NCAA to allow players to be paid for their likeness

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
If you read what the actual statement says, it is just a smokescreen by the NCAA to try and bye time and get the politicians off their backs. It says NOTHING about actually allowing payment. It says they'll think on how to implement it and will be back in 2021 with their decision.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Bowers2

Stackin' Joe's Cups
A/V Subscriber
Jul 31, 2006
Edmond
I'm fine with it. Seems pretty capitalistic to me.
Yep. As long as it doesn't involve the schools directly paying student athletes a salary for playing sports, because the schools already provide enough, I'm okay with it.

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Meh... I dunno. Like it's already been pointed out, seems like this has the potential to only benefit blueblood programs. It's going to "push" recruits to those places that have the funding and prestige to promote their name AND get their name on primetime every weekend... so they can make more money.*

Bama.
Texas.
Notre Dame.
oU.
LSU.
etc.
etc.
etc.

And the parity just widens.

*Guess it's really no different than today's recruiting world though.

Jul 22, 2011
Bold new idea!!

Why not have the college football/basketball teams that can afford it, just separate from their Universities and the NCAA entirely. They could retain their logos and mascots but they could pay their players as much as they wanted (staying within the league negotiated salary cap of course). They wouldn't be restricted by dumb shit like grades, classes, eligibility requirements or age restrictions. They could recruit players out of the colleges or off the street or wherever! Players would even be free to switch from one team to another. The players could hire agents and managers and publicists and they could negotiate endorsement deals of their own. It would be a totally new thing that no one's ever done before!

Last edited:

kaboy42

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2007
Bold new idea!!

Why not have the college football/basketball teams that can afford it, just separate from their Universities and the NCAA entirely. They could retain their logos and mascots but they could pay their players as much as they wanted (staying within the league negotiated salary cap of course). They wouldn't be restricted by dumb shit like grades, classes, eligibility requirements or age restrictions. They could recruit players out of the colleges or off the street or wherever! Players would even be free to switch from one team to another. The players could hire agents and managers and publicists and they could negotiate endorsement deals of their own. It would be a totally new thing that no one's ever done before!
Oh oh OH… I like it! Plus 90% of the players could be total dirtbag, self absorbed, prima donna's constantly seeking attention with "look at me" antics and outbursts. And the fans will love it!

This dog may just hunt. <thinkingemoji.jpg>

Jul 22, 2011
Hello son, I own a car dealership in Oklahoma City. If you agree to play football for the sooners, I'd be willing to use your likeness in my commercials....It pays $50,000.
Hello son, here at Alabama we have a deal with Walmart to sell our t-shirts nationwide. How would you like your picture on one of those t-shirts?

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field
I was thinking of athletes being paid by the makers of Madden football. Nearly every team and player’s image is on there. If the schools received payment for that it’s wrong imo.

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
I was thinking of athletes being paid by the makers of Madden football. Nearly every team and player’s image is on there. If the schools received payment for that it’s wrong imo.
Over 11,000 FBS players...I wonder if they will get equal pay across the board, or how they will value each players likeness.

Jul 22, 2011
Madden was NFL. EA once had NCAA Football which never used the names of players, but it had a relative facsimile of the likeness. Enough so that they were sued into not producing the game after '12. Schools got money for the use of their logos, stadiums, unis.

I think, as the graphics got better and better, the argument could no longer be made that the likenesses weren't being used. Also, with online play, custom rosters could be uploaded.

(Not)Tim Tebow for example:
1572446131452.png

Nov 8, 2007
Bartlesville
Madden was NFL. EA once had NCAA Football which never used the names of players, but it had a relative facsimile of the likeness. Enough so that they were sued into not producing the game after '12. Schools got money for the use of their logos, stadiums, unis.

I think, as the graphics got better and better, the argument could no longer be made that the likenesses weren't being used. Also, with online play, custom rosters could be uploaded.

View attachment 74517
EA announced yesterday that they were already making plans to start making NCAA football again.

Pokey

Territorial Marshal
Sep 13, 2013
Left field

View attachment 74517
Sorry, son played both, I played neither. But corporations should have to pay.