NCAA Men's Golf Championship

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Here's Kelly Hines' preview of the NCAA championship...

For the top-ranked Oklahoma State men’s golf team, not much has changed.

“For the most part, we’ve been the No. 1 team all year, really the No. 1 team all of last year, and then we won stroke play and ended up winning the national championship last year,” sophomore Matthew Wolff said in a teleconference Thursday after a practice round. “I think we’ve always had a target on our back, and we know that feeling and we’re comfortable with it, so I think that there’s nothing else that’s really changed or feels that much different.”

The Cowboys embark on their pursuit of the program’s first back-to-back national titles when the NCAA Championships get underway Friday at Blessings Golf Club in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Last year, OSU captured the championship in front of a large contingent of fans at its home course, and this year’s attempt will be only three hours from Stillwater.

“The goal is the same, to try to win the national championship,” junior Viktor Hovland said. “But obviously we’re not going to have the same visual support as we had last year. But there’s a lot of similarities, as well.

“We had a really good season leading up to the national championship, a lot of extra patience to do well at nationals, which we did, and I think that’s helped us for this year, kind of under similar circumstances, somewhat being the same.”

Aug 16, 2012
I stand corrected on the above-discussed issue of counting the golfer's scores. Per GolfStat, the posted scores do reflect only the top 4 from each school with the lowest being dropped.

Dec 14, 2009
Austin, Texas
You have to be careful on how you view these scores early... the top teams on the board now are on the front 9...all teams on the back 9 like us mostly over par...back 9 harder if I remember from women's tournament

Nov 8, 2013
You have to be careful on how you view these scores early... the top teams on the board now are on the front 9...all teams on the back 9 like us mostly over par...back 9 harder if I remember from women's tournament
Thanks for that context. I hadn't noticed that. Interesting also that at the time of this post all teams that have finished all 18 are behind all teams who are still on the course. Playing tough today it seems.

Dec 14, 2009
Austin, Texas
This ain't gonna per a birdie fest :p
From Wikipedia:
Blessings Golf Club is a private, 18-hole golf course located along Clear Creek in Fayetteville, Arkansas. Its creation was funded by Tyson Foods Chairman John H. Tyson. Blessings was designed by Robert Trent Jones, Jr.. and opened in June 2004. From the back tees, its rating is 79.1 and its slope is 153, making it one of the toughest golf courses in the U.S.[citation needed] Its routing is a true "out-in" design, in that the 9th hole does not end at the clubhouse. Blessings features two par-5 holes on the "out" nine and two par-3 holes on the "in" nine, for a par of 37-35=72. Its topography is characterized by hilly terrain creating numerous sidehill lies, dramatic elevation changes, forced carries over ravines and valleys, and large, undulating greens, with Clear Creek in play on several holes.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
we're climbing up the leader board just by staying at +3. Wood is +7. I've been worried about how he would do this week all season. My fears are being proven true. He's going to kill us in match play if we get there.