NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
And if we're not a tournament team, we shouldn't have beaten KU (a #1 seed) twice and we shouldn't have beaten WVU at their house...

We can do this all day.
YOU can do it all day if you want, i'll pass.......... i was talking to the same, few, self-righteous fans who constantly shame the rest of the boar for not attending every single mid-week home game

Sep 29, 2006
Nope, nope, nope. It was because the terrible, horrible, bottom of the barrel, low life's who dare to call themselves OSU fans didn't show up for a tuesday night game at 6pm. It's all their faults!
So I guess Coach Boynton is a fool as well, I guess him begging fans to show up to help the team was just plain stupid. Let’s stop this silly argument and take it from the people that know how the empty house made them perform-the players and coaches. I’ll take their word over yours any day. Go back to playing video games

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
So I guess Coach Boynton is a fool as well, I guess him begging fans to show up to help the team was just plain stupid. Let’s stop this silly argument and take it from the people that know how the empty house made them perform-the players and coaches. I’ll take their word over yours any day. Go back to playing video games
So Boynton agreed with you that the team didn't make the tournament because we have terrible fans who don't go to games? Direct me that quote please. I'll be playing my video games while waiting on you to find that. Thanks in advance.

hootie

Greenhorn
Feb 12, 2010
I agree the Arkansas loss hurt a lot. OSU had some big wins (KU, FSU and other tournament) teams but the loses to other "bubble"/mid-tier Big 12 conference teams) kind of watered those down. Being swept by TCU, KSU and Baylor was a killer. Winning 2-3 of those (6) games would have sealed the deal too to get in the tournament.
OSU-W OSU-L ou-W ou-L
KU 2 1 1 1
Tech 1 1 1 1
WVU 1 1 0 2
KSU 0 2 1 1
TCU 0 2 2 0
Baylor 0 2 1 1

Texas 1 1 0 2
ou 2 1 - -
OSU - - 1 2
ISU 2 0 1 1

As for Top 10 wins: (numbers for ranking at game time)
OSU W-4 (KU (2), ou, Tech) L-4 (WSU, ou, WVU, KU)
ou W-5 (WSU, KU, Tech, WVU, TCU) L-3 (KU, WVU, Tech)

I DO NOT think ou deserves to be in the tournament. Yes, ou sucked the last 1/2 of the season and OSU but KU twice but sorry, ou has slightly better resume based upon the info I listed above.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
I agree the Arkansas loss hurt a lot. OSU had some big wins (KU, FSU and other tournament) teams but the loses to other "bubble"/mid-tier Big 12 conference teams) kind of watered those down. Being swept by TCU, KSU and Baylor was a killer. Winning 2-3 of those (6) games would have sealed the deal too to get in the tournament.
OSU-W OSU-L ou-W ou-L
KU 2 1 1 1
Tech 1 1 1 1
WVU 1 1 0 2
KSU 0 2 1 1
TCU 0 2 2 0
Baylor 0 2 1 1

Texas 1 1 0 2
ou 2 1 - -
OSU - - 1 2
ISU 2 0 1 1

As for Top 10 wins: (numbers for ranking at game time)
OSU W-4 (KU (2), ou, Tech) L-4 (WSU, ou, WVU, KU)
ou W-5 (WSU, KU, Tech, WVU, TCU) L-3 (KU, WVU, Tech)

I DO NOT think ou deserves to be in the tournament. Yes, ou sucked the last 1/2 of the season and OSU but KU twice but sorry, ou has slightly better resume based upon the info I listed above.
OU lost to 0SU twice...they won one less game...AND OSU swept the regular season champion...Just admit it, ou got in because of the marketability of Trey Young...NOTHING else. They only won 2 games since January for crying out loud. By no means did OU belong in the tournament if OSU doesn't...If anything their resume is worse due to what has happened since January...The committee needs to reexamine how they select teams.

Last edited:

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater

hootie

Greenhorn
Feb 12, 2010
OU lost to 0SU twice...they won one less game...AND OSU swept the regular season champion...Just admit it, ou got in because of the marketability of Trey Young...NOTHING else. They only won 2 games since January for crying out loud. By no means did OU belong in the tournament if OSU doesn't...If anything their resume is worse due to what has happened since January...The committee needs to reexamine how they select teams.
If read what I said, I said that I DID NOT think ou deserves to be in but their overall resume is SLIGHTLY better than OSU. You state they won one less game but they also lost 1 less game, right? OSU got swept by 3 middle of the pack teams in their conference and that is what kept them out. If Trey is so marketable, why do they have ou playing at 11:15 am game???? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Oct 30, 2007
I guess I'm just wired a little differently than a lot of our fanbase. I don't feel like OU should've gotten in over us, but I can't blame the NCAA committee for not taking us overall. There's no doubt in my mind we're one of the nation's top 36 teams today, but I'm not sure our resume is top 36 overall;
1. We scheduled a horrible non-conference schedule.
2. We have an RPI 19 spots higher than any team to receive an at-large bid.
3. We had a losing record in the Big 12 and a losing record overall against power 5 competition.
4. We lost very winnable games at home against TCU, K-State, & Baylor.
5. Just about every other game we had a terrible offensive drought where we wouldn't score for 5 to 10 minutes. That's why we were so inconsistent.

Baylor had the same conference record as us. They won both head to head matchups against us. Their RPI was 20 spots higher than ours. You can't argue that we should be in over OU without arguing that Baylor should be in over us.

If you think we got screwed over, consider USC. They finished 2nd in the Pac 12 with a 12-6 conference record and a 23-11 record overall. Their RPI is 54 spots higher than ours and they ended up in the NIT as well.

The final few spots of the NCAA tournament always get muddy. IMO Any time you're under .500 in conference play, you lose the right to cry about being left out. We could've stopped Texas late. We could've made a point blank layup against Arkansas. We could've shown up at home against Baylor, TCU, & K-State. If we win just one of those games, we're likely in.

Even though we were left out of the NCAA tournament, we've received a lot of publicity for the year we've had. Coach Boynton needs to start building this program through recruiting. Hopefully a few years down the line we'll be upset with our seeding instead of missing the tournament.

hootie

Greenhorn
Feb 12, 2010
I guess I'm just wired a little differently than a lot of our fanbase. I don't feel like OU should've gotten in over us, but I can't blame the NCAA committee for not taking us overall. There's no doubt in my mind we're one of the nation's top 36 teams today, but I'm not sure our resume is top 36 overall;
1. We scheduled a horrible non-conference schedule.
2. We have an RPI 19 spots higher than any team to receive an at-large bid.
3. We had a losing record in the Big 12 and a losing record overall against power 5 competition.
4. We lost very winnable games at home against TCU, K-State, & Baylor.
5. Just about every other game we had a terrible offensive drought where we wouldn't score for 5 to 10 minutes. That's why we were so inconsistent.

Baylor had the same conference record as us. They won both head to head matchups against us. Their RPI was 20 spots higher than ours. You can't argue that we should be in over OU without arguing that Baylor should be in over us.

If you think we got screwed over, consider USC. They finished 2nd in the Pac 12 with a 12-6 conference record and a 23-11 record overall. Their RPI is 54 spots higher than ours and they ended up in the NIT as well.

The final few spots of the NCAA tournament always get muddy. IMO Any time you're under .500 in conference play, you lose the right to cry about being left out. We could've stopped Texas late. We could've made a point blank layup against Arkansas. We could've shown up at home against Baylor, TCU, & K-State. If we win just one of those games, we're likely in.

Even though we were left out of the NCAA tournament, we've received a lot of publicity for the year we've had. Coach Boynton needs to start building this program through recruiting. Hopefully a few years down the line we'll be upset with our seeding instead of missing the tournament.

EXACTLY!!!!!

Sep 23, 2010
Nebraska went 1-3 against the top 4 Big10 teams in the regular season and lost first round to Michigan by 19. 1-4 overall against the top 4 teams. Best non-conference win was @ home over Boston College. No way they should have been close to being considered.

USC best non-conf wins @ home over Middle Tenn and @ New Mexico State. 3-4 against the top teams in the conference regular season and lost to AZ, so 3-5 in those games. I would feel better about USC over OU, but I still think they are a weaker team than we are.
No doubt about lack of big wins, but 13-5 and 12-6 against Power 5 opponents is an accomplishment. Nebraska doesn't lose at the last second to Kansas, and they are in and Big 10 is viewed a bit differently. USC can't be happy finishing 2nd in the league and in tourney and Arizona State gets in.

Rack

Federal Marshal
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
If read what I said, I said that I DID NOT think ou deserves to be in but their overall resume is SLIGHTLY better than OSU. You state they won one less game but they also lost 1 less game, right? OSU got swept by 3 middle of the pack teams in their conference and that is what kept them out. If Trey is so marketable, why do they have ou playing at 11:15 am game???? :rolleyes:
Sorry, I'm a bit Old school and think head to head matters more than "resume," especially when "resume" is based on the outdated "rpi" crap shoot. OSU scheduled teams that in the past were very good (i.e. Pitt and College of Charlotte, ORU, Tulsa) no one knew they would all suck so terribly and drag us down, in the past these have been very good RPI teams...Look, sans Baylor, OSU didn't lose a single game to a non-tourney team...not one. It is what it is and I wouldn't even care if they didn't gift wrap ou in the tournament, and yes, they gave ou a semi easy game so they can match up with Duke $$$$...IMHO, no less than five teams deserved it over them...not just us. That's why I'm pissed...not that we didn't make it so much.

Sep 29, 2006
So Boynton agreed with you that the team didn't make the tournament because we have terrible fans who don't go to games? Direct me that quote please. I'll be playing my video games while waiting on you to find that. Thanks in advance.
Well HCMB is too classy to be a DBag like you. But here is Kendall Smith after the Baylor game - the game after us beating KU on the road.

Honestly, I think we're focusing on our crowd to pick us up too much,” Smith said. “We can't make that be our excuse. We still got to come out every night with the same mindset no matter who's in the crowd. I just think that we're focusing on that a little bit too much, and it can't be that way if you want to win.”

The DOK did an entire article on the poor crowd. So will you please just STFU and stop arguing about something you know nothing about. Go to your safe space and listen to self help books.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Well HCMB is too classy to be a DBag like you. But here is Kendall Smith after the Baylor game - the game after us beating KU on the road.

Honestly, I think we're focusing on our crowd to pick us up too much,” Smith said. “We can't make that be our excuse. We still got to come out every night with the same mindset no matter who's in the crowd. I just think that we're focusing on that a little bit too much, and it can't be that way if you want to win.”

The DOK did an entire article on the poor crowd. So will you please just STFU and stop arguing about something you know nothing about. Go to your safe space and listen to self help books.
You said it was the fans fault that we didn't make the tournament and that's what got this whole argument started. You then said that the coaches and the players pretty much said just that. They sure the hell didn't say that. Your Kendall Smith quote doesn't say that. You said a couple of posts up that Boynton said that, but now you say he is too classy to say that, but you know what he's really thinking. So dumb.

I'm not saying that we don't have attendance issues. But for you to say that it was the fans who didn't show up to the games direct fault for us not getting into the tourney is absolutely absurd.

BTW, you calling me a Dbag, millennial, someone who only plays video games and listens to self help books in my safe space isn't helping your arguments. Just shows me that you mad bro. LOL

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Local sports talk show in PHOENIX is crushing the selection committee for putting OU in and not OSU. The lack of judgment displayed in this bracketology absolutely takes the luster off the tournament. Every year the committee gets criticized, but this year seems to be the pinnacle of absurdity in their selections. Local talk show host said everyone on the committee should be fired.
How fun would it be if OSU caused the fall of the BCS and the reworking of the entire NCAA selection system and if we win tomorrow night there's the potential that we will be facing or have faced Stanford in both of those years.

Sent from my Moto G Play using Tapatalk

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Is it just me or would making the NIT game Tuesday free to attend make sense? We expected to make the NCAA which would of been away from GIA so why try to make money on the event besides concession? I think that would lead to better attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
General admission is only $10. Reserved is only $12. Student tickets are just $5. The cost of a ticket in no excuse to not be there.

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI RPI

USC --- NIT (#34 RPI) 23-11 Record, 6-5 on the road......

OU --- NCAA (#49 RPI) 18-13 Record, 2-9 on the road......

But OU was more deserving than OSU because their RPI was higher. Got it!