NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Dec 20, 2010
South Tulsa
You are obviously a millennial that has never played anything competitive. I’ll explain-a loud rowdy crowd creates adrenaline which makes you play at a higher level, a quiet small crowd disappoints and suppress adrenaline and can make you play below your ability. With a decent crowd we win at least one or two of BU, KSU, TCU. Crowds matter.
Please. You’re embarrassing yourself and you just keep at it. I cringe every time you post. Some here are even calling you a clown . But you’re not a clown. You’re a buffoon. It’s not fair to clowns to compare them to you.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
So we result to in-house bickering. Now this is OP. :). FWIW, all of my OU friends say we got hosed and most say we deserved in over them.

But let’s think back, besides myself, I am not sure how many on here thought we could even make the Big Dance at the beginning of the year. I figured we would win 7-9 conference games, but did not expect the conference to be so strong. It was an awesome achievement to even be where we were and unfortunately we fell just short. Great job by a coach who many didn’t want to even give a chance and great fight in these young men. Fact remains, if we didn’t lose Shine for that stretch when he was playing like our best player, we win a few more games and get in easily. In the end we really only have ourselves to blame with the close losses we had where we were in control the majority of the game.

As an OSU fan, I am used to getting the short end of the stick and this truly sux. But I hope we come out and play to our potential and build on this like TCU did last year. It could be worse. We could be sitting at home like Illinois.

Great job Coach Boynton!

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
You are obviously a millennial that has never played anything competitive. I’ll explain-a loud rowdy crowd creates adrenaline which makes you play at a higher level, a quiet small crowd disappoints and suppress adrenaline and can make you play below your ability. With a decent crowd we win at least one or two of BU, KSU, TCU. Crowds matter.
if we are a tournament worthy team, we should beat the likes of Baylor, KSU and TCU at home, regardless of crowd..........

Dec 6, 2013
That's true - we lost pretty much all of our midweek games. Why don't more students show up when they are already on campus?

Nov 18, 2011
Keep hearing "Full body of work" in reference to ou's early non conference. They played 3 tournament teams in non con and only beat one of those. We played 4 tournament teams in non con and also beat one of them. They apparently got a ton of credit for wins against teams that were preseason ranked or ranked at the time, then floundered. Yet we are punished because the teams on our schedule under performed down the stretch. I know, it's ultimately about Trae Young, and I should just quit trying to make sense of the committee.

Sep 16, 2004
Houston, TX
if we are a tournament worthy team, we should beat the likes of Baylor, KSU and TCU at home, regardless of crowd..........
And if we're not a tournament team, we shouldn't have beaten KU (a #1 seed) twice and we shouldn't have beaten WVU at their house...

We can do this all day.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Reaction from OSU players and coaches...

Mitchell Solomon said:
“I’m feeling everything,” Solomon said. “When you play and put that much passion into something and it doesn’t turn out the way you want it to, you kind of feel a lot of emotions.”
Coach Boynton said:
“I don’t think that anybody that was on that line, that got in or that didn’t get in, has a better collection of wins than we do. I’d be hard-pressed to see a team that has — someone may have one win better somewhere in there, but as a group of wins, I don’t know.”
Mark Cooper also addressed possible reasons why OSU was left out. Excerpt:

With an RPI of 90, Oklahoma State would have been the highest RPI team to receive an at-large bid in history.
And the fact the Cowboys scheduled five teams in the bottom 100 of the RPI turned out to be their death knell in a way, too.
OSU will play 8 p.m. Tuesday on ESPN, hosting Florida Gulf Coast. Mark previews FGCU here.

Nov 25, 2009
Weatherford, OK
Is it just me or would making the NIT game Tuesday free to attend make sense? We expected to make the NCAA which would of been away from GIA so why try to make money on the event besides concession? I think that would lead to better attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
"With an RPI of 90, Oklahoma State would have been the highest RPI team to receive an at-large bid in history.
And the fact the Cowboys scheduled five teams in the bottom 100 of the RPI turned out to be their death knell in a way, too"

How exactly were we to know that those teams would tank so successfully? It's not like you intentionally schedule like that.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Is it just me or would making the NIT game Tuesday free to attend make sense? We expected to make the NCAA which would of been away from GIA so why try to make money on the event besides concession? I think that would lead to better attendance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe just charge $3 a ticket just to cover costs and make a few small bucks.

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
"With an RPI of 90, Oklahoma State would have been the highest RPI team to receive an at-large bid in history.
And the fact the Cowboys scheduled five teams in the bottom 100 of the RPI turned out to be their death knell in a way, too"

How exactly were we to know that those teams would tank so successfully? It's not like you intentionally schedule like that.
I just watched an interview where HCMB made this exact point. How was he to know Pittsburgh would go 0-18 in the Big 10 (I actually had to look that one up - damn!). How was he to know Charlotte (I believe) would fire their coach a week after we played them.

Jay Bilas made this point as well when he said we are punishing the kids for scheduling decisions made by adults.

This whole RPI/Non Conference argument is BS.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
I just watched an interview where HCMB made this exact point. How was he to know Pittsburgh would go 0-18 in the Big 10 (I actually had to look that one up - damn!). How was he to know Charlotte (I believe) would fire their coach a week after we played them.

Jay Bilas made this point as well when he said we are punishing the kids for scheduling decisions made by adults.

This whole RPI/Non Conference argument is BS.
Someone tweeted last night that 5 of our opponents had their worst seasons in at least 20 years (40 years for one of them).

Sep 23, 2010
It's hard to get too upset about missing the tournament when you go 8-10 in league play. But then you see Oklahoma get in with the same league record and piss-poor effort down the stretch. It's frustrating because you can't see a consistent rationale for teams getting in. I would have felt a lot better about USC and even Nebraska getting in. At least they were well over .500 in a power 5 league. Too much is being put on the non-conference schedule. At some point winning has to trump scheduling.

Jan 2, 2005
There's one reason, and one reason only, that the Goons are in the tourney; Trae Young.

With the NBA considering allowing elite high school talent in the league again, the end of the one-and-done era at the doorstep and the NCAA is desperate to keep the talent. The Bromance that the talking heads had for him in December brings his "star power"(although one could argue that he is a lot of the reason they lost 12 of 19 since January) to the tourney for at least one game.

Frankly, I thing "one-and-done" was a failed experiment that did more damage than good so good riddance.

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Make a layup at Arkansas and stop a last second shot at Texas and we're in comfortably. It was 2 points, it was that close.
Nope, nope, nope. It was because the terrible, horrible, bottom of the barrel, low life's who dare to call themselves OSU fans didn't show up for a tuesday night game at 6pm. It's all their faults!

Jun 25, 2011
Local sports talk show in PHOENIX is crushing the selection committee for putting OU in and not OSU. The lack of judgment displayed in this bracketology absolutely takes the luster off the tournament. Every year the committee gets criticized, but this year seems to be the pinnacle of absurdity in their selections. Local talk show host said everyone on the committee should be fired.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
It's hard to get too upset about missing the tournament when you go 8-10 in league play. But then you see Oklahoma get in with the same league record and piss-poor effort down the stretch. It's frustrating because you can't see a consistent rationale for teams getting in. I would have felt a lot better about USC and even Nebraska getting in. At least they were well over .500 in a power 5 league. Too much is being put on the non-conference schedule. At some point winning has to trump scheduling.
Nebraska went 1-3 against the top 4 Big10 teams in the regular season and lost first round to Michigan by 19. 1-4 overall against the top 4 teams. Best non-conference win was @ home over Boston College. No way they should have been close to being considered.

USC best non-conf wins @ home over Middle Tenn and @ New Mexico State. 3-4 against the top teams in the conference regular season and lost to AZ, so 3-5 in those games. I would feel better about USC over OU, but I still think they are a weaker team than we are.