Mother successfully shoots person who she thought was an intruder in her home

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
(CNN)A woman in St. Cloud, Florida, woke up just before midnight Tuesday and fired a shot at a person she thought had broken into her home.

But the person wasn't an intruder; it was her 27-year-old daughter.

The woman fired one round, but police didn't say where the bullet hit the daughter. She died at a hospital.

The shooting appears to be accidental, police said. An investigation is ongoing.

"The homeowner's story is consistent with the physical evidence and the witness' statement," police said.

The woman's husband is a former undercover narcotics officer with the St. Cloud Police Department.

In a recording of the 911 call provided by police, the husband tells a dispatcher that his daughter has a pacemaker and heart problems. She had passed out, he says. He does not mention a gunshot.

After getting instructions to start CPR, the husband leaves the phone and a woman frantically talks to the dispatcher. The daughter is still breathing but very slowly, she says.

About five minutes into the call, the dispatcher tells the woman that paramedics should have arrived.

The officer, a 17-year-veteran, is on administrative leave but is not under investigation, the department said.

The mother is a 911 dispatcher for the Osceola County Sheriff's Office. St. Cloud is south of Orlando, in central Florida.

Police have asked the media not to identify the family members involved for safety reasons because of the husband's past as an undercover officer.
http://www.cnn.com/2015/12/30/us/florida-mother-shoots-daughter/index.html

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
@msq2 FILLED WITH DEEP ROOTED HATRED FOR WOMEN

-OrangePower News (12/31/15)

Anonymous poster @msq2 has been discovered to have a hatred of women who kill puppies by setting them on fire after covering them in their own feces. He also has been credited with hundreds of misleading headlines.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
@msq2 FILLED WITH DEEP ROOTED HATRED FOR WOMEN

-OrangePower News (12/31/15)

Anonymous poster @msq2 has been discovered to have a hatred of women who kill puppies by setting them on fire after covering them in their own feces. He also has been credited with hundreds of misleading headlines.
Title is not misleading. Try rereading it. Name one no factual statement in the title.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Very sad for that family. Did the daughter live with her parents?? Also, go ahead and chalk one more on the board for Florida...
Police have asked the media not to identify the family members involved for safety reasons because of the husband's past as an undercover officer.
BTW, this would be unnecessary HAD THEY NOT REVEALED HIM AS AN UNDERCOVER POLICE OFFICER... :facepalm: How was that even relevant??

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Very sad for that family. Did the daughter live with her parents?? Also, go ahead and chalk one more on the board for Florida...

BTW, this would be unnecessary HAD THEY NOT REVEALED HIM AS AN UNDERCOVER POLICE OFFICER... :facepalm: How was that even relevant??
Relevant to why they had a gun. Logically someone might want revenge fit a drug bust.

Last edited:

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Relevant to why they had a gun. Logically someone night want revenge fit a drug bust.
Why should it matter why they have a gun? I could see maybe as a reason for why they reacted like that to someone coming into their house late at night but does that really necessitate saying he was a former undercover officer? They could have just said he was a retired police officer.

msq2

Banned
Banned
Aug 27, 2009
Why should it matter why they have a gun? I could see maybe as a reason for why they reacted like that to someone coming into their house late at night but does that really necessitate saying he was a former undercover officer? They could have just said he was a retired police officer.
No idea, neither of us have degrees in journalism. This is the second recent Florida case of a police family shooting a totally innocent person. Maybe it's something in the water down there.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Yes it's sad for that family but there are FAR more instances of homeowners shooting acutal intruders in their home so if this was meant as an entry into the gun control discussion it only drives home the point that the left prefers to use isolated incidents of emotion in the debate because the overal actual numbers simply don't support their position.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
Yes it's sad for that family but there are FAR more instances of homeowners shooting acutal intruders in their home so if this was meant as an entry into the gun control discussion it only drives home the point that the left prefers to use isolated incidents of emotion to argue their point because the overal ctual numbers simply don't support their position.
Also why I asked if we know if the daughter lived with them. I'm a similar age and I know better than to just go into my parents house late at night unannounced... And my dad doesn't even have the threat this guy did from being an undercover officer...

Cimarron

It's not dying I'm talking about, it's living.
Jun 28, 2007
But here are the pieces to the puzzle.

The woman's husband is a former undercover narcotics officer with the St. Cloud Police Department.

The officer, a 17-year-veteran, is on administrative leave

The mother is a 911 dispatcher for the Osceola County Sheriff's Office. .
Also, watch for funeral announcements.....

Sep 22, 2011
Yes it's sad for that family but there are FAR more instances of homeowners shooting acutal intruders in their home so if this was meant as an entry into the gun control discussion it only drives home the point that the left prefers to use isolated incidents of emotion in the debate because the overal actual numbers simply don't support their position.
This is patently false.

Pokit N

Cashing Checks & Snapping Necks!
A/V Subscriber
Sep 29, 2006
South Elgin, IL
This is patently false.
What is true is that in 2013 about 500 people were killed in "accidental" gun shootings. Which is tragic but amounted to about: .02% of all deaths for the year. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
Total Fire Arms related deaths for the year were just under 33K, of those 33K deaths, 21 Thousand were suicides.
about 11 thousand people were murdered w/ firearms. Less than 1/2 of 1% of total deaths.

PokealypseNow

You Can Dere-Lick My Footballs, Cap-E-Tan
Oct 15, 2008
Gundy's Rattlesnake Hunting Lease
What is true is that in 2013 about 500 people were killed in "accidental" gun shootings. Which is tragic but amounted to about: .02% of all deaths for the year. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/data/nvsr/nvsr64/nvsr64_02.pdf
Total Fire Arms related deaths for the year were just under 33K, of those 33K deaths, 21 Thousand were suicides.
about 11 thousand people were murdered w/ firearms. Less than 1/2 of 1% of total deaths.
And of that 11k, how many were criminal-on-criminal shootings involving ghetto gang bangers, tweakers, or drug cartel types?

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
I'm sorry, but is anyone else confused by the results and conclusions of this?? That math looks fuzzy... That or they're leaving out some info that's leaving me confused.
This doesn't appear to be the homeowners guns being used in every case. The 438 assaults/homicides really jumps out at me. Followed by 3 that included law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty.

Are the 438 homeowners that fell victim to thugs? Far to many unintentional shooting's I'll give the gun control people that. I could see something getting passed that required people to pass a gun safety class before being able to purchase a firearm from this data but not much else. Something like the hunter safety requirements in most states.

oks10

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2007
Yukon, OK
This doesn't appear to be the homeowners guns being used in every case. The 438 assaults/homicides really jumps out at me. Followed by 3 that included law enforcement officers acting in the line of duty.

Are the 438 homeowners that fell victim to thugs? Far to many unintentional shooting's I'll give the gun control people that. I could see something getting passed that required people to pass a gun safety class before being able to purchase a firearm from this data but not much else. Something like the hunter safety requirements in most states.
Yeah, there's no mention of in how many cases the homeowners had guns. They make it sound like based on their data the result is most homeowners guns get used against them or accidentally against others (not in self defense) but there's no way the numbers are THAT off...