Morel Mushrooms

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
better get to them before the pigs find them.
I have long suspected hogs and armadillos, but have never seen any real evidence. Even though they root in areas that produce mushrooms, I tend to think there is something else they are after in the organic matter where mushrooms grow. So many times I have picked a completely unmolested mushroom(s) right beside a rooted area that is rife with hog or armadillo sign. Only once or twice have I seen crumbled remains of a morel that had obviously been eaten by something.
I have, though, personally witnessed a terrapin actually eating a morel. They are no longer such harmless little critters to me. :cursing:

Boomer.....

Territorial Marshal
Feb 15, 2007
OKC
Excuse the ignorance, but explain the whole morel mushroom thing. I assume they're good eats, but how do they differ from normal mushrooms you can buy in a store? Is it just because you can pick them in the wild?

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
Excuse the ignorance, but explain the whole morel mushroom thing. I assume they're good eats, but how do they differ from normal mushrooms you can buy in a store? Is it just because you can pick them in the wild?
Obviously, you have never eaten a morel. About 1,000 times better than any mushroom you can buy. They cannot figure out how to grow them commercially. Will make me push U.S.D.A. Prime steak and fried Crappie to the side.
It's about a 2 week phenomena that occurs each spring, and I dream about them the other 50 weeks of the year.
Fix them any way you like. Think Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. here. I fry them, I make a mushroom bisque with them, and a morel and bourbon topping for steak. Great with fried or scrambled eggs. Most unbelievable delicacy you have ever tasted.
When the morel season is over, I will look like someone loaded a weedeater with barbed wire and just whipped the hell out of me; briar cuts and scratches from head-to-toe. Poison ivy all over me. Dehydrated morels will fetch $20-$40 per pound in many places. Fresh morels can fetch $350 per pound! I would not sell mine for that.

Deere Poke

I'd rather be in the woods
A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
All my honey holes got developed and the honey hole I had in the country got logged to make room for cattle so I'm looking for a new one. Glad to hear they are out I'll have to go look this weekend.

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
Here is a picture of some growing, if you see some pick em and fry em you'll be hooked. I usually find them in bottom lands around here.

Donnyboy

Lettin' the high times carry the low....
A/V Subscriber
Oct 31, 2005
Morels are good, very good, but if they grew year round people wouldn't go as crazy for them as they do.

Feb 6, 2007
Ardmore, Ok.
3/26 Report:

Picked 25-30 this evening. Left 100 or more small ones to grow. Just beginning to emerge down here around Ardmore. Will get after them hard and heavy beginning Monday next week.
Dogwoods still not blooming, and poison ivy and greenbriar have not begun leafing out yet. A week from now, I expect to have a pickup load!
IMG_1097.JPG
IMG_1098.JPG

Deere Poke

A/V Subscriber
Feb 13, 2014
Bixby-Bristow OK
3/26 Report:

Picked 25-30 this evening. Left 100 or more small ones to grow. Just beginning to emerge down here around Ardmore. Will get after them hard and heavy beginning Monday next week.
Dogwoods still not blooming, and poison ivy and greenbriar have not begun leafing out yet. A week from now, I expect to have a pickup load!
View attachment 37328 View attachment 37329
Can I come down for dinner. ;)

sc5mu93

WeaselMonkey
A/V Subscriber
Oct 18, 2006
Fairfield, CT
3/26 Report:

View attachment 37328 View attachment 37329
BRAAAAAAINS....