NCAA Men's Golf Championship

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 8, 2009
Plano
Oh wrong, buffalo breath. Also and OSU engineering grad, who has become a fossil, but love data. I think Hammer had 8 birdies in 15 holes vs Wolff. Then Hammer can't duplicate it the next day, losing by the same score that he beat Wolff.
Yes my sense of what he did those two matches was not just significantly different but almost order of magnitiude different just from periodically and causally watching his Stanford match. I am a fossil too, graduated 1970. Made a living in energy off my data worky ways

Aug 16, 2012
It is not simply my opinion that golf is a patient man's game, and you are wrong to insinuate that it is not. Period. You clearly have never played competitive golf at any level, other than in a beer league at shitty muni courses in Collin County. Have fun at Oak Hollow or The Trails next month.
Yes, it is your opinion and it is staggering that you cannot distinguish an opinion from a fact. Saying, "Period", still does not make it a fact.

Your pathetic attempt to insult me further illustrates your own lack of conviction as the first defense of a lost argument is to insult your opponent.

The premise that you are some sort of ringer who has "played at a high level", is questionable, if not laughable, followed up with your insinuation that your game is above muni courses, Collin County, or any golf course in Collin County. I could tell you which courses I play up here but what is the point as I am sure courses that have hosted US Open locals, regionals and sectionals, Golf AM Tour events, collegiate and HS championships are shitty and you would just go all Kim Jong Il on them. Let me guess, you are a member at Maridoe, routinely hit your driver 300+, use a SW for 150 and have a handicap under 5, right?

I am done with this discussion. Reply all you want, but you are not worth another keystroke.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Meh. It is all on Zach. I’m not saying we should harass him on social media or make him a pariah in Stillwater. He was a big part of us winning it last year. But match play turns a team competition into an individual competition. What could any of the other players done to change the outcome? I don’t think anyone in college golf could have beaten Hammer yesterday. So I give Wolff a pass. Wood wasn’t beating anyone left in the tournament at that point, so that’s more on HCAB for not having a better option than Wood. So going in, we knew we needed to win 3 or the other 4. We won 2 of them and Zach was one up and 50 yds ahead of his opponent on 18. That guy made great shots from that point in and Zach mishit every shot, chip, and putt from that point on (good drive on the 19th though). He didn’t even need to make great shots. Just decent ones. And he didn’t. So yeah, this is pretty much all on Zach.
That is a completely ridiculous analogy! Bouchou is a putt away from being the ultimate hero and completing an amazing comeback under extreme pressure, yet you put the entire loss on him and cast no blame on the two guys who were spanked in their matches. That's total BS! Match play is a team game. Two guys won, one guy barely lost in extra holes and two crapped their pants and were owned. But you blame the guy who went extra holes under the most intense pressure of all the players. Stay outa my foxhole if you don't mind!

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Meh. It is all on Zach. I’m not saying we should harass him on social media or make him a pariah in Stillwater. He was a big part of us winning it last year. But match play turns a team competition into an individual competition. What could any of the other players done to change the outcome? I don’t think anyone in college golf could have beaten Hammer yesterday. So I give Wolff a pass. Wood wasn’t beating anyone left in the tournament at that point, so that’s more on HCAB for not having a better option than Wood. So going in, we knew we needed to win 3 or the other 4. We won 2 of them and Zach was one up and 50 yds ahead of his opponent on 18. That guy made great shots from that point in and Zach mishit every shot, chip, and putt from that point on (good drive on the 19th though). He didn’t even need to make great shots. Just decent ones. And he didn’t. So yeah, this is pretty much all on Zach. And I guarantee you he knows it and feels terrible. I feel terrible for him.

I hope he doesn’t read this board, but if he does, we love you Zach for what you did for us last year. The joy that day brought us isn’t going to be wiped out by one terrible 30 minutes.

So go ahead and blast me. Just like those 30 minutes, sometimes the truth sucks.
wow. last I heard, it was a team sport - in college. you're blaming the kid who went extra holes and lost on a unfortunate lip-out, when our 1A/B player, who won the individual the day before, got his pants jerked down in match play........... weak sauce.

it doesn't ride on any 1 player, certainly not ZB.........

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
That is a completely ridiculous analogy! Bouchou is a putt away from being the ultimate hero and completing an amazing comeback under extreme pressure, yet you put the entire loss on him and cast no blame on the two guys who were spanked in their matches. That's total BS! Match play is a team game. Two guys won, one guy barely lost in extra holes and two crapped their pants and were owned. But you blame the guy who went extra holes under the most intense pressure of all the players. Stay outa my foxhole if you don't mind!
I will stay out of your foxhole! I don't think either of us would enjoy the other's company anyway!

But I still stand by everything I wrote. There wasn't a damn thing Wolff or any other college college in the country could have done to stop Hammer that day. Just like nobody could have been expected to keep up with Zach in the finals last year. I suppose some of it is on Wood, but that was pretty much expected. I called it 6 months ago that he was going to be a problem for us come match play time. Zach was in a dream position and never hit another good shot. You can spread the blame around how ever you want and I'll do that same.

Good day Sir!

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
wow. last I heard, it was a team sport - in college. you're blaming the kid who went extra holes and lost on a unfortunate lip-out, when our 1A/B player, who won the individual the day before, got his pants jerked down in match play........... weak sauce.

it doesn't ride on any 1 player, certainly not ZB.........
Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing. I bet you Zach is doing the same thing today.

You've kind of left out some crucial information prior to that putt there didn't you?

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Yep. That's exactly what I'm doing. I bet you Zach is doing the same thing today.

You've kind of left out some crucial information prior to that putt there didn't you?
so? you said it yourself, "it's all on Zach"............. your words not mine

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Meh. It is all on Zach. I’m not saying we should harass him on social media or make him a pariah in Stillwater. He was a big part of us winning it last year. But match play turns a team competition into an individual competition. What could any of the other players done to change the outcome? I don’t think anyone in college golf could have beaten Hammer yesterday. So I give Wolff a pass. Wood wasn’t beating anyone left in the tournament at that point, so that’s more on HCAB for not having a better option than Wood. So going in, we knew we needed to win 3 or the other 4. We won 2 of them and Zach was one up and 50 yds ahead of his opponent on 18. That guy made great shots from that point in and Zach mishit every shot, chip, and putt from that point on (good drive on the 19th though). He didn’t even need to make great shots. Just decent ones. And he didn’t. So yeah, this is pretty much all on Zach. And I guarantee you he knows it and feels terrible. I feel terrible for him.

I hope he doesn’t read this board, but if he does, we love you Zach for what you did for us last year. The joy that day brought us isn’t going to be wiped out by one terrible 30 minutes.

So go ahead and blast me. Just like those 30 minutes, sometimes the truth sucks.
I completely disagree. Bachou hit a great tee shot on 18 and solid iron into 18 green. He was actually slighly closer to the hole than his opponent. The Texas kid just hit the shot and putt of his life is all. on extra holes they both had similar putts-- Bachou's lipped out- his lag killed him but it was dark. Neither player putted well that last hole. They probably wouldn't have played another hole. It was too dark. TV can do stuff with iris. It was marginal to play on that last green to say the least.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
don't be dense. i disagreed and stated why.........
Sorry man. I'm not intentionally being dense. I guess I was just born that way. I'm just not understanding what you are implying. Let's face it. Even if I was following it, I think it's safe to say we disagree on whatever it is.

Cro

A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
Sorry man. I'm not intentionally being dense. I guess I was just born that way. I'm just not understanding what you are implying. Let's face it. Even if I was following it, I think it's safe to say we disagree on whatever it is.
https://media.giphy.com/media/ADr35Z4TvATIc/giphy.gif

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
And Duke was the overwhelming favorite to win the NCAA basketball championship this year. Sometimes the best team doesn’t always win.

Wolff ran into a buzzsaw, just like Bauchou was a buzzsaw last year in match play. I do agree that maybe Britton should have sacrificed Wood against Hammer, but how do you predict he’s going to go on such an amazing run? You just can’t.

I enjoy match play and think it’s pretty exciting. However, I do not think this was all on Zach. He should have closed it out, but 2 other OSU golfers also lost their matches.
they didn't end the basketball tournament with an extra quarter of FTs to determine a winner, either.

Favorite or not favorite is not the issue, may the best team win.

If they want to use match play, then the entire golf season should be played in that manner, every match, every tournament. You simply DO NOT change the format for the most important event of the entire season.

Why bother with stroke play at all if match play is so great? Just go to match play all season.

Right?

Aug 16, 2012
they didn't end the basketball tournament with an extra quarter of FTs to determine a winner, either.

Favorite or not favorite is not the issue, may the best team win.

If they want to use match play, then the entire golf season should be played in that manner, every match, every tournament. You simply DO NOT change the format for the most important event of the entire season.

Why bother with stroke play at all if match play is so great? Just go to match play all season.

Right?
Agree with the premise of match play being the standard format for all tournaments since it is a team event and how the national championship is determined, but they will never do it because medalist honors are deemed an important aspect of each tournament and also since it would limit the number of teams that could be invited to a particular tournament (a 16-team bracket would take four rounds to complete instead of the standard three), and no school is going to justify the expense of sending their squad to a tournament where there is the possibility they are eliminated and sent home after a single match. Could play 2-3 rounds of stroke play to determine the medalist and a 2- or 4-team match championship, similar to the national championship, but even that could go longer and be unappealing to many teams/hosts. Nutshell, I doubt match play is picked up at other tournaments with any significance.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
Agree with the premise of match play being the standard format for all tournaments since it is a team event and how the national championship is determined, but they will never do it because medalist honors are deemed an important aspect of each tournament and also since it would limit the number of teams that could be invited to a particular tournament (a 16-team bracket would take four rounds to complete instead of the standard three), and no school is going to justify the expense of sending their squad to a tournament where there is the possibility they are eliminated and sent home after a single match. Could play 2-3 rounds of stroke play to determine the medalist and a 2- or 4-team match championship, similar to the national championship, but even that could go longer and be unappealing to many teams/hosts. Nutshell, I doubt match play is picked up at other tournaments with any significance.
I doubt it too.. but it's damned silly to just throw it out there for only one event - the most important event.

They kids don't even had a chance to practice at it, and learn how to adapt to it.

Make it double elimination like baseball, with regional sites and super regional match team playoffs... it could be done easily.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I doubt it too.. but it's damned silly to just throw it out there for only one event - the most important event.

They kids don't even had a chance to practice at it, and learn how to adapt to it.

Make it double elimination like baseball, with regional sites and super regional match team playoffs... it could be done easily.
Not a fan of the format, but they do play some match play events during the season.

Aug 16, 2012

Time. Over a 3-day event, a team could play six matches in a double-elimination bracket. Look at how many matches a wrestler has when he loses and has to come up through the loser's bracket.

I think there needs to be a couple early rounds for seeding and medalist purposes with a limited number of match play at the end, even if just one match, for the experience. That would also eliminate the "they just got hot" aspect since the top teams would be repped, not half the field.