NCAA Athletics Post-COVID

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
you are correct; we shouldn't make adjustments based on new information and technologies. Things should stay how they always are and we shouldn't adjust or evolve our way of thinking.
Yep we ought too, realizing this thing is about to go down...we should stomp it out and get on with our lives...Adjustment done.

Jan 1, 2011
Houston
I can't see university's abandoning campus classes/life. it is an experience in growing up by leaving the nest and empowering yourself to make decisions. Having gone through telemed conferences with doctors during this period, i can say they truly suck. I have never tried online internet classes, so i can't say with any authority whether they work or not. Being an Architect, i can't see how you have classes on the computer and it be of value. Probably a lot of other majors might be the same way. Do we withdraw from campuses and relinquish them to nature?

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Didn't read the entire article but it was talking about cutting sports as a consequence of the economic downturn. To me, cutting sports leads to massive losses of salaries and greatly reduced spending by many who can afford to spend. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rightly or wrongly the government is spending trillions of dollars to try and keep the economy whole. If huge segments (i.e. college sports) refuse to participate it will likely be for naught. Fortune favors the bold. You gotta spend money to make money. Scared money something something. Trump wears my ass out, but this pussification of our supposed leaders is much more damaging, IMO. Play the effing games, open the effing spigots. I'm over 60 but I'll take my chances on the. 01, .05 or 1% death rate of the Covid. I've been trying to avoid going full @Donnyboy but I think at this point he is more right than wrong. Let's get it on.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Didn't read the entire article but it was talking about cutting sports as a consequence of the economic downturn. To me, cutting sports leads to massive losses of salaries and greatly reduced spending by many who can afford to spend. It's a self-fulfilling prophecy. Rightly or wrongly the government is spending trillions of dollars to try and keep the economy whole. If huge segments (i.e. college sports) refuse to participate it will likely be for naught. Fortune favors the bold. You gotta spend money to make money. Scared money something something. Trump wears my ass out, but this pussification of our supposed leaders is much more damaging, IMO. Play the effing games, open the effing spigots. I'm over 60 but I'll take my chances on the. 01, .05 or 1% death rate of the Covid. I've been trying to avoid going full @Donnyboy but I think at this point he is more right than wrong. Let's get it on.
I think more programs will be cut, but the ones that remain may see their travel change dramatically. The amount of $$ spent to fly some of the minor sports teams around all over the country, to play in front of 200 people, is ridiculous. I spent 2 years working with a D1 women's BB team & we flew all over the country, stayed in Hiltons, & played in front of less than 100 people ALOT. It was absurd.

I get that you want kids to have neat experiences and stuff, but good lord, the economic model is basically this: you have a restaurant chain & all but 2 of your locations do nothing but lose money, but you keep those locations open with the money from the 2 that are profitable.

Last edited:

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
I think more programs will be cut, but the ones that remain may see their travel change dramatically. The amount of $$ spent to fly some of the minor sports teams around all over the country, to play in front of 200 people, is ridiculous. I spent 2 years working with a D1 women's BB team & we flew all over the country, stayed in Hiltons, & played in front of less than 100 people ALOT. It was absurd.

I get that you want kids to have neat experiences and stuff, but good lord, the economic model is basically this: you have a restaurant chain & all but 2 of your locations do nothing but lose money, but you keep those locations open with the money from the 2 that are profitable.
Accurate description but there is a wrinkle that needs added.....2 of the stores in town M make money occasionally a third.....only once in a great while does even a single store in town W make money but the law says you must have equal stores in each town.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
OU president announces students in the fall on campus, University of Washington and Missouri do same. Now if Oklahoma State can the SS errr Mayor to fall in line I’m sure our announcement is coming forthwith.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2011
Houston
OU president announces students in the fall on campus, University of Washington and Missouri do same. Now if Oklahoma State can the SS errr Mayor to fall in line I’m sure our announcement is coming forthwith.
You lost me on " the SS errr Mayor" reference. Are we talking about the Stillwater Mayor?

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
You lost me on " the SS errr Mayor" reference. Are we talking about the Stillwater Mayor?
Yep evidently he's a Gestapo wanna be according to some posters with the lock down in Stillwater...surely Burns runs that town not the Mayor...No? I just heard we wimped out on saying we are having fall classes when OU stepped up...that's embarrasing.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
I can't see university's abandoning campus classes/life. it is an experience in growing up by leaving the nest and empowering yourself to make decisions. Having gone through telemed conferences with doctors during this period, i can say they truly suck. I have never tried online internet classes, so i can't say with any authority whether they work or not. Being an Architect, i can't see how you have classes on the computer and it be of value. Probably a lot of other majors might be the same way. Do we withdraw from campuses and relinquish them to nature?
For the most part, the students and the faculty that I have heard from don't like distance learning and are ready to get back to in person classes.