NCAA Men's Golf Championships at Karsten Creek

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Aug 16, 2012
How can you make this argument knowing that you could beat someone by nearly 20 strokes in match play and still lose? Clearly stroke play gives the “superior” player a better chance to win. Match play is damn exciting though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are at this level of golf and you beat someone by 20 strokes, there is no way you would lose. Winning by 20 strokes means you were a full stroke better than your opponent on every hole so there is a likelihood that you won the vast majority of the holes. First, rarely is there a 20 stroke swing across a match that would be considered close (if at all). Of all the holes played yesterday, only six were determined by more than 1 stroke. The odds of a "Sergio hole" are slim. Sure it happens from time to time, but that is an anomaly, not the norm.
Thing is, has anyone gone back to look at 2014 or any other match play loss to see if it would have been won by stroke play? My money is on there is not, or if there is, it is rare.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Well, maybe next year! Lose Ventura but that maybe it, lots of other guys ready to step in. Likely #1 ranked team next year to start out.

Who are the others ready to step in? Are there redshirts not listed on the roster? Roster shows six possible returning players plus the signee from Denmark. Four out of the current ten players are seniors.
Hayden Wood is who I was specifically thinking of. His dad played on the PGA Tour and he is the 190th ranked amateur in the world.

Also, every player we return will get better and move up the rankings due to people turning pro in front of them.

LakeCowboy

1945 National Champions
A/V Subscriber
May 14, 2009
Edmond, OK
The Big 12 Championship needs to switch to 3 days of stroke play and then Match play for the championship just like the SEC. Its a great way to prepare Big 12 teams for the NCAA's.

Nov 19, 2013
I would assume Hayden Wood will have something to say about who’s ready to step up. Also, can’t count out Nick Heinen. Hopefully both stay. Noticed Tyson Reeder, former player, transferred to Arkansas and they made it to the last day (top 15) this week. Golf is so hard because it’s an individual sport when it comes to the travel guys, but it’s also an awesome team sport. There are so many good players and when Holder said our 6-10 could play anywhere it’s true. Look at what some of the non travel guys did in US Open qualifying this year.
Oh, that's my assumption too, just found that info and was excited to share. A lot of great golfers returning and coming over the next couple years! Great times continue ahead! :D

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
The Big 12 Championship needs to switch to 3 days of stroke play and then Match play for the championship just like the SEC. Its a great way to prepare Big 12 teams for the NCAA's.

This conference's leadership continues to draw a paycheck and literally not do anything. Their lack of forward-thinking is really quite remarkable on so many levels.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
This conference's leadership continues to draw a paycheck and literally not do anything. Their lack of forward-thinking is really quite remarkable on so many levels.
Uhhh... The Big 12 is leading the charge on several institutional changes on the NCAA level.

There's the transfer rule proposal: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article197462214.html

Streaming sports rights with Flo... we are most familiar with this in wrestling, but they also have partnerships with the Big 12 in volleyball, swimming, track and field, and softball. http://www.flosports.tv/big-12-expa...live-stream-2018-winter-spring-championships/

There are several other things that the Big 12 is involved in that are very forward thinking.

Just because you don't like the Texas TV deal or the fact that we only have 10 teams doesn't mean the conference has poor leadership. Also don't believe everything you hear on the national level. The Big 12 is primed to be in great position when these conference television deals are renegotiated... because the current model is going to bankrupt the cash cow that is ESPN and Fox. Conferences will revert back to being more regional and the one that has made inroads in streaming (ours) will be the one that has the most flexibility.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Oh and this.

https://twitter.com/jake_trotter/status/1002589991661375490?s=21

And when you include our third tier rights we are probably making significantly more than even the largest brands in the Pac 12 and ACC.

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Uhhh... The Big 12 is leading the charge on several institutional changes on the NCAA level.

There's the transfer rule proposal: http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/college/big-12/texas-christian-university/article197462214.html

Streaming sports rights with Flo... we are most familiar with this in wrestling, but they also have partnerships with the Big 12 in volleyball, swimming, track and field, and softball. http://www.flosports.tv/big-12-expa...live-stream-2018-winter-spring-championships/

There are several other things that the Big 12 is involved in that are very forward thinking.

Just because you don't like the Texas TV deal or the fact that we only have 10 teams doesn't mean the conference has poor leadership. Also don't believe everything you hear on the national level. The Big 12 is primed to be in great position when these conference television deals are renegotiated... because the current model is going to bankrupt the cash cow that is ESPN and Fox. Conferences will revert back to being more regional and the one that has made inroads in streaming (ours) will be the one that has the most flexibility.
yeah, the league was so much forward thinking that they allowed UT to run off 4 teams and only replaced them w/ 2. they didn't go and find 2 more teams while they were available. then they didn't realize the importance of a big 12 conf championship game until it was too late. they may be doing better now, but they screwed the pooch and but the big 12 behind the 8 ball. there's a good chance this league won't be around too much longer..........

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
yeah, the league was so much forward thinking that they allowed UT to run off 4 teams and only replaced them w/ 2. they didn't go and find 2 more teams while they were available. then they didn't realize the importance of a big 12 conf championship game until it was too late. they may be doing better now, but they screwed the pooch and but the big 12 behind the 8 ball. there's a good chance this league won't be around too much longer..........
The Big 12 is thriving financially... There's no chance that the Big 12 is going anywhere. Nobody is looking to leave.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
you don't know that............. there's a lot more money to be made and teams will follow the $$ signs............
Look two posts above your previous one. Big 12 has the third largest payout behind the SEC and ACC by school... and with third tier media rights being controlled by the individual schools it is not even close. Oklahoma State, for example, is making significantly more annually in media and conference redistribution funds than USC, UCLA, Oregon, Duke, North Carolina, Miami, and several other larger brands.

I also know that the SEC and Big 10 are not interested in expansion... so where would any Big 12 program go that would be better than the Big 12? If anything, ACC and Pac 12 schools could be looking to join the Big 12.

So... yeah... instead of your glass being half empty, maybe you should look at how full the aquifer is?

Cro

Sheriff
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Look two posts above your previous one. Big 12 has the third largest payout behind the SEC and ACC by school... and with third tier media rights being controlled by the individual schools it is not even close. Oklahoma State, for example, is making significantly more annually in media and conference redistribution funds than USC, UCLA, Oregon, Duke, North Carolina, Miami, and several other larger brands.

I also know that the SEC and Big 10 are not interested in expansion... so where would any Big 12 program go that would be better than the Big 12? If anything, ACC and Pac 12 schools could be looking to join the Big 12.

So... yeah... instead of your glass being half empty, maybe you should look at how full the aquifer is?
i hope you're right and the big 12 survives......... just b/c you say it's so doesn't mean it's true, though. many think that the big 12's days are numbered.......... and i'm not talking about message board posters. time will tell.....

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
i hope you're right and the big 12 survives......... just b/c you say it's so doesn't mean it's true, though. many think that the big 12's days are numbered.......... and i'm not talking about message board posters. time will tell.....
Dude... wtf... I posted links to other sources! I'm not making shit up! Are you being a dick on purpose?

Jun 14, 2013
Oh, that's my assumption too, just found that info and was excited to share. A lot of great golfers returning and coming over the next couple years! Great times continue ahead! :D

First, OSU had an outstanding team this year that accomplished their mission of a national championship.
Second, no doubt Wood, Heinen, and RNP are very good players and will fill some of the holes left by the four seniors.

But, so far as publicly announced, that leaves only seven players that are possible/probable for next year. Are there any red-shirts or JUCO's currently being stashed?
And three of those seven (Bachou, Wood, and Heinen) will be seniors next year. And when will the money lure the very talented underclassmen?

Even though the cabinet now has quite a bit of "fine china", it does not sound as if it is fully stocked. Hopefully, the recent television exposure will cause some quality transfers and new signees to take a hard look.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
First, OSU had an outstanding team this year that accomplished their mission of a national championship.
Second, no doubt Wood, Heinen, and RNP are very good players and will fill some of the holes left by the four seniors.

But, so far as publicly announced, that leaves only seven players that are possible/probable for next year. Are there any red-shirts or JUCO's currently being stashed?
And three of those seven (Bachou, Wood, and Heinen) will be seniors next year. And when will the money lure the very talented underclassmen?

Even though the cabinet now has quite a bit of "fine china", it does not sound as if it is fully stocked. Hopefully, the recent television exposure will cause some quality transfers and new signees to take a hard look.
It's fully stocked. We have 4 guys coming back from the championship team and 3 guys that would be starters for other programs that couldn't get in the lineup. 2019 we see one of the most highly touted recruits since Fowler coming in. You can only start 5 and we have much more than that returning.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Oklahoma State men’s golf coach Alan Bratton and freshman Matthew Wolff received national recognition from the Golf Coaches Association of America.

Bratton was named the Dave Williams National Coach of the Year, and Wolff was tabbed the Phil Mickelson Award winner, which honors the nation’s top freshman.
Link