NCAA to allow players to be paid for their likeness

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
This isn't about selling the free stuff they get from bowls. My guess is the NCAA still won't allow that.* However, if someone sells a jersey with their name and number on it then the athlete can get a cut. If they use their picture on, say, a video game then the athlete can get a cut.

*In my mind, if you give a kid something then it is theirs to do with as they wish. If you don't want them to do with as they wish then don't give it to them.
I think they'll fix that rule. I've always thought it was dumb, because I agree. It's their stuff.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
I think they'll fix that rule. I've always thought it was dumb, because I agree. It's their stuff.
Right. If you don't want them to do with it as they wish, don't give it to them until they leave. Otherwise, it's theirs.

My parents sponsored a hole-in-one contest for a recliner for a MDA golf benefit. A college kid hit a hole-in-one and won the recliner. He told my parents he was going to sell it because he needed the money. There were no rules keeping him from doing that. I can't remember, my parents may have just given him the cash for what the recliner was worth to save a delivery - that seems like something they would do.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Right. If you don't want them to do with it as they wish, don't give it to them until they leave. Otherwise, it's theirs.

My parents sponsored a hole-in-one contest for a recliner for a MDA golf benefit. A college kid hit a hole-in-one and won the recliner. He told my parents he was going to sell it because he needed the money. There were no rules keeping him from doing that. I can't remember, my parents may have just given him the cash for what the recliner was worth to save a delivery - that seems like something they would do.
I understand the sentiment, but it raises the same issue as no-show jobs. An OSU player might sell his Texas bowl jersey/swag for a hundred bucks, or maybe a grand to a monied alum. An Alabama player might get fifty grand from an alum, just so they can let recruits know they'll be taken care of.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I understand the sentiment, but it raises the same issue as no-show jobs. An OSU player might sell his Texas bowl jersey/swag for a hundred bucks, or maybe a grand to a monied alum. An Alabama player might get fifty grand from an alum, just so they can let recruits know they'll be taken care of.
Right. I think the solution, which I've proposed here before, is just to pay everyone. Everyone gets the same thing.

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
If the NCAA does proceed with players getting paid for their likeness, I would like to see it pan out like this. When anyone is recruited and signed to the university, at that moment they can either take the athletic scholarship, room/board, etc OR they can choose to be paid for their likeness. They would also not be allowed to change that decision later. That deal would likely make almost everyone but an elite few take the scholarship and would hopefully help keep some parity in college football.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
If the NCAA does proceed with players getting paid for their likeness, I would like to see it pan out like this. When anyone is recruited and signed to the university, at that moment they can either take the athletic scholarship, room/board, etc OR they can choose to be paid for their likeness. They would also not be allowed to change that decision later. That deal would likely make almost everyone but an elite few take the scholarship and would hopefully help keep some parity in college football.
I will bet it does otherwise to parity. Wanna take the bet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
I will bet it does otherwise to parity. Wanna take the bet?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Alabama and the blue bloods can only take on so many kids that wanna get paid. But they will get enough to tip the balance further their way.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
The can of worms this opens up, is like said above, the no-show job situation. The NCAA can't police this. There's no way.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Alabama and the blue bloods can only take on so many kids that wanna get paid. But they will get enough to tip the balance further their way.

Correct, but relaxed transfer rules will also contribute to this situation, imo.

I agree with your other post, though, & don't see any way the NCAA can police this, at all. This is the no-show job situation on steroids.