NCAA Tournament Discussion Thread

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
I didn't see a NCAA Tournament thread on this board, only a poll thread from last week.

We just swept KU and beat ou on a neutral court, so naturally there is a lot of chatter both on here and nationally about our chances in the NCAA tournament, and whether we belong over some of the other bubble teams, like the sooners. Beat KU and it's a moot point. I have seen lots of arguments about the RPI, an antiquated metric that shouldn't be the primary criteria for the selection committee. I also find it comical that the selection committee is using the quadrant system now, which also has major flaws (it's based on RPI!!). OSU is perceived favorably in some metrics (Quad 1 wins), but is penalized in others (RPI).

Pundits say we played a poor non-conference schedule. I disagree. We played Wichita St (home), Florida St (neutral), at Ark, Texas A&M (neutral). And yes, we played some cupcakes. Everyone plays cupcakes!!! So any RPI gurus out there...what if just didn't play Charlotte, Houston Baptist, and Mississippi Valley St? They all have sub-300 RPIs. Seriously, what if we just didn't play them (or played a 150 range RPI team)? What would our RPI be then? And who knew Pitt would be soooo bad?

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I didn't see a NCAA Tournament thread on this board, only a poll thread from last week.

We just swept KU and beat ou on a neutral court, so naturally there is a lot of chatter both on here and nationally about our chances in the NCAA tournament, and whether we belong over some of the other bubble teams, like the sooners. Beat KU and it's a moot point. I have seen lots of arguments about the RPI, an antiquated metric that shouldn't be the primary criteria for the selection committee. I also find it comical that the selection committee is using the quadrant system now, which also has major flaws (it's based on RPI!!). OSU is perceived favorably in some metrics (Quad 1 wins), but is penalized in others (RPI).

Pundits say we played a poor non-conference schedule. I disagree. We played Wichita St (home), Florida St (neutral), at Ark, Texas A&M (neutral). And yes, we played some cupcakes. Everyone plays cupcakes!!! So any RPI gurus out there...what if just didn't play Charlotte, Houston Baptist, and Mississippi Valley St? They all have sub-300 RPIs. Seriously, what if we just didn't play them (or played a 150 range RPI team)? What would our RPI be then? And who knew Pitt would be soooo bad?
Exactly! This is an ncaa tourney team. Easily now. Our true rpi should be top 40.

ksupoke

We don't need no, thot kuntrol
A/V Subscriber
Feb 16, 2011
dark sarcasm in the classroom
St Mary's has 15 times they didn't schedule to lose
Louisville has no business in the discussion

If Q1 record/wins are the factor we are being told then there are at least 10 teams currently in that the Pokes have a legitimate gripe with.
Another area I struggle with - the committee says they don't use last 10, ok that's great whole body of work BUT they do look at injuries, they don't look at fatigue or playing through injuries evidently only if a player is out does it get taken into consideration, most notably, Mo and ND.
That makes not a lick of sense but it's the ncaa so I guess it makes all the sense in the world.

Nov 30, 2015
Broken Arrow
In Lunardi's latest projection he has OU in his last four in and has us as the first team out. That is just wild to me. OU has been playing bad basketball for almost two months now and we've now beaten them 2 out of 3 times. A 3rd win against Kansas should erase all doubt though.

Last edited:

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
St Mary's has 15 times they didn't schedule to lose
Louisville has no business in the discussion

If Q1 record/wins are the factor we are being told then there are at least 10 teams currently in that the Pokes have a legitimate gripe with.
Another area I struggle with - the committee says they don't use last 10, ok that's great whole body of work BUT they do look at injuries, they don't look at fatigue or playing through injuries evidently only if a player is out does it get taken into consideration, most notably, Mo and ND.
That makes not a lick of sense but it's the ncaa so I guess it makes all the sense in the world.
I scratch my head on the injuries thing. So Porter Jr is back for Mizzou and Colson is back for ND? So they get "credit" for their earlier losses because someone was injured? Okay...well Shine missed 4 Big 12 games & Arkansas (Smith missed Ark as well). OSU went 1-4 in those games. Doubt they'll take that into consideration.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Well we did play a bad non-con schedule though. All teams play some bad teams in the non-con but we played some atrocious teams, seriously several ranked below 250 I believe. We beat them like you're supposed to so I'm not sure what else you can do about it. Even the good teams we played were not all that great, with only WSU still being ranked right now. If SOS and RPI were the only metrics being used then an argument could be made that OSU doesn't deserve to be in.

But those aren't the only metrics being used. We have no losses to teams not currently predicted in the tourney while several teams predicted to be in have multiple losses to teams not in. We also have 6 Q1 wins which is as much as (or more than) any other team on the bubble. And if it comes down to ou vs OSU for the last B12 spot, then scoreboard. Unfortunately I don't trust the committee to put us in over ou if we lose today.

We need to win today, but if we should lose, then we need some other games to go our way. For example, we need Duke to beat Notre Dame today and beat them handily.

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Is Joe Castiglione Chairman of the selection committee?
I believe that I heard that there is no Big 12 representation on the basketball committee this year. Hope some on the committee have our backs!

Joe is on the football committee in 2018 (not chairman).

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
I scratch my head on the injuries thing. So Porter Jr is back for Mizzou and Colson is back for ND? So they get "credit" for their earlier losses because someone was injured? Okay...well Shine missed 4 Big 12 games & Arkansas (Smith missed Ark as well). OSU went 1-4 in those games. Doubt they'll take that into consideration.
Speaking of injuries, Azubukie is out today. If we beat KU (again!), the haters will say it's because their starting center is out and they weren't at full strength! :confused:

lakepoke

Greenhorn
Feb 20, 2007
If we are left out, there will be no end of the questions as to why! I will be looking forward to the answers. And I'm glad I won't be one of the people getting the questions.

pokes16

Territorial Marshal
Oct 16, 2003
Tulsa
Lunardi suffering from confirmation bias.

LOVED MB's comment on the radio last night. 'We were not here to beat OU of Kansas. We are here to win the whole thing. And when we win the whole thing they can't keep us out of the tourney no matter how hard they try."

Bungus

Wrangler
Apr 26, 2007
Dallas, TX
Check out this video from Golic and Wingo this morning! And I transcribed some of it. Notice how Lundari stutters and mumbles trying to find reasons why Oklahoma State should be left out!

http://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=22689758

Golic:
..it seems Oklahoma in all the measures are better than Oklahoma State, so how do you see this one playing out?

Lunardi:
(starting at 0:45 mark) ...I think when you look at the Oklahomas, if you will, you have to really dive in and look at, as crazy as it sounds, since they both beaten really good teams, who did they lose to? And in Oklahoma State’s case, uh, the, the, som, some of, err, sum, some of the losses and also some of the wins in the non-conference were weaker.

Uh, in the old days when we would have a column of record in last 10 or record in last 12, the sooners would have a big, you know, red number there. Uh, but that’s not the way they do it anymore, nd I think they’ll sneak in. And I think Oklahoma State may yet make it as well. There are 2 or 3 teams ahead of them, I’ve got them 69 now and Notre Dame 70. There are teams ahead of them that are more likely to play their way out than hold their spot in the next 2 or 3 days.

Mar 21, 2005
Dallas
SI just released their updates bracket watch projection and has the pokes in as an 11 seed, and Baylor as a last four in playing in the first four games. They have 9 big12 teams in.

Jan 8, 2009
Plano
I agree we should be in overall especially looking at who we beat. But did we play down to good but not great conference foes? Weren't we swept by tcu, Baylor and kstate? Win one of those 6 games and we are in no disputes.