NCAA Men's Golf Championships at Karsten Creek

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I think you're in the minority that likes this format. I know we won it this year but as has been said previously, golf team titles should be based on stroke play just like PGA major tournaments are. The way you play each 'game' (Stroke or Match) is completely different. So what if you get an 8 on a hole in match play, still only counts as 1 down. Players can play more aggressive with much less consequences so more average players can stay closer with good players just by the fact that each hole represents only 1. I just am not a fan.
And that is exactly the reason I love match play. I hate the fact that 1 hole can ruin the round. Match play is far more exciting than stroke play when it comes to team competition. I like the fact that stroke play eliminates the bad teams leading into the match play. Yea, I'm in the minority but I love the format. I also like the fact that ALL 5 players are a factor in match play and there is no throwing out the worst score.
This would never happen, but what if teams were rewarded for season long excellence by starting one up in certain matches based on the discrepancy in rankings? This would penalize teams like Duke that are only ranked 28, but get hot late in the season and get into match play.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jonkr06

Territorial Marshal
Aug 18, 2007
Katy, TX
Realize he is playing at the Memorial right now, but I have to admit I am really surprised Rickie did not tweet congratulations, especially when JT busted his chops with the Roll Tide ball marks comment two days ago.
I hear ya - a bit surprised as well. Though, his last tweet was like four days ago and it was to promote the Cowboy Golf Camp. So, I'm sure once he has some free time he will unleash something to support the team's accomplishments.
Lots of 'likes' from him on Instagram yesterday. Golf Channel also interviewed him right after the win and he had nothing but good things to say about the team.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
This would never happen, but what if teams were rewarded for season long excellence by starting one up in certain matches based on the discrepancy in rankings? This would penalize teams like Duke that are only ranked 28, but get hot late in the season and get into match play.

I see what you're getting at but that wouldn't be fair. You could/would then point to bias in rankings just like in football. It's best to just keep it simple and let the total score determine the winner, not the winner of the most arbitrary holes based on match ups determined by coaches. The fact that the winner is possibly based on lucky pairing on the day of undermines the whole thing.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
New article from Kelly Hines...

STILLWATER — Wearing a long-sleeved white dress shirt, an orange tie and khakis, Oklahoma State athletic director Mike Holder was the sweatiest but perhaps most elated spectator at Karsten Creek on Wednesday afternoon.

Holder walked every hole with unflappable lead golfer Viktor Hovland, holding each pin and quietly witnessing the top-ranked Cowboys steamroll Alabama 5-0 en route to the program’s 11th national championship. Eight of those occurred in Holder’s three-decade tenure as head coach.

“Of all the teams that I’ve been associated with, this is the best one,” Holder said. “Alan Bratton having played for us — I coached him — and now he’s stepped up. He’s the fourth coach here and every coach won a national championship, so he’s a member of the club. I’m proud of him.”
Link

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

I see what you're getting at but that wouldn't be fair. You could/would then point to bias in rankings just like in football. It's best to just keep it simple and let the total score determine the winner, not the winner of the most arbitrary holes based on match ups determined by coaches. The fact that the winner is possibly based on lucky pairing on the day of undermines the whole thing.
I agree that stroke play is the best way to determine the true champion, however, Holder is right that match play generates a lot more excitement and could really help to grow the game if they get the tv schedule corrected (ie hold match play on the weekend, so people can actually watch). I hate that match play has cost the pokes two titles, but damn it is exciting. Now that we have the match play monkey off of our back, hopefully we can go into it with less pressure and expect to smoke teams going forward with our top to bottom superior lineup.

Nov 19, 2013
Who are the others ready to step in? Are there redshirts not listed on the roster? Roster shows six possible returning players plus the signee from Denmark. Four out of the current ten players are seniors.
We have a really highly touted guy in Rayhan Thomas coming in next year from India/UAE. He's currently the 31st ranked amateur in the world, here's the current Cowboys by comparison: Hovland (7), Bauchou (23), Wolff (37), Ventura (49), and Eckroat (128). Also I found this article on him and found this quote pretty exciting:

"Last September he was T-2 in his title defense at Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club (Thomas’ home course since 2014), making more headlines by rattling off nine consecutive birdies in a second-round, 10-under 61. That tied a record in Official World Golf Ranking events that was previously set by Mark Calcavecchia at the 2009 Canadian Open."

https://golfweek.com/2018/01/07/oklahoma-state-commit-rayhan-thomas-continues-to-realize-potential/

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX
Now that we have the match play monkey off of our back, hopefully we can go into it with less pressure and expect to smoke teams going forward with our top to bottom superior lineup.
This is why I'm OK with it. We should, every year, have 5 of the best golfers in the country. If our opponent has only 3 or 4 with weak link(s), it is very hard for them to beat us in a best of 5 match.

Nov 19, 2013
We have a really highly touted guy in Rayhan Thomas coming in next year from India/UAE. He's currently the 31st ranked amateur in the world, here's the current Cowboys by comparison: Hovland (7), Bauchou (23), Wolff (37), Ventura (49), and Eckroat (128). Also I found this article on him and found this quote pretty exciting:

"Last September he was T-2 in his title defense at Dubai Creek Golf and Yacht Club (Thomas’ home course since 2014), making more headlines by rattling off nine consecutive birdies in a second-round, 10-under 61. That tied a record in Official World Golf Ranking events that was previously set by Mark Calcavecchia at the 2009 Canadian Open."

https://golfweek.com/2018/01/07/oklahoma-state-commit-rayhan-thomas-continues-to-realize-potential/
I misread that, he'll be coming in Fall 2019. Next year we'll be getting Rasmus Neergaard-Peterson, he's ranked 268 in the WAGR, so another really good one!

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I really don't have any gripes with the format, and never have really.

What doesn't make any sense at all is that there are no tournaments during the year that give teams the opportunity to play in this format. That is just ridiculous.

And why not us? Host a yearly tournament at Karsten and call it the Cowboy Match Play Invitational. Why hasn't something like this happened?

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

What doesn't make any sense at all is that there are no tournaments during the year that give teams the opportunity to play in this format. That is just ridiculous.

And why not us? Host a yearly tournament at Karsten and call it the Cowboy Match Play Invitational. Why hasn't something like this happened?
This is where I'm at. I love the suspense of match play and if we would quit finishing first in stroke play, then I would think it's a great way to determine a national champ:derp:. I hope at some point we can win the match play without winning stroke play. Maybe then we'd feel like we got one back.

Anyway, back to the main point of your post. How many teams usually play in a college tournament during the regular season and how many days do they play? Unless you want to wear the players out by having them play 36 holds a day for 3 days straight, it seems like 32 would be the maximum number of teams. Even then, you would need to play 36 holes a day twice just to finish in 4 days.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
This is why I'm OK with it. We should, every year, have 5 of the best golfers in the country. If our opponent has only 3 or 4 with weak link(s), it is very hard for them to beat us in a best of 5 match.
Have you ever played a competitive round of match play? It is honestly the easiest way for more average players to win. When you get to this level it is all about consistency in stroke play. In match play you can be wildly inconsistent and still win. I don't see how anyone can think this is a good thing beyond an excitement level of keeping matches close. We dominated in the stroke play because our guys are consistently good. Take away the doubles and or triples of the average guys and only make it a +1 and it makes it easier for an average player to beat a good player.

example:

5 - 5
4 <1 5
3 - 2
4 <1 8
4 <1 4
4 - 3
3 - 3
4 - 6
5 >1 4
36 40

4 - 5
3 - 3
4 <1 7
4 - 3
5 - 5
3 <1 4
4 - 3
4 - 4
5 1> 4
36 37

72 77 (Winner in match play)

Last edited:

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Uhh.... that is how it works. Fewest strokes wins the hole.
I think he wants a stroke play 1 v 1 instead of the traditional match play format. You go head to head with someone but best score at the end of each hole wins. Which is stupid and really defeats the purpose of match play.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I think he wants a stroke play 1 v 1 instead of the traditional match play format. You go head to head with someone but best score at the end of each hole wins. Which is stupid and really defeats the purpose of match play.
Again... that's exactly how match play works. If two people are playing a hole, the person that takes the fewest strokes to put the ball in the hole wins that hole.

Or is he talking about just putting two teams on the course and playing a normal full round of golf? Which is essentially the same as match play they just quit when there isn't an opportunity for the opponent to come back.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Again... that's exactly how match play works. If two people are playing a hole, the person that takes the fewest strokes to put the ball in the hole wins that hole.

Or is he talking about just putting two teams on the course and playing a normal full round of golf? Which is essentially the same as match play they just quit when there isn't an opportunity for the opponent to come back.
I got the impression that he doesn't want to score who wins what hole but who has the best score overall after 18 holes. So Player 1 has scores of 3, 4, 4, 5 etc. Player 2 has scores of 4, 4, 4, 3, normally they'd be tied in regular match play. I think his hypothetical format would have player 2 winning. So two guys are matched up together but the one with the fewest strokes overall wins the match. Which I think would typically be the case in normal match play but might not be if someone just bombs a hole.

OSUCowboy787

Territorial Marshal
Dec 31, 2008
Keller, Texas
I got the impression that he doesn't want to score who wins what hole but who has the best score overall after 18 holes. So Player 1 has scores of 3, 4, 4, 5 etc. Player 2 has scores of 4, 4, 4, 3, normally they'd be tied in regular match play. I think his hypothetical format would have player 2 winning. So two guys are matched up together but the one with the fewest strokes overall wins the match. Which I think would typically be the case in normal match play but might not be if someone just bombs a hole.
Soooo stroke play....haha

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Soooo stroke play....haha
Essentially but each match only contributes one point to the team score. Didnt say it was a good idea, just trying to explain what I think he meant.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

More Cowbell

Territorial Marshal
May 2, 2005
Highland Village, TX

You could have an All-American Tournament at the end of every year. The (11) guys that were named to the team could come to Stillwater to battle in a match play tournament for the POY individual honor. Would be better than the 3 POY awards now, which are all subjective voting.

Edit: Thinking on this further, golf is one of the very few sports you could do this, since there are no "positions".