Message for Men's Basketball seniors

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
You are underestimating what the No. 1 overall NBA prospect can do for a team like this....
McGriff getting down low (for the whole game) and Dizzy as the spot up shooter would be nice. We currently have no one next year with the inside muscle of McGriff and the shooting of Dizzy.

Some may think Dizzy is an unusual person to be excited about, but currently he gets blanketed because there is a big drop off between him and the next guy when it comes to shooting.

I don't think a bonus year will be given out. It would be a big disservice to the Juniors and Sophomores waiting for their chance.

Nov 6, 2010
McGriff getting down low (for the whole game) and Dizzy as the spot up shooter would be nice. We currently have no one next year with the inside muscle of McGriff and the shooting of Dizzy.

Some may think Dizzy is an unusual person to be excited about, but currently he gets blanketed because there is a big drop off between him and the next guy when it comes to shooting.

I don't think a bonus year will be given out. It would be a big disservice to the Juniors and Sophomores waiting for their chance.
Not to mention the scholarship log jams it would create for a lot of teams with incoming classes and current recruits. I just don't see how it could be managed logistically unless they temporarily waived the scholarship limits.

Sep 23, 2010
McGriff is probably the only guy I would think would be good to be back. We currently don't have a ton of options at that 4 spot next year, particularly one that help spread the floor for Cunningham and Ice.

However, I am have been lately envisioning Ice being a point forward at the 4 spot next year, Cunningham at the one. Two quality guards. And Yor/Boone anchoring the 5 spot for 40 minutes. I haven't emailed Coach Boynton this revelation yet, but will visit with him this summer.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Ice would get eaten alive at the 4. I know Cade is a guard, but his body type fits the "point forward" position better IMO. Me personally, just go with a traditional lineup with Ice and Cade as your guards and and try to figure it out. Could play Cade at the 3 as a point forward as well.

Sep 23, 2010
Ice would get eaten alive at the 4. I know Cade is a guard, but his body type fits the "point forward" position better IMO. Me personally, just go with a traditional lineup with Ice and Cade as your guards and and try to figure it out. Could play Cade at the 3 as a point forward as well.
Not very many people play two bigs any more. Defensively would be where the problem could sit. But Ice could be like Draymond Green. The PG duties would get exchanged back and forth between Ice and Cade while they are on the floor at the same time. This allows us to get more shooting on the floor with those two guys. Otherwise, we need a stretch 4 grad transfer badly. Maybe Keylan puts on enough weight where he can guard some 4's as well.

Sep 3, 2019
Stillwater, Ok
Not very many people play two bigs any more. Defensively would be where the problem could sit. But Ice could be like Draymond Green. The PG duties would get exchanged back and forth between Ice and Cade while they are on the floor at the same time. This allows us to get more shooting on the floor with those two guys. Otherwise, we need a stretch 4 grad transfer badly. Maybe Keylan puts on enough weight where he can guard some 4's as well.
Kevin Marfo would be a great pickup. He’s a grad transfer from Winnipeg. Averaged 10 points a game and 13 rebounds. We’re recruiting him.

also still hoping we land JT Thor.

Sep 23, 2010
Kevin Marfo would be a great pickup. He’s a grad transfer from Winnipeg. Averaged 10 points a game and 13 rebounds. We’re recruiting him.

also still hoping we land JT Thor.
Marfo's rebounding numbers are incredible. Is he a 4 man? I mean I think the 5 is on lockdown with Boone and Yor.

Thor sounds like a very good fit, but the longer it goes, it feels like our chances wane with him.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
everyone in our league plays a traditional lineup. There’s some small ball, not small enough to where ice could play the 4.. Ice would get destroyed at the 4 in this league. At least draymond is 6’7 230+. Ice is 6’4, doesn’t have nowhere near the weight and strength and IMO would be a terrible idea. Boynton likes length and prefers a traditional lineup so expect Ice as one of your guards. Just like Boynton loves his seniors, he loved Ice too much to sit him. Yor, Kalib Boone, Hidde, pena, or grad transfer are your starting bigs. I don’t see Ice banging with 4’s especially in our league. Keylan would be an ideal stretch 4 because of his length and expected weight gain in the offseason. The signee from Canada could also be a stretch 4.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2010
everyone in our league plays a traditional lineup. There’s some small ball, not small enough to where ice could play the 4.. Ice would get destroyed at the 4 in this league. At least draymond is 6’7 230+. Ice is 6’4, doesn’t have nowhere near the weight and strength and IMO would be a terrible idea. Boynton likes length and prefers a traditional lineup so expect Ice as one of your guards. Just like Boynton loves his seniors, he loved Ice too much to sit him. Yor, Kalib Boone, Hidde, pena, or grad transfer are your starting bigs. I don’t see Ice banging with 4’s especially in our league. Keylan would be an ideal stretch 4 because of his length and expected weight gain in the offseason. The signee from Canada could also be a stretch 4.
Kansas, who went 17-1 in our league, starts 4 guards, 6'5 being the biggest guard out of the group. Texas Tech started 4 guards. Many teams play 4 guards. It's kind of where the entire game is going.

Feb 24, 2020
oklahoma
Kansas and tech played 4 guards not by choice. Texas tech lost a lot from their final 4 run. Kansas losing silvio de Sousa due to off the court issues caused them to go 4 guards. They’re not a traditional 4 guard team. Same with tech. They lacked size compared to last season when they had a couple 6’10 post. Texas, Baylor, WVU, OU, TCU, and Iowa state use traditional lineups. K-state uses some 4 guard lineup But they big as well. Doubt you see either team rock a 4 guard lineup based on how they’re recruiting.

teams play 4 guards for stretches at a time. It’s not for the majority of the game. If you run into a team in which Ice at the 4 is a favorable matchup then I’m for it. But Ice at the 4 as a everyday lineup would be a terrible mistake, and quite honestly lead to losing basketball IMO. Based on how we’re recruiting suggest that’s an unlikely scenario as well. Small ball will definitely be implemented, just not Ice in the post.