MLB Draft

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Hard to believe Elliott went so late.also hard to believe he and Lyons are jumping to pro ball so quick.seems like 19th and 22nd round would not be that pleasing to them.
A lot of times guys are just happy to be drafted. They’ll still get quite a bit of money and a shot at their dream to play in the majors.

It’s pretty cool to think that an MLB team likes you enough to spend one of their 30-40 picks on you. It may seem like a lot, but if you factor in all of the draft-eligible guys, it’s actually a small percentage of players that get drafted.

DemBoys

Wrangler
Sep 12, 2018
Tulsa
If Elliott has finished up with his degree there really is no point in coming back. Don't think he can drastically improve his draft stock after as well as he pitched this spring.

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
The MLB draft is so much different than any other sport. It's all about leverage. College juniors have negotiating leverage, no matter what round they are drafted. Even if they come back for their senior year and improve by 10-15 rounds, they still run the risk of signing for less money.

Plus, it's all about personal preference for a player. Do they like school? How important is a degree (something you can get later)? For Elliott, he's already been in school for four years, so probably has a degree. Some other guys like Boone and Navigato may have other ideas.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
Gary Ward said it every year. For every kid Drafted another one gets released.
Teams have their short-season and rookie ball rosters to fill out with draft picks, UDFA signings, and international signings.

How many guys already on a minor league roster get released because of a newly drafted player? I’m asking because I don’t know the answer.

Aug 13, 2005
OKC
McCusker wasn’t drafted so I guess he will be back. Seems OSU will be rebuilding next year if some of these players don’t return.

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
On Tour with the Gap Band
strikeupthegapband.com
McCluster wasn’t drafted so I guess he will be back. Seems OSU will be rebuilding next year if some of these players don’t return.

We will be young and very talented. Never know what you’re going to get with teams like that. We do have some important pieces returning in Stone, Scott, Standlee, McCusker, Morrill, Taylor, Sifrit, Hewitt, Cabbiness, and Leeper. Marozas will be a juco arm who could be an immediate BIG impact. Phansalkar and Spiegel will be RS freshmen. I think we also have a juco catcher coming in who was originally going to WV out of HS. Bowman, Davis, and hopefully Osmond will be the type of freshmen that could be an immediate impact. Also, Woodson and hopefully Trenkle could provide an immediate impact too.

Feb 4, 2004
We will be young and very talented. Never know what you’re going to get with teams like that. We do have some important pieces returning in Stone, Scott, Standlee, McCusker, Morrill, Taylor, Sifrit, Hewitt, Cabbiness, and Leeper. Marozas will be a juco arm who could be an immediate BIG impact. Phansalkar and Spiegel will be RS freshmen. I think we also have a juco catcher coming in who was originally going to WV out of HS. Bowman, Davis, and hopefully Osmond will be the type of freshmen that could be an immediate impact. Also, Woodson and hopefully Trenkle could provide an immediate impact too.
The juco catcher is Nick DeNicola from Paris JC.

A few other jucos
Kaden Polcovich - IF - Northwest Florida JC originally from Deer Creek
Noah Denoyer - RHP - San Joaquin Delta College
Tucker Elliott- RHP - Seminole

Last edited:

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
The juco catcher is Nick Denicola from Paris JC.

A few other jucos
Kaden Polcovich - IF - Northwest Florida JC originally from Deer Creek
Noah Denoyer - RHP - San Joaquin Delta College
Tucker Elliott- RHP - Seminole

Thanks for the info. It’s really difficult to keep up with juco baseball recruiting. Or, maybe I just don’t know which sites to frequent.

Mar 1, 2005
Enid, Oklahoma
McCusker and Garcia are two great pieces to build your lineup around. While they haven't been celebrated as much as Boone and Simpson because of the power numbers, those two have been consistently above .300 all year long. Add in Morrill and (hopefully) an improved Cabiness, and that's the start of a nice lineup. I would sure like to add Navigato to that as well, but I don't see him coming back. Pretty sure Boone is gone, since it's hard to improve on a near .300, 20 HR season.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
McCusker and Garcia are two great pieces to build your lineup around. While they haven't been celebrated as much as Boone and Simpson because of the power numbers, those two have been consistently above .300 all year long. Add in Morrill and (hopefully) an improved Cabiness, and that's the start of a nice lineup. I would sure like to add Navigato to that as well, but I don't see him coming back. Pretty sure Boone is gone, since it's hard to improve on a near .300, 20 HR season.
I would also like to add Garcia’s defense has been pretty spectacular. He has saved a number of throwing errors this year.

Ptak'sNewspaper

Territorial Marshal
Sep 30, 2004
strikeupthegapband.com
Ok, so I’ve tried to do a little digging.

There was an article on Bodi Rascón that really makes it sound like he’s leaning toward signing. But, you never know. He sounds like a Lodolo type, tall lefty that can really bring the gas.

An article in the Edmond Sun said that Blake Robertson’s HS coach indicated that he’s unlikely to sign with the Twins. Again, you never know, but this is good news.

Caeden Trenkle has not signed, but I really couldn’t find anything indicating his leaning on the matter.

OstatePokes

Territorial Marshal
Aug 24, 2007
Knoxville, Tennessee
Ok, so I’ve tried to do a little digging.

There was an article on Bodi Rascón that really makes it sound like he’s leaning toward signing. But, you never know. He sounds like a Lodolo type, tall lefty that can really bring the gas.

An article in the Edmond Sun said that Blake Robertson’s HS coach indicated that he’s unlikely to sign with the Twins. Again, you never know, but this is good news.

Caeden Trenkle has not signed, but I really couldn’t find anything indicating his leaning on the matter.
Great research! Would love to get Rascon to campus, but as high as he went I could understand him signing. Getting Robertson and Trenkle would still make this a great class.