NCAA grants year of eligibility back to spring sports athletes

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
The announcement stated "ALL" spring athletes.

The statement read

“Council leadership agreed that eligibility relief is appropriate for all Division I student-athletes who participated in spring sports,” the NCAA released in a statement. “Details of eligibility relief will be finalized at a later time. Additional issues with the NCAA rules must be addressed, and appropriate governance bodies will work through those in the coming days and weeks.”
Ok, thanks. Not sure what I read on the Twitter, then.

Aug 16, 2012
Kendall Rogers posted on twitter today that there are rumors that the idea of eligibility relief only being for current seniors is gaining momentum. Who knows.
I am not a litigious person, but if I were an underclassman and lost the better part of a year while relief was granted to seniors, I would be filing suit

ScooberJake

Territorial Marshal
Jul 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Has there been any mention of a temporary increase in scholarship limits? If not, I don't see how this works. Does Boynton have to choose between having Cam and Lindy for one more year vs Cade and Rondell?

Aug 16, 2012
Has there been any mention of a temporary increase in scholarship limits? If not, I don't see how this works. Does Boynton have to choose between having Cam and Lindy for one more year vs Cade and Rondell?
What I posted above is the extent of the NCAA's statement. Details are being worked out and I have not heard anything else since the initial statement.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
Supposing they do increase scholarship limits, has anyone thought about what that will do to athletic department budgets when they are likely already going to face lower revenues. Not every school has deep pockets.

Aug 16, 2012
Supposing they do increase scholarship limits, has anyone thought about what that will do to athletic department budgets when they are likely already going to face lower revenues. Not every school has deep pockets.
Got to remember these are just the spring sports.
For us, that includes

Baseball (11.7)
Softball (12 men)
Golf (4.5 men, 6 women)
Tennis (4.5 men, 8 women)
Track and Field (12.6 men, 18 women)

By my count, that is 77 scholarships of which approximately one-quarter would be about 20 total. I think we will be OK adding 20 scholarships for a year but you are right, it might impact other schools.

For reference, these are the other spring sports

Lacrosse (12.6 men, 12 women)
Rowing (20 women)
Volleyball (4.5 men, 12 women)
Water polo (4.5 men, 8 women)

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Right now this doesn't include basketball.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Interested to see how this affects softball. With Eberle being a grad transfer senior, would she even want to come back? We also have a freshman pitcher that thew a no hitter a few weeks ago. How is she going to feel going into her sophomore year, when she expected to be our ace, but has to sit the bench another year?

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
It’s been reported both Eberle and Febrey are coming back next season. As far as Maxwell, she’s not sitting on the bench. She pitched a lot and will be the #2 just like she was this year.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
It’s been reported both Eberle and Febrey are coming back next season. As far as Maxwell, she’s not sitting on the bench. She pitched a lot and will be the #2 just like she was this year.
I might be wrong but I think Logan Simunek is coming back as well. Top 3 pitchers with Gabby Springs and RFr Mattie Boyd on the pitching staff.....I love what next yr brings with a full yr under our pitching coach

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
I might be wrong but I think Logan Simunek is coming back as well. Top 3 pitchers with Gabby Springs and RFr Mattie Boyd on the pitching staff.....I love what next yr brings with a full yr under our pitching coach
I expect her to come back, but you never know...she might be ready to move on. Gabby wasn’t going to pitch this year anyway due to injury so I’m assuming she’ll get a medical redshirt along with Taylor Tuck. Mattie just wasn’t ready at first, but she was turning the corner and was going make her official debut in the cowgirl classic before the pandemic. Talent is isn’t the issue. She’s the hardest thrower on the team, and has a chance to be a star along with Maxwell..but repeating her mechanics was the issue. One thing that’s certain is this team is has arms in the circle to make a run to a championship.

Jul 31, 2012
Near Ardmore, Okla
I expect her to come back, but you never know...she might be ready to move on. Gabby wasn’t going to pitch this year anyway due to injury so I’m assuming she’ll get a medical redshirt along with Taylor Tuck. Mattie just wasn’t ready at first, but she was turning the corner and was going make her official debut in the cowgirl classic before the pandemic. Talent is isn’t the issue. She’s the hardest thrower on the team, and has a chance to be a star along with Maxwell..but repeating her mechanics was the issue. One thing that’s certain is this team is has arms in the circle to make a run to a championship.
Didn’t know Mattie Boyd was going to make her debut. When I was at the OSU/Tulsa invitational, i talked to few of the parents and what I understood is that she was redshirting.

I am disappointed that the season ended due to this pandemic. This season was very encouraging for our softball squad to win the Big 12. Yes I liked our chances. Texas is better than last yr but I’m not buying stocks in them. With OU, their hitting is way down. They are forcing girls to completely change their hitting techniques that effecting those certain hitters production and confidence. On top of that, their AA pitcher was going to miss the yr due to arm injury.

I love this past season schedule. I hope Coach G, takes it a step further. If I remember right, when the season was called, OSU RPI was 8th in the nation. Only Texas in the Big 12 was higher(3rd). OU setting at 14.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Didn’t know Mattie Boyd was going to make her debut. When I was at the OSU/Tulsa invitational, i talked to few of the parents and what I understood is that she was redshirting.

I am disappointed that the season ended due to this pandemic. This season was very encouraging for our softball squad to win the Big 12. Yes I liked our chances. Texas is better than last yr but I’m not buying stocks in them. With OU, their hitting is way down. They are forcing girls to completely change their hitting techniques that effecting those certain hitters production and confidence. On top of that, their AA pitcher was going to miss the yr due to arm injury.

I love this past season schedule. I hope Coach G, takes it a step further. If I remember right, when the season was called, OSU RPI was 8th in the nation. Only Texas in the Big 12 was higher(3rd). OU setting at 14.
redshirting was the plan for her...but she was turning the corner to the point where Coach was seriously thinking about burning it and pitching her that weekend.

We had a serious chance of winning the league. Texas is legit and would have been a challenge, but beatable. They can rake 1-9, and them beating UCLA and Washington wasn’t a fluke.

In terms of OU, they lost their core and were playing freshman. They were also dealing with a lot of injuries, which is why their hitting is down. Mendes was coming off a torn ACL in the fall, Rylee Boone (Trevor Boone’s sister) injured her knee in the 1st week of the season and was out indefinitely. Taylor Snow (auburn transfer) was injured as well. Their pitching staff is filled with freshman that were struggling expect Shannon shaile and giselle Juarez. Shaile is good, but she’s very hittable despite her throwing gas. We did a number on her when she was a freshman at FIU in the Florida regional several years ago.

i really thought we could make a serious run in okc. Just have to wait another year.

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
Got to remember these are just the spring sports.
For us, that includes

Baseball (11.7)
Softball (12 men)
Golf (4.5 men, 6 women)
Tennis (4.5 men, 8 women)
Track and Field (12.6 men, 18 women)

By my count, that is 77 scholarships of which approximately one-quarter would be about 20 total. I think we will be OK adding 20 scholarships for a year but you are right, it might impact other schools.

For reference, these are the other spring sports

Lacrosse (12.6 men, 12 women)
Rowing (20 women)
Volleyball (4.5 men, 12 women)
Water polo (4.5 men, 8 women)
Bumping this thread back up, at this point in time there's really no guarantee of a college football season this fall. At least, apparently that's what is being said by some people. That would certainly change the financial equation of extending scholarships. Hope we don't see that but making any decision right now is a shot in the dark.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
Wow. So budget remains the same (?). Up to schools to give the crushing blow to seniors and freshman commits @ scholarly amount award.

"Schools will be able to offer less (or zero) aid or match what they provided this year. Up to each school for each athlete."

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://www.yahoo.com/sports/ncaa-not-extend-extra-eligibility-114803971.html

No extra year for BB players.

"The NCAA announced it would not extend an extra year of eligibility to winter sports participants, which includes men’s and women’s basketball as well as ice hockey for both sexes. Athletes in spring sports, who lost their entire season (such as baseball and softball), will get that added year of eligibility. The Division I Council “members declined to extend eligibility for student-athletes in sports where all or much of their regular seasons were completed,” the NCAA said in a statement."