Mississippi River Cruise

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 27, 2012
Wishing I was in Stillwater
My wife and I are taking an eight day upper Mississippi river cruise in August from St. Paul, MN to St. Louis, MO. It stops at several ports along the way for day excursions. Has anyone ever taken this trip? We get on in St. Paul, stop at Red Wing, MN, La Crosse, WI, Dubuque, IA, Davenport, IA, and Hannibal , MO before getting off the boat in St. Louis. Any interesting side trips (aside from whatever the boat schedules, I have no idea what the itinerary is) in any of these cities to do in a day?

Brad M

Greenhorn
Jan 16, 2017
Wisconsin
If it were me, I'd want to visit the American Pickers in Davenport IA (perhaps Danielle will be in :) Plus, I'd check out the Mark Twain history stuff in Hannibal. Also you cant go wrong touring some of the breweries in Lacrosse.

Oct 13, 2005
Newton, KS
Not exactly touristy things, and your meals are probably scheduled, but my $.02:

If you're only going to be in Dubuque once in your life (which some might argue would be enough), have a burger at Paul's Tavern. Can't say the burgers are the best I've ever had (they are dang good), but they're made in an ancient gas contraption (100+ yrs old, I believe). If you're anti- hunting/ taxidermy/ etc. don't go. The game selection enshrined in glass around the periphery of the ceiling rivals a small Cabela's. Impressive considering the place is slightly larger than a cracker box. It's a dive's dive, to be sure, but I haven't come across anything like it anywhere. The most similar place I can think of would be Cozy Burger in Salina, KS, but with taxidermy and beer.

Kelly's in Red Wing is on the river, has good food, an outstanding beer selection, if you're into that, and an outdoor seating area should the weather prove cooperative. Other than doing the token Red Wing shoe store thing, which houses the world's largest Red Wing boot and a museum upstairs, I haven't been around that town enough to make any off- the- list tourist recommendations.

Carneyman14

I wanna be formal, but I'm here to party
A/V Subscriber
Oct 20, 2008
Minneapolis, MN.
My wife and I are taking an eight day upper Mississippi river cruise in August from St. Paul, MN to St. Louis, MO. It stops at several ports along the way for day excursions. Has anyone ever taken this trip? We get on in St. Paul, stop at Red Wing, MN, La Crosse, WI, Dubuque, IA, Davenport, IA, and Hannibal , MO before getting off the boat in St. Louis. Any interesting side trips (aside from whatever the boat schedules, I have no idea what the itinerary is) in any of these cities to do in a day?
Get some spotted cow in WI

I heard Red Wing is beautiful. If It was me on the trip I would probably try to book a round of golf at each of the stops and run around and try as many beers as I could.