Morel Mushrooms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
WHen you get that many, how do you keep them?? Freeze, can??
Picked them last spring. Although I know some people freeze them, I have never froze or canned any morels. They don't last that long for me . . . I find ways to eat them and share them with friends. Fried, mushroom bisque, and mushroom/whiskey sauce for topping on steaks.

Some people will season and flour them, then fry them to "half-done" and freeze them that way. I hear of others who dehydrate them before freezing.

Nov 6, 2010
Picked them last spring. Although I know some people freeze them, I have never froze or canned any morels. They don't last that long for me . . . I find ways to eat them and share them with friends. Fried, mushroom bisque, and mushroom/whiskey sauce for topping on steaks.

Some people will season and flour them, then fry them to "half-done" and freeze them that way. I hear of others who dehydrate them before freezing.
Thanks for the info. I've never hunted them myself, but had a couple uncles that were stupid about them, but I never got around to going with them. They are gone now, so I regret that, but when you're a kid, that just doesn't sound very exciting. Anyway, I live in Omaha now and it's right on the Missouri River, so I think that river bottom should surely have some. I'm going to give it a look and see what I can find.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Thanks for the info. I've never hunted them myself, but had a couple uncles that were stupid about them, but I never got around to going with them. They are gone now, so I regret that, but when you're a kid, that just doesn't sound very exciting. Anyway, I live in Omaha now and it's right on the Missouri River, so I think that river bottom should surely have some. I'm going to give it a look and see what I can find.
Don't get discouraged once you start. It oftentimes requires many hours over several days, and timing is critical. You may search an area to find no mushrooms, and one or two days later there are hundreds. I liken it to the adult equivalent of an Easter egg hunt. Fun, outdoors, exercise, and rewarding when successful.
Oh, and quiet stealth is paramount. If they hear you coming, they sneak back into the ground. ;)

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Don't get discouraged once you start. It oftentimes requires many hours over several days, and timing is critical. You may search an area to find no mushrooms, and one or two days later there are hundreds. I liken it to the adult equivalent of an Easter egg hunt. Fun, outdoors, exercise, and rewarding when successful.
Oh, and quiet stealth is paramount. If they hear you coming, they sneak back into the ground. ;)
Sorta like a turtle after swimming in the pool ;)

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Here is what I found online:

Cooking for Freezing
Mushrooms should be cooked before freezing. There are two ways to accomplish this:

Sauteing: Heat the mushrooms in a frying pan with a small amount of butter or oil over high heat. Cook them for about five minutes, or until the mushrooms are fully cooked, and most of the liquid has evaporated.

Steaming: To minimize the darkening effect of steaming, soak the mushrooms in a solution of one teaspoon lemon juice or 1 1/2 teaspoons of citric acid to one pint of water for five minutes. Then steam following these recommended times:

• Whole mushrooms: 5 minutes
  • Button mushrooms: 3 1/2 minutes
  • Quartered mushrooms: 3 1/2 minutes
  • Sliced mushrooms: 3 minutes

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Picked 3 yesterday, here in the Ardmore area, and found many more small 'shrooms. Decided to leave them for about 48 hours. Will go back and pick them tomorrow evening.