Music Discussion

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
How about what music are you listening to these days? I need something new in my collection, anybody have something they've heard recently that might fit that bill?

My latest group that really grabbed my attention was about 2 years ago with the Turnpike Troubadours. I like good musicians, songwriting, etc...........music based on inspiration more than popularity. I have about 4,000 songs on my iPod and I need something new!

Help me people, share what you like that might fit my bill or even anything that won't but you are into these days.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
How about what music are you listening to these days? I need something new in my collection, anybody have something they've heard recently that might fit that bill?

My latest group that really grabbed my attention was about 2 years ago with the Turnpike Troubadours. I like good musicians, songwriting, etc...........music based on inspiration more than popularity. I have about 4,000 songs on my iPod and I need something new!

Help me people, share what you like that might fit my bill or even anything that won't but you are into these days.
Paul Thorn.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
I like me some Paul Thorn...............here's a few of my most listen to group - Hayes Carll, REK, Junior Brown, Stoney LaRue, CCR, JJ Cale (RIP), Old Crow, Band of Heathens, Chris Knight/LaDoux, Guy Clark, Keb Mo, Mumford & Sons, Reckless Kelly, Renegade Rail, Steve Earle, Tab Benoit, Zac Brown, ZZ Top.................

Also like a bunch of Allman Bros, Tony Joe White, Tedeshchi Trucks Band, Mark Knopfler, Skynard, LLovett, Los Lobos, Zeppelin, Johnny Cash, John Prine, John Hiatt, Foggerty/CCR, JJ Grey & Mofro, Buffett, Jerrry Jeff, Jamey Johnson, Eric Lindell/Clapton, Delbert McClinton, Greatful Dead, David Allan Coe, Springsteen, Seger, Bob Marley, Bad Company and Aerosmith.

I got a broad range of likes people, give me something that makes a nice fit to the above, I'm craving something new and don't go hear as much live music anymore because of kids and life!

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Albert Cummings (blues)
Chris Isaak (California Country with a twist of blues, rock-n-roll, etc.)
Chris Thomas King (acoustic blues) - if you like Keb 'Mo
Walter Trout/Free Radicals - great blues
Grace Potter :love:
The Guess Who - classic rock
Hank Shizzoe - blues/country/rock mix,
James McMurtry - country/americana
Joe Bonamassa!!!!!!!! - the new Eric Clapton
John Hiatt
Jonny Lang - blues
Jono Manson
Kenny Wayne Shepherd
Lonnie Brooks - heavy electric blues
Malford Milligan/Storyville
Mike Henderson - blues with rock & country influences
Mike Zito - Texas blues
Nathan Cavaleri - Australian blues artist
Owen Campbell - Great Australian blues
Rory Gallagher - deceased Irish blues artist
Rusty Weir - non-traditional country with great lyrics
Ry Cooder - blues and other alternative genres, very gifted
Sonny Boy Williamson - deceased, one of original black blues artists
Ted Hawkins - black street musician from SoCal; country/folk/americana
Warren Haynes - awesome!, plays with Allman Bros. & Derek Trucks
Wylie & The Wild West - western ballads, yodeling (Mr. Yahoo)

Redhawk

Rollin' bones at the Texaco
A/V Subscriber
Dec 5, 2011
Eufaula
My Pandora rotates between Allman Brothers, The Band, My Morning Jacket, Waylon Jennings, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Grateful Dead, and Pearl Jam.

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Rounding third and heading for Omaha
OP, Troubadours are awesome. I personally like their older albums a little more than the newest one. A few others in that Red Dirt/Texas/Alt Country genre - Stragglers, of course. Ryan Bingham, James McMurtry and Son Volt (and their progenitor, Uncle Tupelo). You mentioned REK and Steve Earle. Gram Parsons/Byrds/Flying Burrito Brothers is a must and I like the Sir Douglas Quintet/Texas Tornados/Doug Sahm stuff too. Calexico is pretty cool as well.

I just downloaded the new Old Crow Medicine Show and Pert Near Sandstone albums and am looking forward to Trampled By Turtles' new one next week. Those are more in the bluegrass genre.

Wrinkle Neck Mules is another in the alt-country/america style. They're a little more under the radar, but they are really good, IMO.

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso
Lately, been listening to lots of Queens of the Stone Age (stoner rock), Mastodon (metal) and Freddie Gibbs (rap).
FIFY

I like QOTSA too lol.

Lately been listening to a lot of Eisley (indie), The Decemberists (indie folky), Old Crow Medicine Show, and just shuffling through my classic rock and 80's hair metal.

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
Ray Wylie Hubbard, Robert Earl Keen, Roger Creager, The Band, Levon Helm, Thin Lizzy.
I love Ray Wylie Hubbard music but mostly if his tunes are played by someone else, almost anybody else. If I were a songwriter of his stature, I would sound like RWH :).

Levon Helm AND The Band would be on my Top 5 list of music I'd have to have on my iPod if I could only have 5 artists, mainly because I'd argue I get a 2 fer 1!

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS
OP, Troubadours are awesome. I personally like their older albums a little more than the newest one. A few others in that Red Dirt/Texas/Alt Country genre - Stragglers, of course. Ryan Bingham, James McMurtry and Son Volt (and their progenitor, Uncle Tupelo). You mentioned REK and Steve Earle. Gram Parsons/Byrds/Flying Burrito Brothers is a must and I like the Sir Douglas Quintet/Texas Tornados/Doug Sahm stuff too. Calexico is pretty cool as well.

I just downloaded the new Old Crow Medicine Show and Pert Near Sandstone albums and am looking forward to Trampled By Turtles' new one next week. Those are more in the bluegrass genre.

Wrinkle Neck Mules is another in the alt-country/america style. They're a little more under the radar, but they are really good, IMO.
I'm LMAO at this............an aquaintance told me about this bad 6 months ago, I forgot about it for a while and the other day a I did a search to find what I thought was..................are you ready.........................................Shriveled Neck Trout!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
I'm LMAO at this............an aquaintance told me about this bad 6 months ago, I forgot about it for a while and the other day a I did a search to find what I thought was..................are you ready.........................................Shriveled Neck Trout!
That would be a pretty cool band name also. Named, of course, for what happens to the LA Angels' slugger, Mike Trout, after he spends too long in the pool.

In all seriousness, I've lived a pretty sheltered life so when I've shared the WNM band name with others I've always hoped it wasn't a euphemism for something :)

BoutDemPokes

Deputy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
Madison, MS

Pert Near Sandstone is right up my "alternative" alley, thanks!

Takeout Slide

Hardcore Troubadour
Nov 10, 2009
Pert Near Sandstone is right up my "alternative" alley, thanks!
Sweet.

There's a pretty cool group of those sorts of bands from Minnesota that I've learned about since living up in this area. Trampled By Turtles (who I mentioned earlier), Charlie Parr, and Hobo Nephews of Uncle Frank are a couple others you might enjoy in that bluegrass/alt-country/americana genre.