Morel Mushrooms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Only found 10. The middle one is about the size of a soda can.
View attachment 53738
I'm thinking about enhancing my spot. Produces every year but I'd like to see more. They sell multiple kits to get them started. A lot of people have problems because they plant them in places they won't grow.

https://www.amazon.com/Morel-Habitat-Kit-Backyard-Mushroom/dp/B00H9KMCLY/ref=pd_sbs_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00H9KMCLY&pd_rd_r=TZM9FHF5K8WAXE95X9CD&pd_rd_w=F2PwK&pd_rd_wg=3YgLg&psc=1&refRID=TZM9FHF5K8WAXE95X9CD#Ask

agec

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Sep 7, 2004
Mulhall
I'm thinking about enhancing my spot. Produces every year but I'd like to see more. They sell multiple kits to get them started. A lot of people have problems because they plant them in places they won't grow.

https://www.amazon.com/Morel-Habitat-Kit-Backyard-Mushroom/dp/B00H9KMCLY/ref=pd_sbs_86_1?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00H9KMCLY&pd_rd_r=TZM9FHF5K8WAXE95X9CD&pd_rd_w=F2PwK&pd_rd_wg=3YgLg&psc=1&refRID=TZM9FHF5K8WAXE95X9CD#Ask
I think I saw an ad in this months Oklahoma Living magazine for Morel spores. I have my doubts about how successful it would be.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I think I saw an ad in this months Oklahoma Living magazine for Morel spores. I have my doubts about how successful it would be.
Buyer beware!

As I have stated before, they have not figured out how to grow them commercially yet, so I am very skeptical of these marketing ploys as well.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Buyer beware!

As I have stated before, they have not figured out how to grow them commercially yet, so I am very skeptical of these marketing ploys as well.
Success with them is spotty. The people who have had success have put them out where they are known to grow. Others have gone to extremes to create a garden with the right soil conditions.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
The wild hogs are tearing up the ground and eating them faster than they can pop out on our spots.
I no longer think hogs eat morels. They commonly root around in spots where morels grow, but I believe they are feeding on something else that is found in habitat that is favorable for morels. I have picked too many mushrooms where hogs are rooting and have even found some that were disturbed by all the rooting - that could have easily been eaten by the hogs had they chose.
I do not know what animal competition we have for morels, but the only animal that I have personally seen eating them is a terrapin.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Has anyone seen any yet this year. Redbuds and dogwoods are starting to bloom in the NE seems it should be about time to start looking,
Haven't looked yet, but will any day. Funny that, the dogwoods are not blooming here. Poison ivy is not leafing and greening to the extent it typically does when the morels are out, but we need rain.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
So I’ve never hunted morels. Do they grow in SE Oklahoma? I’ve got land down there to look on. Where do they prefer to grow? Shade, sun, under certain trees?
Yeah they grow all over the state. Around Elm, Ash, Poplar and Apple trees are common places to look. In Oklahoma I have had most of my luck around creek bottoms. Dead timber is always a plus. I also hear they are known to grow in pine forest that have had a recent fire. Guess they grow thee all the time but you can only find them after a burn.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Went to Hailey Creek yesterday to see if any were up there. Forgot to bring waders so abandoned the hunt. Can't believe how wet it still is there.

Not sure how this cold snap is going to affect them.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Was kind of late for me this year. Hadn't been out since last weekend, but hit the jackpot today. Picked 372 shrooms from a 100' x 200' spot. That's 744 halves, sliced and rinsed!
4-6-18.jpg

372 morels Dickson, OK.jpg
372 shrooms.jpg

IMG_2581.jpg

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
Was kind of late for me this year. Hadn't been out since last weekend, but hit the jackpot today. Picked 372 shrooms from a 100' x 200' spot. That's 744 halves, sliced and rinsed!
I can't express how jealous I get seeing how well you do down here when I find ONE! Went up to the Fish Hatchery north of town and walked around the woods by Pennington Creek. Found this one quickly, but no more. I also walked the woods out by the Ardmore Airport (Lake Murray) with no success. I figured I might find some with all the creeks that run through there.

mo.jpg

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
I can't express how jealous I get seeing how well you do down here when I find ONE! Went up to the Fish Hatchery north of town and walked around the woods by Pennington Creek. Found this one quickly, but no more. I also walked the woods out by the Ardmore Airport (Lake Murray) with no success. I figured I might find some with all the creeks that run through there.

View attachment 60560
I think, other than the occasional late riser, it is pretty much over by now. Although they can fool you, I like to focus on creeks that have Sycamores and Elms. That being said, they are going to be where they are going to be.