NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Lol how many of my actual friends? Why would I keep a chart of my friends losing jobs or losing pay because of events being canceled so they lose at least a month of pay. It's happening and I'm seeing it everyday with someone new.
OH...I thought you meant because of the Virus...What you actually mean is because of the OVERREACTION to it. We are mostly ALL losing because of that.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
I'm going to be really curious to see eligibility of some of these sports for players

And, this has already been discussed on twitter, what the heck are baseball coaches supposed to do with their scholarship allocations for next year if everyone gets a redshirt year now? It's a total mess. The only right thing to do is do what should have been done a long time ago. Go ahead and start giving every college baseball program at least 20 full scholarships to work with. That would go a long way toward helping coaches going into next season.

Dec 17, 2011
And, this has already been discussed on twitter, what the heck are baseball coaches supposed to do with their scholarship allocations for next year if everyone gets a redshirt year now? It's a total mess. The only right thing to do is do what should have been done a long time ago. Go ahead and start giving every college baseball program at least 20 full scholarships to work with. That would go a long way toward helping coaches going into next season.
I hope the ncaa does something temporary at least for the seniors to have a spot and an extra scholarship for them

Sep 20, 2009
Kansas City
The issue isn't really "who" will die, although that is important. The virus is twice as contagious as the flu and more deadly, but nowhere as deadly as Ebola or rabies.

The real fear is if too many people get infected at once, they will overwhelm the hospitals and medical system, and then people who have life threatening issues will have trouble getting seen. The fear of a mass outbreak isn't just the number of deaths, it is the very real danger that it overwhelms our hospitals to a point that they can't function effectively.

If the transmission can be slowed, patients can be treated in due course just as if it were a bad flu season. In other words, it would be manageable.
Ding ding ding

Aug 7, 2006
so how many? The numbers being reported aren't big yet in California and I assume that is what you are talking about by the "entertainment industry."
I work in broadcasting, mostly sports... lots of freelancers in this industry and it's hitting pretty hard right now. That's just a small slice of the economy getting hit.

Aug 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/NCAA/status/1238197201928667136?s=19
Every participant in a spring sport should get another year of eligibility if they want it. No questions asked, no hit to scholarship limits. Imagine a guy with legitimate aspirations of being a pro baseball player. Not having a final season could cost him millions.

Edit.....damnit, again, wrote a post that is now redundant because I did not read all of the posts after the quoted one.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The issue isn't really "who" will die, although that is important. The virus is twice as contagious as the flu and more deadly, but nowhere as deadly as Ebola or rabies.

The real fear is if too many people get infected at once, they will overwhelm the hospitals and medical system, and then people who have life threatening issues will have trouble getting seen. The fear of a mass outbreak isn't just the number of deaths, it is the very real danger that it overwhelms our hospitals to a point that they can't function effectively.

If the transmission can be slowed, patients can be treated in due course just as if it were a bad flu season. In other words, it would be manageable.
There is another concern. We already know this is a mutated strain. The problem with the flu and colds, the reason why people don't build up immunity like measles, is because they mutate. We do not know how rapidly this more deadly strain is going to mutate.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
In your estimation, what would overreaction be at this point?
The media ONLY focusing on this one thing and being very negative in it's narrative. That's the overreaction...one can talk about this being dangerous, but positive stories need to be written about the lights at the end of the tunnel...Right now the media is full blown FEAR MONGERING. It is what it is, but we don't have to subsume to fear. THAT is the overreaction...AND that fear is driving the ship.

Mar 27, 2008
https://twitter.com/GottliebShow/status/1238201272693452801?s=19

https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1238204891870486528?s=19
I'm just trying to imagine it. I don't see it happening because it would also effect underclassmen. Imagine being a junior and knowing your time is next year, only for them to give the senior in your spot another year. They would have to give underclassmen another year too. Seems like it would just be a big mess.

If they did allow another year for seniors I'm guessing that would be great for us since Coach Boynton is the one calling for it. McGriff has been playing great lately.

Last edited:

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
The media ONLY focusing on this one thing and being very negative in it's narrative. That's the overreaction...one can talk about this being dangerous, but positive stories need to be written about the lights at the end of the tunnel...Right now the media is full blown FEAR MONGERING. It is what it is, but we don't have to subsume to fear. THAT is the overreaction...AND that fear is driving the ship.
You think the media is causing, oh say, the head of Ohio Public Health and the Governor of Ohio to urge cancellation of all meetings with 250 people or more? You think media fear mongering is causing NBA, NHL, MLB, NCAA cancellations and postponements?