Morel Mushrooms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
So where do they grow? I Havent really heard of them but think it would be fun for me and my daughter to go do outside. Any hints ?
Usually in bottom land in Oklahoma. Not wet enough for them to grow everywhere. Hakey creek park in Tulsa/Bixby has some but quite a few people hunt there. Just get off the paths and walk the creek.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
Alright all you junior morel hunters, keep this in mind.
http://thegreatmorel.com/falsemorel2.html

I've only seen a few toxicities, but they looked pretty miserable.
And, while sitting in your comfy chair looking at the internet, you probably think, "No way I make that mistake." But, after bushwalking for a hour or two and finding nothing, something that was close might become more tempting.

OSU Sig

Federal Marshal
Jan 28, 2005
Edmond

And, while sitting in your comfy chair looking at the internet, you probably think, "No way I make that mistake." But, after bushwalking for a hour or two and finding nothing, something that was close might become more tempting.
So you must think you're a doctor, or something. Oh wait...;)

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK

Actually quite a few people eat the verpa which is the last one shown. Very small number of people have a reaction to them. Also they are the most likely to be mistaken for a morel. Not sure if they grow in ok or not. Easy to distinguish when cleaning. If there is stuff in the middle when you cut them in half throw it out.

Darth Ryno

Territorial Marshal
Jul 26, 2004
Tishomingo, OK
www.sith.ws
I haven't hunted them in Tish. I key on timbered areas along creeks. I prefer to see sycamore and elm trees, as, according to the literature that I can find, they seem to be the most prevalent "carriers" of the sporelating (sp?) mechanism that produces morels.
Some people key on cedar trees, and I have found them there as well, but I tend to think that there are probably sycamore or elm roots running under those cedars and they are just providing a good environment for the morels.

Thank you! I'll look around some of the creeks around here.

tyokstate

Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Aug 8, 2005
Ardmore, OK
They are just getting started in Garvin County this past week. Miss all my honey holes around the Ardmore area. For those in north parts of Oklahoma. I have found that for every 100 miles, there is a two week difference as to when they pop up.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
morel.jpg

Wasn't much of a haul just 25 or so but they sure were good. Stumbled onto a new spot by accident. Out Turkey hunting, getting set up and looked down and saw one right by me. We put down the guns and went morel hunting instead. Looks like there is at least another couple weeks of hunting up here this was in Creek County and my Folks found some in Tulsa County this weekend also.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
That's what I tried to do.. there were a few my girls yanked out of the ground :)
Yeah my Father in-law does the same thing I don't like taking him to any of my spots. He will have it killed out in 2 or 3 years by over hunting and pulling the whole thing. If I hunt it myself it will still be making mushrooms in 20 years.