU has the same conference record and lost a bunch of games.

Both should probably not have made it but OU didn’t deserve it by any stretch.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
A reason to cheer against Texas Tech?

STILLWATER — The first two days of the NCAA Tournament will put Oklahoma State at risk of a ignominious distinction.
A win by Texas Tech over 14th-seeded Stephen F. Austin on Thursday would be the Red Raiders’ first in the Big Dance since 2005. Another by TCU on Friday would be the Horned Frogs’ first in 31 years.
If both teams win, they will snap the two longest droughts without an NCAA Tournament victory in the Big 12.

The new, dubious leader? That would be Oklahoma State.