Mount Rushmore of OSU Coaches

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 8, 2013
For me, the locks would be:
- Iba
- Gallagher
- Holder

The fourth spot would be between (in this order):
- John Smith
- Eddie Sutton
- Gary Ward
- Mike Gundy (obviously time to move higher).
I am closest to this. I agree completely with the 3 locks. For the fourth - fair or unfair - I remove John Smith and Eddie Sutton (as much as I love them both) since their sports are already represented (same applies to others like Griffith and Roderick). Then that leaves Ward or Gundy. Ward's record (conference championships, etc.) would win that tie-breaker, but Gundy's impact for OSU nationally has been greater (I can talk to non-OSU sports fans from any part of the country and they know Oklahoma State football and they think of it more highly than most of us do). So, bottom line, I cautiously make a predictive choice for Gundy as the 4th spot (as you said, he can still "move higher". The carving can have his short 2011 hair on the front... with a mullet carved into the back of the mountain (and hopefully representing an incredible 2020 season and more). [I will admit is does seem awkward writing Gundy along with the 3 others.]

Seriously, however, I like my reasoning for having only 1 spot per sport on the mountain... we are a multi-sport athletic department. The school down south would not have 4 different sports represented.

Nov 6, 2010
I think Holder has to be a lock.

As a student at OSU he won the Big 8 individual championship and was 3rd team All American.
As a coach we won 25 conference championships and 8 national championships. He was the driving force behind creating possibly the best college golf course in the country.
As an AD he pushed the fundraising that took our facilities in virtually every sport from subpar to some of the finest in the nation, often times while taking an annual salary of $1.
That is a solid resume. Hard to believe there are some who want to run him off every time we lose a football game. Well, I guess it's not really that hard to believe. You should post this every time that discussion starts up in the future.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
That is a solid resume. Hard to believe there are some who want to run him off every time we lose a football game. Well, I guess it's not really that hard to believe. You should post this every time that discussion starts up in the future.
He doesn't help his own case that he comes across pretty arrogant and is somewhat lacking in people skills to those with savings in less than 7 digits. He has established himself as true Orange and made huge contributions to the athletic success of the school since he was old enough to drink a beer.

Jan 16, 2019
Punta Gorda, Florida
I would bet Ward would have won championships with a stadium like we have today, sure John woild have won more Nattys with improved facilities, Gundies accomplishments will always have a * by everything he has done cause of T Boone half a bilion dollars.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
I would bet Ward would have won championships with a stadium like we have today, sure John woild have won more Nattys with improved facilities, Gundies accomplishments will always have a * by everything he has done cause of T Boone half a bilion dollars.
In that era, no one had a stadium like O'Brate. Allie P was a lot better than most schools had then. Prior to Allie didn't OSU play at the the Payne County Fairgrounds? It was my era, but I can't remember.

Feb 25, 2008
In that era, no one had a stadium like O'Brate. Allie P was a lot better than most schools had then. Prior to Allie didn't OSU play at the the Payne County Fairgrounds? It was my era, but I can't remember.
Allie P was built where OSU was already playing ball. Before that I don't know, but my brother played for Seminole Jr College (Coach Ward wanted him to play as a freshman otherwise he would have been a Cowboy) and they played some fall ball vs OSU in '79 and '80.

https://okstate.com/sports/2015/3/17/GEN_2014010155.aspx
The 1981 season signaled the start of a new chapter in Oklahoma State baseball history. The Cowboys began play in one of the nation's finest facilities and with it came the program's return to national prominence.
With the start of the 2010 season, Allie P. Reynolds Stadium begins its 30th year as home to Oklahoma State baseball. Located on the northeast side of the OSU campus, Reynolds Stadium is located on the same site as the old baseball facility, University Park, and is named in honor of former OSU and major league pitching great Allie P. Reynolds.

Last edited:

oSuAusTex

Territorial Marshal
Jul 24, 2005
Stillwater
Yeah, I was a student 1969-1973 and remember going to baseball games at "University Park". I actually forgot the name until mentioned in the above post.

The stands were similar to what are the metal stands down the left field line of Allie P. And the metal stands at Allie P hide a grassy knoll that was popular to sit on to watch games back in those days.

I don't remember the capacity of University Park. Probably around 2,000 not counting the number of fans sitting on the grassy knoll.

Oct 16, 2003
Edmond, OK
Alum in AZ...

I can agree with everything you've said...

- The "one per sport" makes sense.
- Gundy raising the national awareness for OSU in the prominent sport.

I just wish Gundy had more Conference Championships. I'd like to see him add a couple before I start carving on the stone...

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
I can't put Gundy on the Mount Rushmore of OSU coaches yet. He hasn't made a title game, he has one Big 12 Championship. Compared with the other coaches listed above, they all have either won a National Championship, made it to a Championship game or to a Final Four. They also have won more than one conference championship. To make it to Mount Rushmore of coaches at OSU, Gundy has some work to do in my opinion.

John Smith comes close to Mount Rushmore but quite isn't there yet. He has 5 National Championships but that pales to Gallagher's 11 and Art Griffith's 8 in 13 years. Smith would be on a wrestling only Mount Rushmore right now though.
Seems your premise here's a bit flawed, imo.

So, a FInal Four in Basketball, but finishing 3rd in the BCS era by the slimmest margin in it's history isn't the equivalent? Have to disagree with that.

I agree that Gundy's not there yet, for me either.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
Tier 1
Iba - Basketball
Roderick -Wrestling
Ward - Baseball
Gundy - Football

Tier 2
Sutton - Basketball
Smith - Wrestling
Holiday - Baseball
Jones - Football

Golf and the other sports are not major sports.

Last edited: