NCAA to allow players to be paid for their likeness

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
Over 11,000 FBS players...I wonder if they will get equal pay across the board, or how they will value each players likeness.
There is no end to it. Women will sue for some sort of corporate title IX even though there may not be a market for the product. Other sports will demand accommodation. I see why this bridge hasn’t been crossed before.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
I was thinking of athletes being paid by the makers of Madden football. Nearly every team and player’s image is on there. If the schools received payment for that it’s wrong imo.
How so?? No school, no player image. Why shouldn't the schools receive at least a portion?? Or are you just referring to schools solely making the profit?

Oct 30, 2007
The only way I could possibly be in favor of this is if the NCAA banned athletes from accepting sponsorships from local businesses or businesses with ties to a specific university. I don't want to see mega boosters essentially buy top prospects for their universities through sponsorships.

Semi-professional sports aren't nearly as popular as collegiate sports. Most die off because they aren't profitable. I would hate to see the popularity of collegiate sports destroyed by this change.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
How so?? No school, no player image. Why shouldn't the schools receive at least a portion?? Or are you just referring to schools solely making the profit?
Schools make more than enough off of popular sports teams. If they didn’t they couldn’t pay for scholarships. They take in corporate money for logos and uniforms and license products regularly. I just don’t think the schools should make a profit on student athletes name, or image. They own their own person. Even selling jerseys with their names on them is questionable to me if they don’t get something out of it. But I don’t know what would be fair.

Jul 22, 2011
The only way I could possibly be in favor of this is if the NCAA banned athletes from accepting sponsorships from local businesses or businesses with ties to a specific university. I don't want to see mega boosters essentially buy top prospects for their universities through sponsorships.

Semi-professional sports aren't nearly as popular as collegiate sports. Most die off because they aren't profitable. I would hate to see the popularity of collegiate sports destroyed by this change.
Nike (*or insert other wealthy booster/school) could afford to have a stable of athletes on retainer for Oregon* as backups to their recruiting class. They could pay players NOT to go to school.

Oct 30, 2007
Nike (*or insert other wealthy booster/school) could afford to have a stable of athletes on retainer for Oregon* as backups to their recruiting class. They could pay players NOT to go to school.
This could have all kinds of unintended consequences if they aren't careful. Just imagine if alumni from schools like Harvard & Yale started buying players through sponsorships. The landscape of college sports could change quickly if this isn't done right.

Jul 22, 2011
This could have all kinds of unintended consequences if they aren't careful. Just imagine if alumni from schools like Harvard & Yale started buying players through sponsorships. The landscape of college sports could change quickly if this isn't done right.
Once the point is conceded that these are professional athletes, it is only fair to open any number of lawsuits.

Shouldn't ESPN/FOX/CBS be paying them for use of their footage in broadcasts and highlight reels?
What happens if a player says "No, you can't show me on TV without paying me"?

New can, same worms.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Schools make more than enough off of popular sports teams. If they didn’t they couldn’t pay for scholarships. They take in corporate money for logos and uniforms and license products regularly. I just don’t think the schools should make a profit on student athletes name, or image. They own their own person. Even selling jerseys with their names on them is questionable to me if they don’t get something out of it. But I don’t know what would be fair.
I see where you're coming from, I just don't personally agree.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
It can't be done right. It's why it should never be allowed. I was listening the other day on the radio when they were talking about this. Basically called anyone against this a bunch of whiny *itches. This was in response to someone who was not an athlete, but a tough major, calling in and talking about no one paid them above a few scholarships. They had to work an actual job and pay for their own food and such just to get their degree. Yeah, so whiny. If the guys aren't here to get a degree then just try the semi pro route and be done with it. It'll die and they can get this stupid idea out of their heads.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Jul 22, 2011
It can't be done right. It's why it should never be allowed. I was listening the other day on the radio when they were talking about this. Basically called anyone against this a bunch of whiny *itches. This was in response to someone who was not an athlete, but a tough major, calling in and talking about no one paid them above a few scholarships. They had to work an actual job and pay for their own food and such just to get their degree. Yeah, so whiny. If the guys aren't here to get a degree then just try the semi pro route and be done with it. It'll die and they can get this stupid idea out of their heads.

The problem with that is, there really isn't a semi-pro route to go on. ABA and AFL are jokes. There is no incentive for NFL and NBA to pump money into marketing and infrastructure for farm leagues when they've got America's publicly funded universities doing their work for them.

I don't disagree that players are being exploited and they deserve to be paid for their likenesses, but the problem is collegiate athletics was never meant to be the money-making behemoth it has become. By letting "professional athletes" who have zero interest in an education monopolize the rosters of every major university, they are taking scholarships out of the hands of serious students who will never set foot on a pro field or court.

That has worked out great for women's sports under Title IX, but if you're a guy and you don't play one of the "BIG 2" sports, good luck paying your way through college.

No wonder dudes in dresses have started invading and dominating women's sports! ;)

Oct 30, 2007
Another interesting angle to this is the fact that there is legislation being proposed to treat athletes as employees, and they'll have to pay taxes on everything they receive from the university. Think about the cost of tuition, housing, training table, clothing, tutoring, etc. Full scholarship athletes could have to pay several thousand every year in federal taxes.

This could end up being great for a handful of players, and disastrous for everyone else.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Another interesting angle to this is the fact that there is legislation being proposed to treat athletes as employees, and they'll have to pay taxes on everything they receive from the university. Think about the cost of tuition, housing, training table, clothing, tutoring, etc. Full scholarship athletes could have to pay several thousand every year in federal taxes.

This could end up being great for a handful of players, and disastrous for everyone else.
Another reason why this won't work.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
This is a disastrous move. If you thought the “Blue Bloods” had an advantage before, the non-elite programs will be left in the dust. Every player will go where they can make the most money. Might as well create a Division with Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, OU, USC, Michigan and Texas and let everyone else play in another league. The schools with the big money donors and media contracts will monopolize the “paid” athlete market. Say goodbye to college sports as you have known and loved it.....

Jul 22, 2011
This is a disastrous move. If you thought the “Blue Bloods” had an advantage before, the non-elite programs will be left in the dust. Every player will go where they can make the most money. Might as well create a Division with Bama, Clemson, Georgia, Ohio State, LSU, OU, USC, Michigan and Texas and let everyone else play in another league. The schools with the big money donors and media contracts will monopolize the “paid” athlete market. Say goodbye to college sports as you have known and loved it.....
A fixed 10 team bracket of College Football's professional teams. Every year, the winner of that playoff gets to play Notre Dame for the National Championship. [That was always my dad's joke]

Well

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Dec 17, 2009
Personally, I really hate this idea. College sports is supposed to be "extracurricular", and secondary to getting a degree. Change that status and the fundemental concept of college sports changes to professional status. The entire institution of college is lessened even more than it already is with the school loan fiasco. If this goes into effect, then at least it should be an inverse relationship for those receiving money for their image, e.g. if a player is on scholarship, then whatever that athete makes professionally should lower the amount of scholorship monies received. Then those schlorship monies could conceivably go to someone who would actually need it, al be it as an atheltic or educational scholorship.

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
Personally, I really hate this idea. College sports is supposed to be "extracurricular", and secondary to getting a degree. Change that status and the fundemental concept of college sports changes to professional status. The entire institution of college is lessened even more than it already is with the school loan fiasco. If this goes into effect, then at least it should be an inverse relationship for those receiving money for their image, e.g. if a player is on scholarship, then whatever that athete makes professionally should lower the amount of scholorship monies received. Then those schlorship monies could conceivably go to someone who would actually need it, al be it as an atheltic or educational scholorship.
Except they aren't being paid specifically for playing sports. That's taken care of with the school in the form of housing, free education, food, clothing, yada yada yada. This rule just allows them to make money if their own name is used in something. Before, student athletes would get in trouble if they sold the free stuff they got in bowl packages, etc. They have little time for jobs during the season. I think this just makes sense. And yes, I do agree that this will only really help the big name players who are going to be millionaires anyway, but I think a lot of the concerns are overblown.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
Except they aren't being paid specifically for playing sports. That's taken care of with the school in the form of housing, free education, food, clothing, yada yada yada. This rule just allows them to make money if their own name is used in something. Before, student athletes would get in trouble if they sold the free stuff they got in bowl packages, etc. They have little time for jobs during the season. I think this just makes sense. And yes, I do agree that this will only really help the big name players who are going to be millionaires anyway, but I think a lot of the concerns are overblown.
This isn't about selling the free stuff they get from bowls. My guess is the NCAA still won't allow that.* However, if someone sells a jersey with their name and number on it then the athlete can get a cut. If they use their picture on, say, a video game then the athlete can get a cut.

*In my mind, if you give a kid something then it is theirs to do with as they wish. If you don't want them to do with as they wish then don't give it to them.