More Ohio State wrestlers say Rep. Jim Jordan knew about sexual abuse when he was coach

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
From NBC News:

More Ohio State wrestlers say Rep. Jim Jordan knew about sexual abuse when he was coach
One wrestler said Jordan, a former assistant coach at Ohio State, took part in locker-room conversations where athletes discussed the abuse.
by Corky Siemaszko / Jul.05.2018 / 9:38 PM ET / Updated Jul.06.2018 / 1:56 PM ET

More former Ohio State University wrestlers have come forward to contradict Rep. Jim Jordan’s claim that he had no idea the wrestling team doctor was molesting athletes.

One of the wrestlers, Shawn Dailey, said he was groped half a dozen times by Dr. Richard Strauss in the mid-1990s, when Jordan was the assistant wrestling coach. Dailey said he was too embarrassed to report the abuse directly to Jordan at the time, but he said Jordan took part in conversations where Strauss' abuse of many other team members came up.

"I participated with Jimmy and the other wrestlers in locker-room talk about Strauss. We all did," Dailey, 43, told NBC News, referring to Jordan. "It was very common knowledge in the locker room that if you went to Dr. Strauss for anything, you would have to pull your pants down.”

Dailey spoke out two days after NBC News reported that three former wrestlers who were coached by Jordan more than two decades ago accused the GOP congressman of turning a blind eye to Strauss' alleged abuse and then lying about it. Jordan denied knowing anything about the abuse and continues to do so.

Dailey corroborated the account of one of those wrestlers, Dunyasha Yetts, who told NBC News that Yetts had protested to Jordan and head coach Russ Hellickson after Strauss tried to pull down his wrestling shorts when Yetts went to see him for a thumb injury.

"Dunyasha comes back and tells Jimmy, ‘Seriously, why do I have to pull down my pants for a thumb injury?’" Dailey recalled. "Jimmy said something to the extent of, ‘If he tried that with me, I would kill him.'"

Calling Jordan “a close friend,” Dailey said he is a Republican and that he contributed to the powerful Ohio congressman’s first political campaign for state representative in 1994.

“What happened drove me out of the sport,” said Dailey, a married father of two who works as a fundraiser for an Ohio college. “So I was surprised to hear Jim say that he knew nothing about it."

“Jimmy’s a good guy,” Dailey added. “But to say that he had no knowledge of it, I would say that’s kind of hurtful.”

Also Thursday, Mark Coleman, another former wrestler and a former UFC world champion, told The Wall Street Journal that Jordan was aware of the abuse and had not taken action. “There’s no way unless he’s got dementia or something that he’s got no recollection of what was going on at Ohio State,” said Coleman, who said he was Jordan's roommate on several wrestling trips.

Jordan, via spokesman Ian Fury, has denied any knowledge of the abuse. On Wednesday, Jordan, a founder of the arch-conservative House Freedom Caucus, who has been floated to succeed retiring House Speaker Paul Ryan, repeated the denial in an interview with Politico.

“It’s not true,” said Jordan, who was assistant wrestling coach at the university from 1986 to 1994. “I never knew about any type of abuse. If I did, I would have done something about it.”

Fury did not immediately respond to a request for comment on Thursday after Dailey's remarks. But Jordan got a shoutout of support from President Donald Trump, who spoke to reporters Thursday on Air Force One.

“I don’t believe them at all," Trump said of the allegations against Jordan. "I believe him. Jim Jordan is one of the most outstanding people I’ve met since I’ve been in Washington. I believe him 100 percent. No question in my mind. I believe Jim Jordan 100 percent. He’s an outstanding man.”

Strauss died of suicide in 2005. The university opened an investigation into the abuse in April after former Ohio State wrestler Mike DiSabato came forward with allegations.

The Perkins Coie law firm, which is overseeing the probe for the university, has interviewed more than 150 former students and witnesses so far, OSU officials said. Former athletes from 14 Ohio State sports have reported abuse by Strauss, the university said.

Dailey said he has spoken twice with investigators from Perkins Coie. Asked if they questioned him about Jordan’s actions at the time, as well as the actions of the other coaches, Daily answered, “They did.”

“I was one of the first five or 10 people they spoke with,” Dailey said he was told by investigators. “They largely wanted to know what my experiences were, what had happened, if it had been reported.”

Yetts and two other former Ohio State wrestlers previously told NBC News that it was common knowledge that Strauss showered regularly with the students and inappropriately touched them during appointments. Yetts, who served 18 months in prison for stealing nearly $2 million from investors, was the only wrestler who said he had directly reported the abuse to Jordan, but all three wrestlers said it would have been impossible for Jordan to be unaware of the abuse.

Hellickson, the former coach and Jordan's mentor, said in a recent video — made by DiSabato — that he had told Strauss that he was being too "hands on” with students.

The Perkins Coie investigators are in possession of that video, DiSabato said.

Fox News reported Thursday that Jordan has received what he described as threatening emails from DiSabato, including one that landed in his inbox early on Wednesday and was “the last straw.” Jordan forwarded the emails to the U.S. Capitol Police, which is reviewing them, Fox reported. NBC News has reached out to the Capitol Police but has not confirmed the report.

Dailey said that after he left the team in 1996, he underwent counseling to deal with what happened.

“Over the years, I kind of beat myself up for not reporting it,” he said. “There were so many signs about what Strauss was doing and that they were ignored. It's very frustrating.”

Dailey said he’s speaking out now because he knows it’s hard for men to publicly acknowledge sexual abuse, and he wants to be an “advocate for men and boys to come forward with these issues.”

“You get the sense that you’re really not going to get justice,” he said. “That’s the part that bothers me the most. What happened was so widespread.”

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
Trump

“I don’t believe them at all. I believe him. Jim Jordan is one of the most outstanding people I’ve met since I’ve been in Washington,” Trump said to reporters during a brief gaggle aboard Air Force One on Thursday. “I believe him 100 percent. No question in my mind. I believe Jim Jordan 100 percent. He’s an outstanding man.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ex-abuse-scandal-trumps-endorses-him-100.html

Aug 11, 2004
Newkirk, Ok
I don't quite get this one. How do you grope a college wrestler without getting body slammed? Maybe most of them would be too surprised but you would think there would be a wrestler on the team that would have beat this guy into the ground.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I don't quite get this one. How do you grope a college wrestler without getting body slammed? Maybe most of them would be too surprised but you would think there would be a wrestler on the team that would have beat this guy into the ground.
Yep

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
I was wondering that myself. Groping a guy who hasn't eaten in 3 months might not be such a good idea.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
Trump

“I don’t believe them at all. I believe him. Jim Jordan is one of the most outstanding people I’ve met since I’ve been in Washington,” Trump said to reporters during a brief gaggle aboard Air Force One on Thursday. “I believe him 100 percent. No question in my mind. I believe Jim Jordan 100 percent. He’s an outstanding man.”

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligence...ex-abuse-scandal-trumps-endorses-him-100.html
I agree with Trump. I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys weren’t getting paid. Sounds like a George Soros funded smear campaign. The left have no winning policy arguments, all they can do is try to make up lies and smear those who are threats to their disturbed way of thinking! I hope Jordan is the next Speaker.

steross

Bookface/Instagran legend
A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
I agree with Trump. I wouldn’t be surprised if these guys weren’t getting paid. Sounds like a George Soros funded smear campaign. The left have no winning policy arguments, all they can do is try to make up lies and smear those who are threats to their disturbed way of thinking! I hope Jordan is the next Speaker.

Calling Jordan “a close friend,” Dailey said he is a Republican and that he contributed to the powerful Ohio congressman’s first political campaign for state representative in 1994.

How exactly does Soros go about approaching multiple Republicans to offer illegal payment for a smear campaign against someone that they consider a friend and even donated to? Wouldn't the success rate of such an operation be incredibly low? You are a good republican, how much would Soros need to offer you to smear an old friend that is a Republican? Would you not instead record/document the conversation and smear Soros instead of smearing your friend?

I think that conspiracy theory is incredibly unlikely.

More likely that Jordan knew, but didn't think it was something worth making a big deal about. Back then people tended not to make a big deal about behaviors that are now considered highly inappropriate. Men grabbing waitresses and such was not condoned, but not really punished either. Similar story from my past- when I was a medical student, I had a friend who was not medical. Good looking guy, a gymnast. He told me he went to the doctor for some minor ailment and the doctor did a rectal exam which he felt was strange. As he was leaving, he told the receptionist who says to him, "He does that to all the cute guys."
So, he tells me this and I say, "That is creepy. Don't go back there." These days, if I were told that I would report the doctor to the medical board. But back then that thought didn't cross my mind. Does that now disqualify me for public office 25 years later?

I suspect Jordan knew. I suspect that he felt saying "I'd kill the guy if he did that to me" was a sufficient response at the time. It is only now years later that we want to go back and make the past meet today's standards.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
It wouldn't surprise me to find out that it is politically motivated.

Nov 16, 2013
tractor

How exactly does Soros go about approaching multiple Republicans to offer illegal payment for a smear campaign against someone that they consider a friend and even donated to? Wouldn't the success rate of such an operation be incredibly low? You are a good republican, how much would Soros need to offer you to smear an old friend that is a Republican? Would you not instead record/document the conversation and smear Soros instead of smearing your friend?

I think that conspiracy theory is incredibly unlikely.

More likely that Jordan knew, but didn't think it was something worth making a big deal about. Back then people tended not to make a big deal about behaviors that are now considered highly inappropriate. Men grabbing waitresses and such was not condoned, but not really punished either. Similar story from my past- when I was a medical student, I had a friend who was not medical. Good looking guy, a gymnast. He told me he went to the doctor for some minor ailment and the doctor did a rectal exam which he felt was strange. As he was leaving, he told the receptionist who says to him, "He does that to all the cute guys."
So, he tells me this and I say, "That is creepy. Don't go back there." These days, if I were told that I would report the doctor to the medical board. But back then that thought didn't cross my mind. Does that now disqualify me for public office 25 years later?

I suspect Jordan knew. I suspect that he felt saying "I'd kill the guy if he did that to me" was a sufficient response at the time. It is only now years later that we want to go back and make the past meet today's standards.
If this went on and a group of wrestlers coached by this guy let it go on, even if he didn't know, that means he is a piss poor wrestling coach, a molder of men and not very observant. They are saying the older men were in the shower with them, that's not just getting a "strange rectal exam". I don't know if this is true or not, at some point in time everyone in this mess needs to be accountable. We aren't talking about 15 year old boys here, we are talking about 18 to 23 year old young men.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
If this went on and a group of wrestlers coached by this guy let it go on, even if he didn't know, that means he is a piss poor wrestling coach, a molder of men and not very observant. They are saying the older men were in the shower with them, that's not just getting a "strange rectal exam". I don't know if this is true or not, at some point in time everyone in this mess needs to be accountable. We aren't talking about 15 year old boys here, we are talking about 18 to 23 year old young men.
Anytime you comment on a story like this it can get changed depending on what news has come out and perspective. I don't know anything about showering together and all that and have not researched the details of what everyone is claiming went on. I was only commenting on the article above and all that was mentioned was "locker room talk" about the doctor making them pull their pants down.

And, older men in the shower with younger men occurred in YMCAs and military gyms all the time. Much less often now as most facilities are going to individual stalls instead of the old open shower bays. I showered at gyms with my father and older men all the time as a young teen. Nothing happened. Obviously, that is different than someone molesting someone in the shower, if that is what is being reported.

RxCowboy

A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
From WSJ Opinion Journal:

Jim Jordan and Ohio State

If he knew the school tolerated an abuser, why would he urge relatives to attend?

By James Freeman
July 10, 2018 4:52 p.m. ET

A number of former students at the Ohio State University say that decades ago, a doctor at the school sexually abused them under the pretense of medical examinations. The doctor, Richard Strauss, committed suicide in 2005. According to the Associated Press:

Independent investigators are reviewing allegations against Strauss by men from 14 sports and are also looking into his work for student health services and at his off-campus medical clinic.​

The AP has spoken to eight of the alleged victims and reports:

They described how Strauss fondled them during medical exams and ogled naked young men, sometimes showering among athletes multiple times a day for no apparent reason or perching himself on a stool to stare. Some said Strauss groped them barehanded during physicals, had them drop their pants even while examining them for a cough or heartburn, and badgered students to go home with him.​

The story has generated even more national media coverage than one might expect because treating the wrestling team was among Strauss’ responsibilities and for part of his time at the university, one of the assistant wrestling coaches was Jim Jordan, who is now a conservative U.S. representative seeking to become Speaker of the House.

For Mr. Jordan, it was his first job out of college and he remained on the wrestling staff until the age of 30. Given all the administrators in athletics and medicine—not to mention the many head coaches—who dealt with Strauss over his 20 years on the Ohio State faculty, some may wonder why so much media attention has focused on what a young wrestling assistant might have known about the alleged groper.

It’s not just because Mr. Jordan has since become a prominent lawmaker. A number of former wrestlers have recently said that Mr. Jordan knew or must have known about the alleged abuse and that it was discussed in the locker room. Other former Ohio State wrestlers have come to Mr. Jordan’s defense and said that while Strauss was considered odd, they never saw or heard about any abuse while in the locker room or anywhere else and couldn’t imagine Mr. Jordan tolerating such a thing.

Perhaps a university inquiry can settle the debate. By an odd coincidence, Perkins Coie—the law firm entwined in the salacious Trump dossier scandal that Rep. Jordan and other House Republicans are investigating—is the same law firm now charged with conducting the Ohio State investigation on behalf of the university. Will Perkins Coie be able to provide definitive and credible answers to the many questions surrounding events at Ohio State in the 1980s and 1990s?

Perkins Coie is likely searching for contemporaneous evidence that Mr. Jordan or other coaches knew about the alleged incidents. Mr. Jordan for his part faces the task of trying to prove that he didn’t know something.

In the meantime, the voting public in Ohio and in the House Republican Conference may wish to ponder other events that occurred in the years after Mr. Jordan went to work at Ohio State. In the early 1990s, roughly five years into his job as an assistant coach, Mr. Jordan began recruiting his second cousin, Matt Finkes, to wrestle for the Buckeyes. Mr. Finkes was then a high school wrestling star and as he approached graduation he attracted increasing attention for his football potential as well.

The Ohio State football staff ultimately beat Mr. Jordan in the recruiting battle for Mr. Finkes, who enrolled at the school while Strauss was still on the faculty and still treating students, including athletes.

Mr. Finkes tells this column that he has been close to Mr. Jordan for virtually his entire life. Mr. Finkes adds: “I would trust him with my life and with my kids’ lives and the idea that he would ever put me in a situation where I would be threatened by a sexual predator is so outside the realm of possibility that it’s laughable.”

Mr. Finkes is just one of a number of relatives that Mr. Jordan has encouraged to enroll at Ohio State, and several of them have. If he believed the school tolerated the abuse of students, why would he do that?

May 21, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Victims are victims, don't blame them for getting groped and not doing something. They had a scholarship and their future to lose.

Come on, don't be a Baylor fan and blame the victim.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Victims are victims, don't blame them for getting groped and not doing something. They had a scholarship and their future to lose.

Come on, don't be a Baylor fan and blame the victim.
No wrestler of any weight size on any college team can be "victimized" by any out of shape physician.
In addition no team or coach would object to the whipping.

steross

A/V Subscriber
Mar 31, 2004
Australia
No wrestler of any weight size on any college team can be "victimized" by any out of shape physician.
Really?

So, you would be fine with a small female psychiatrist dating her larger male patient? No way she could be victimizing him, right?

What about a strong female basketball player getting her gynecological exam from a smaller male doctor. No chaperone needed right? After all, no way he could victimize her.

You need a remedial course on the very basics of medical ethics. You could not be more wrong.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
It's an unfortunately reality that we live in now that accusations of sexual assault, either directly or indirectly by ignoring it, are a bonafide and very successful political tool. That doesn't mean things didn't happen and it sure as hell doesn't mean they shouldn't be investigated. Any accusation should be investigated and anybody who contributed directly or willfully ignored such things happening should be held fully accountable for that.

It's just unfortunate that BECAUSE this has become a political tool now, it is only second nature for people to have a large dose of skepticism when such accusations happen just in time for election season. It's sad because such tactics only serve to make it harder to find and punish those who really are guilty of such abhorrent acts and for that reason, we should all want those who would stoop to such tactics to be fully punished as well.

Not saying I know what happened in this specific case. Just saying if this guy willfully ignored it going on, he shouldn't be re-elected. If on the other hand this is a coordinated attack by another candidate or party, then there should be some fairly strong punishment for them if it can be proven.

Feb 11, 2007
Oklahoma City
Really?

So, you would be fine with a small female psychiatrist dating her larger male patient? No way she could be victimizing him, right?

What about a strong female basketball player getting her gynecological exam from a smaller male doctor. No chaperone needed right? After all, no way he could victimize her.

You need a remedial course on the very basics of medical ethics. You could not be more wrong.
Yes....really ! We are talking about a college wrestling team not a female psychiatrist a larger male patients.
Wrestling teams take care of their own from any outsider who would hurt a team member. They also have a ways of dealing with a member of their own team who gets out of line.