Murray Hall

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
Good idea...very good idea!
Texas has a statue of a confederate solider on campus that had to stay on campus, I don’t remember the details. 4-5 years ago they moved it to a museum with the history of the statue. It worked then, it should work now.

May 4, 2011
Charleston, SC
The is a part of me that would like to forget and blot out the sins of our past. But there in another part of me that says remember and learn from those deeds so that we never commit them again.
As the extreme example, it's the difference between not demolishing Auschwitz and banning Hitler statues. How are you approaching that history and who/what are you saying should be honored with building names, statues, etc.?

snuffy

Free Harambe!
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Feb 28, 2007
Oklahoma
As the extreme example, it's the difference between not demolishing Auschwitz and banning Hitler statues. How are you approaching that history and who/what are you saying should be honored with building names, statues, etc.?
I don’t think that is extreme, that is the best example of how to deal with a difficult topic.

UrbanCowboy1

Some cowboys gots smarts real good like me.
Aug 8, 2006
Phoenix, AZ
The is a part of me that would like to forget and blot out the sins of our past. But there in another part of me that says remember and learn from those deeds so that we never commit them again.
I feel ya. I try to keep it in mind that there's a difference between remembering the past and glorifying it. Statues and buildings fall into the latter for me, books and museums the former. Warning that I'm about to invoke Godwin's Law, but we don't need Hitler Avenue. The Stalin train station. We'll remember the bad guys of history just fine without the need build things in their memory.

Jul 10, 2009
Stillwater, OK
In response to that--if it was about the Hitler tree--if remember correctly, the Sigma Chi's had a member that qualified for the Oympics in 1936 in Munich. Hitler was in charge at the time and all the athletes or all the medalists or something were presented with a sapling. The tree was brought back and planted at the old Sigma Chi house--thus the "Hitler Tree". Had to be taken down when they build the "new" house.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
I feel ya. I try to keep it in mind that there's a difference between remembering the past and glorifying it. Statues and buildings fall into the latter for me, books and museums the former. Warning that I'm about to invoke Godwin's Law, but we don't need Hitler Avenue. The Stalin train station. We'll remember the bad guys of history just fine without the need build things in their memory.
But history is told by the last person alive. The history taught today is not the full story as those who lived at the time know it to be. To remember history is not to glorify what happened.

jakeman

Unhinged Idiot
A/V Subscriber
Apr 4, 2005
Limbo
But history is told by the last person alive. The history taught today is not the full story as those who lived at the time know it to be. To remember history is not to glorify what happened.

Right, and we don't need statues of confederate generals anywhere except on battlefields or where their dead asses are buried. We also don't need public schools named after Robert E Lee in predominately black neighborhoods or communities. I went to one when I was in elementary school, and I've been very interested in Lee since then, and have read on him and about him and his writings. He was a very interesting man. Flawed, but interesting none the less. The school was built by the WPA on "the other side of the tracks" and there isn't a doubt in my mind why that school alone, of all 8 elementary schools in that little town, was named after a high ranking member of the CSA.

I don't think they should be torn down or destroyed, but they need to be moved and renamed. To not do it is bullshit and perpetuates the systemic racism they are fighting against. It needs to happen. It should have happened a long, long time ago.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
In response to that--if it was about the Hitler tree--if remember correctly, the Sigma Chi's had a member that qualified for the Oympics in 1936 in Munich. Hitler was in charge at the time and all the athletes or all the medalists or something were presented with a sapling. The tree was brought back and planted at the old Sigma Chi house--thus the "Hitler Tree". Had to be taken down when they build the "new" house.
That's the one. It had a little plaque that mentioned it was presented by Hitler. It became a stopping point to pee on the way home at night. You could get all self righteous and act like it was because Hitler, but mostly it was just an excuse to pee on the Sigma Chi lawn.

It's funny because I think today it might get more attention, but nobody really seemed to care back then.

naffigator

I am SuperKing!
A/V Subscriber
Apr 2, 2008
In a burnin' ring of fire.
It was Frank Lewis who wrestled for OSU and was a Sigma Chi. He won the gold in freestyle wrestling at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. The Germans gave all the medalists oak saplings from the Black Forest. Frank Lewis brought his back and planted it at the Sigma Chi house. It survived the building of the new house but later got some fungus (probably from all you winos pissing on it :p) and had to be cut down. I believe the tree that's on the east side of the Sigma Chi house now is from an acorn from the Hitler tree.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
It was Frank Lewis who wrestled for OSU and was a Sigma Chi. He won the gold in freestyle wrestling at the 1936 Berlin Olympics. The Germans gave all the medalists oak saplings from the Black Forest. Frank Lewis brought his back and planted it at the Sigma Chi house. It survived the building of the new house but later got some fungus (probably from all you winos pissing on it :p) and had to be cut down. I believe the tree that's on the east side of the Sigma Chi house now is from an acorn from the Hitler tree.
I assume they left out the plaque? If someone saw that today they would take it as an homage to Hitler and once it hit twitter, you know how that could go.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Right, and we don't need statues of confederate generals anywhere except on battlefields or where their dead asses are buried. We also don't need public schools named after Robert E Lee in predominately black neighborhoods or communities. I went to one when I was in elementary school, and I've been very interested in Lee since then, and have read on him and about him and his writings. He was a very interesting man. Flawed, but interesting none the less. The school was built by the WPA on "the other side of the tracks" and there isn't a doubt in my mind why that school alone, of all 8 elementary schools in that little town, was named after a high ranking member of the CSA.

I don't think they should be torn down or destroyed, but they need to be moved and renamed. To not do it is bullshit and perpetuates the systemic racism they are fighting against. It needs to happen. It should have happened a long, long time ago.
Should all Oklahoma historic figures and names be removed ? If so lets rename Murray County, Alfalfa County, Stonewall, Oklahoma etc. And there are lots more etc.

Patron

Banned
Banned
Oct 12, 2019
Dustin,ok
Crosses have to come down, no problem most are to timid to resist. Any mention of JESUS must be banned, all Demonocrats would approve and most Republicans are not quite sure. George Orwell’s book 1984 must be banned and burned.