More Campus crazy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 7, 2004
TX University Gives in to Student Demands After 2 Day Sit-In: 'Immigration Attorney,' 'Diversity Courses'
JENNI FINK | APR 15, 2018 | 10:51 AM

Texas State University officials have given in to the demands issued by students who engaged in a two-day sit-in to protest the student government president and university's diversity policies.
According to Campus Reform, the protesters created the list of demands and vowed to continue to occupy a campus building if they weren't met. The demands included:

• The immediate release of a published action plan and timeline of providing students with a full-time immigration attorney

• The immediate release of a published action plan and timeline of establishing a Black Studies minor

• The immediate release of a published action plan and timeline of instituting diversity courses into the core curriculum

• The formation of a task force constituting of faculty, administration, and students to address further issues of the cultural climate at Texas State University and produce tangible solutions

• The denouncement and removal of Texas State's Student Body president in response to his racist comments and abuse of power

The sit-in began on Wednesday after the university's student government failed to have enough attendees to vote on the impeachment of Student Government President Connor Clegg.

According to the American-Statesman, Clegg faced calls for his resignation after he advocated for the student newspaper, The University Star, to be defunded over a column entitled “Your DNA is an abomination,” in reference to white people.
“I hate you because you shouldn’t exist; you are both the dominant apparatus on the planet and the void in which all other cultures, upon meeting you, die,” the article stated.
Texas State University President Denise Trauth condemned the article in a statement as “racist” and contrary to the university's core values.
“As president of a university that celebrates its inclusive culture, I detest racism in any manifestation,” she added.

However, Clegg's social media post also garnered her support as being “offensive and racist,” according to the American-Statesman.
The University Star reported on Friday, administration officials met all of the protesters' demands and the sit-in ended roughly 48 hours after it started.
In a series of tweets compiled by The University Star, officials explained the changes that would be implemented:

• Campus Climate Task Force will be created based on campus survey

• A detailed timeline of hiring an immigration attorney will be released soon

• African-American Studies minor proposed for Fall 2019

• Expansion of “inclusion” courses in core curriculum will be explored

According to The University Star, if the demands are not fully met, the group is prepared to either “reoccupy the space or escalate the situation.”
Clegg will also stand trial on Apr. 16 to decide the fate of his impeachment.

Mar 11, 2006
Not quite following the article. The way I read it is the Texas State newspaper published a racist article that white people should die. The student body President denounced the article (also the Texas State University President did as well).

But the protesters want the student body President removed for denouncing the racist remarks? What am I missing?

jetman

Federal Marshal
Nov 27, 2004
Edmond Oklahoma
Not quite following the article. The way I read it is the Texas State newspaper published a racist article that white people should die. The student body President denounced the article (also the Texas State University President did as well).

But the protesters want the student body President removed for denouncing the racist remarks? What am I missing?
I'm wondering the same.