NCAA cancels remaining winter and spring championships

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
Yes, he/she is serious. Amazingly the number of cases in China is now falling and there is still not any significant % of the overall population who has contracted the illness. This is media driven panic mode and is way over the top.
Not anymore, China now is back to having cases rise again. Not coincidentally they also went back to work this week after a long isolation period.

CowboyOrangeFan

Mmmm, yeah.
A/V Subscriber
Jun 9, 2006
Florida
Yes, he/she is serious. Amazingly the number of cases in China is now falling and there is still not any significant % of the overall population who has contracted the illness. This is media driven panic mode and is way over the top.
So how many cases and how many deaths here in the US will make you feel like this isn't "media driven panic"?

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Well, Id probably put number of cases at .1% of the population. So roughly 330,000. At a 4% mortality rate, roughly 13,000 deaths. So, we have a long way to go before that. And my guess is we will probably peak at about 7 to 10 thousand cases before the weather patterns warm up and put it in hibernation. We will likely see another outbreak in the late fall and into winter and by then they will have treatment plans and possibly vaccines.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Whatever man/ma'am. Believe what you want, but glad you'll be forced to stay the hell away from me, even though that means you'll miss watching your precious sports in person....

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
So how many cases and how many deaths here in the US will make you feel like this isn't "media driven panic"?
Consistently declining numbers over the next few weeks. My wife is pregnant, so I don't need to be told that his is just an alarmist overreaction by several uninformed idiots on this board. And when did the CDC and WHO become part of the media again?

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Well, Id probably put number of cases at .1% of the population. So roughly 330,000. At a 4% mortality rate, roughly 13,000 deaths. So, we have a long way to go before that. And my guess is we will probably peak at about 7 to 10 thousand cases before the weather patterns warm up and put it in hibernation. We will likely see another outbreak in the late fall and into winter and by then they will have treatment plans and possibly vaccines.
We DON'T know for sure that warmer weather will end the spread. Southern California is warm year round and its still spreading there.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
Also, I have direct knowledge of a 38 year old man, with no underlying health issues, who is currently on life support. Try again.

Dec 17, 2011
We DON'T know for sure that warmer weather will end the spread. Southern California is warm year round and its still spreading there.
Yeah when people said warm weather would help along with sun, (other than this week), its been 70-80 and sunny each day and yet...still getting a lot of cases.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Viruses peak in Winter/Spring and then the warmer more humid months stop the spread because they cant travel through the heavier more humid air. Basic virus behaviors.

And while Southern Cali has cases, who knows if they are from people travelling or whether its transmitting person to person within the communities. Pretty bad argument there.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Yeah when people said warm weather would help along with sun, (other than this week), its been 70-80 and sunny each day and yet...still getting a lot of cases.
I have seen the reporting on number of cases in the state of California and everything Ive seen states that the majority of known cases are in people known to have travelled internationally.

As of Tuesday...157 cases out of 40 million population. % infected doesnt even register. But omg...the world is ending

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
There is a difference between precaution and panic...at what point do we cross that line. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to drown in your bathtub than die due to this virus. Make sure you get some water wings before the stores sell out of them.

But I'm not going to stress too much. If cancelling all these events and scaring people into not leaving their houses helps contain this thing quicker and get it off the front page then let's get on with it.

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Some worldwide stats...

China has .00586% of their population allegedly confirmed to have had CV19.
The world has .00166% of the total population allegedly confirmed.

Take out China and the rest of the world is at .00075%...

I'm terrified.

Aug 22, 2006
SE Oklahoma
Consistently declining numbers over the next few weeks. My wife is pregnant, so I don't need to be told that his is just an alarmist overreaction by several uninformed idiots on this board. And when did the CDC and WHO become part of the media again?
By all means you are free to decide when and where you and your pregnant wife go and the level of exposure you are willing to accept. I however am torn by the reaction to a virus with a total known inoculation of less than 2000 people in the USA is shutting down everything. To error on the side of caution will definitely make the spread much less and there will be a lot of people saying I told you so. But I'm also a huge proponent of personal choice and responsibility and I enjoy my freedom and anything that takes that away, i.e. closing sporting events makes me very cautious of my acceptance of all the information.

osupsycho

MAXIMUM EFFORT!!!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 20, 2005
Valhalla
There is a difference between precaution and panic...at what point do we cross that line. Statistically speaking, you are more likely to drown in your bathtub than die due to this virus. Make sure you get some water wings before the stores sell out of them.

But I'm not going to stress too much. If cancelling all these events and scaring people into not leaving their houses helps contain this thing quicker and get it off the front page then let's get on with it.
Its not so much about containment it is about spreading the affects out over a long enough time period that is does not overwhelm the healthcare system. Think of having 100 infected each week over a year, versus having 52,000 infected in one week. Same number of infected but the first scenario the hospitals can handle, second one no way and more will die in that scenario (even from completely non covid 19 things that normally can be handled).

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Its not so much about containment it is about spreading the affects out over a long enough time period that is does not overwhelm the healthcare system. Think of having 100 infected each week over a year, versus having 52,000 infected in one week. Same number of infected but the first scenario the hospitals can handle, second one no way and more will die in that scenario (even from completely non covid 19 things that normally can be handled).
I don't disagree. However making people think they are at deaths door because they sneeze a few times isn't going to make hospitals and clinics less crowded. Create a panic over this and all of a sudden people with simple allergies are using up resources that need to focus on real cases. There needs to be a middle ground and I'm just wondering if we've passed it or how close we are if not

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
I work in a large health system and we have triage plans in place and all kinds of preparedness action plans. The location I work in is going to serve as one of the states treatment hubs. Even if thousands became infected, doesnt mean they would all be needing hospital based care. However, we would stop all elective, nonurgent/emergent clinic visits, surgeries, diagnostic testing, etc to handle things and while it would be an all hands on deck scenario, it would not overwelm the system.