Mike Gundy is the 14th Best Coach in College Football

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CasperPoke11

The Car'a'carn
Staff
A/V Subscriber
Apr 5, 2012
Stillwater,OK
Mar 31, 2011
If he makes the playoffs he'd jump to Top 10, win a NC and he's top 4-5.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2013
In the Big 12 they rank Patterson 1, Reily 2, and Gundy 3. Would not put the pirate ahead of Gundy.
Patterson is a very good coach. But I would not put him ahead of Gundy. Much of Patterson's success came outside the P5 world. And since joining the Big XII, he has a losing record against Gundy and a lower overall winning percentage despite being the only BXII program right in DFW. . Not sure why he gets ranked ahead of Gundy other than defensive bias.

As for the Pirate, he certainly has the track record of a productive disruptor and he has won at programs that are not historically successful. But the off the field issues would cause me to rank him lower than Gundy as well.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Both Patterson and the Pirate have losing records against Gundy... not much love in the room. IMHO, Patterson, especially, is too high.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
MG seems a bit high to me. Another year like last year and he rightfully will drop out of the Top 20.
Do the math on how many P5 coaches have accumulated as many wins as he has since 2010.

Then check which schools those coaches are at.

O-St8

Orange is power.
A/V Subscriber
Jan 13, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Exactly. Gundy does arguably more with less than anyone.
I totally agree with you, though I do think he had started to fall asleep at the wheel over the past season or two...or at least got drowsy. He basically admitted as much during Big12 media days. It will be interesting to see how his re-engagement affects the way our team plays. Already sounds like the practices are different.

Also I do this the same argument is used with Patterson...which I also can't disagree with but I believe Gundy has done more.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
https://twitter.com/KOCOCarson/status/1158906289721942019
Furthermore OSU was in a grand total of 16 bowls in the years prior to Gundy as head coach...heck in 8 of those he was involved as either a player or an assistant coach. Oklahoma State has been to 13 bowls with him as head coach, w/ just 2 more bowls and he will have been to as many bowls as head coach as we have in 100 years of the program before him. IMHO, there is no doubt he is our best coach / leader in our football programs history and it's not even close at this point. Of course we need him to improve on last years results, but I do think he cares more than any of the other previous coach's, in our modern history anyway, did about the school as much as it's football program. That's what we have needed for 50 plus years for our football program. Wins are nice, but they are sidebar to creating long term good men.

Aug 16, 2012
Furthermore OSU was in a grand total of 16 bowls in the years prior to Gundy as head coach...heck in 8 of those he was involved as either a player or an assistant coach. Oklahoma State has been to 13 bowls with him as head coach, w/ just 2 more bowls and he will have been to as many bowls as head coach as we have in 100 years of the program before him. IMHO, there is no doubt he is our best coach / leader in our football programs history and it's not even close at this point. Of course we need him to improve on last years results, but I do think he cares more than any of the other previous coach's, in our modern history anyway, did about the school as much as it's football program. That's what we have needed for 50 plus years for our football program. Wins are nice, but they are sidebar to creating long term good men.
I am not knocking the bowl record by any means, but it has to be taken with a bit of temperance. Of Gundy's bowl wins, quite a few of the bowls were not even in existence when he was a player.

Insight (Copper/Insight/BWW/Cactus) - 1989 first game
Alamo (twice) - 1993
Heart of Dallas (Heart of Dallas/TicketCity/First Responder) - 2011
Cactus (see above) - 1989
Camping World (Blockbuster/CarQuest/MicronPC/Tangerine/Champs Sports/Russell Athletic/Camping World) - 1990

As such, it is hard to make a direct comparison when there are a lot more bowl games (roughly estimated to be twice as many) offered than in the past.

OSUMIKE17

Property of The Oklahoman and NewsOk.com
A/V Subscriber
Apr 11, 2009
Tulsa
I am not knocking the bowl record by any means, but it has to be taken with a bit of temperance. Of Gundy's bowl wins, quite a few of the bowls were not even in existence when he was a player.

Insight (Copper/Insight/BWW/Cactus) - 1989 first game
Alamo (twice) - 1993
Heart of Dallas (Heart of Dallas/TicketCity/First Responder) - 2011
Cactus (see above) - 1989
Camping World (Blockbuster/CarQuest/MicronPC/Tangerine/Champs Sports/Russell Athletic/Camping World) - 1990

As such, it is hard to make a direct comparison when there are a lot more bowl games (roughly estimated to be twice as many) offered than in the past.
Even so, look at the number of programs/coaches that have missed a bowl game during that same time span...Gary Patterson included.