Merry Christmas to all OP Members!

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
It goes without saying the focus of Christmas should be Christ and the birth of our Savior who gave us life and the promise of Eternal Life. Second behind that is the American Soldier who has protected and preserved our American way of life.

This captures it all in my opinion....

T'WAS THE NIGHT BEFORE CHRISTMAS,
HE LIVED ALL ALONE,
IN A ONE BEDROOM HOUSE,
MADE OF PLASTER AND STONE.

I HAD COME DOWN THE CHIMNEY,
WITH PRESENTS TO GIVE,
AND TO SEE JUST WHO,
IN THIS HOME, DID LIVE.

I LOOKED ALL ABOUT,
A STRANGE SIGHT I DID SEE,
NO TINSEL, NO PRESENTS,
NOT EVEN A TREE.

NO STOCKING BY MANTLE,
JUST BOOTS FILLED WITH SAND,
ON THE WALL HUNG PICTURES,
OF FAR DISTANT LANDS.

WITH MEDALS AND BADGES,
AWARDS OF ALL KINDS,
A SOBER THOUGHT,
CAME THROUGH MY MIND.

FOR THIS HOUSE WAS DIFFERENT,
IT WAS DARK AND DREARY,
I FOUND THE HOME OF A SOLDIER,
ONCE I COULD SEE CLEARLY.

THE SOLDIER LAY SLEEPING,
SILENT, ALONE,
CURLED UP ON THE FLOOR,
IN THIS ONE BEDROOM HOME.

THE FACE WAS SO GENTLE,
THE ROOM IN DISORDER,
NOT HOW I PICTURED,
A TRUE MODERN SOLDIER.

WAS THIS THE HERO,
OF WHOM I'D JUST READ?
CURLED UP ON A PONCHO,
THE FLOOR FOR A BED?

I REALISED THE FAMILIES,
THAT I SAW THIS NIGHT,
OWED THEIR LIVES TO THESE SOLDIERS,
WHO WERE WILLING TO FIGHT.

SOON ROUND THE WORLD,
THE CHILDREN WOULD PLAY,
AND GROWNUPS WOULD CELEBRATE,
A BRIGHT CHRISTMAS DAY.

THEY ALL ENJOYED FREEDOM,
EACH MONTH OF THE YEAR,
BECAUSE OF THE SOLDIERS,
LIKE THE ONE LYING HERE.

I COULDN'T HELP WONDER,
HOW MANY LAY ALONE,
ON A COLD CHRISTMAS EVE,
IN A LAND FAR FROM HOME.

THE VERY THOUGHT BROUGHT,
A TEAR TO MY EYE,
I DROPPED TO MY KNEES,
AND STARTED TO CRY.

THE SOLDIER AWAKENED,
AND I HEARD A ROUGH VOICE,
"SANTA DON'T CRY,
THIS LIFE IS MY CHOICE;

I FIGHT FOR FREEDOM,
I DON'T ASK FOR MORE,
MY LIFE IS MY GOD,
MY COUNTRY, MY CORPS.."

THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
AND DRIFTED TO SLEEP,
I COULDN'T CONTROL IT,
I CONTINUED TO WEEP.

I KEPT WATCH FOR HOURS,
SO SILENT AND STILL,
AND WE BOTH SHIVERED,
FROM THE COLD NIGHT'S CHILL.

I DID NOT WANT TO LEAVE,
ON THAT COLD, DARK, NIGHT,
THIS GUARDIAN OF HONOR,
SO WILLING TO FIGHT.

THEN THE SOLDIER ROLLED OVER,
WITH A VOICE SOFT AND PURE,
WHISPERED, "CARRY ON SANTA,
IT'S CHRISTMAS DAY, ALL IS SECURE."

ONE LOOK AT MY WATCH,
AND I KNEW HE WAS RIGHT.
"MERRY CHRISTMAS MY FRIEND,
AND TO ALL A GOOD NIGHT."

CowboyJD

The Voice of Reason...occasionally......rarely
A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
And Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish OP members and military members.....

And Happy Holidays to all our non-sectarian, humanist, and atheist OP members and military members.

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
And Happy upcoming Winter Solstice for our Wiccan and/or Pagan OP members and members of the military.

Whatever your faith or lack thereof, go with good tidings!

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
And Happy Hanukkah to our Jewish OP members and military members.....

And Happy Holidays to all our non-sectarian, humanist, and atheist OP members and military members.
You're making yourself look foolish with this response. The lyrics I shared referenced the American Soldier, all American Soldiers of every faith or of no faith. I didn't write those lyrics, I simply liked them and shared them. I wished everyone a Merry Christmas because it is the Christmas Season and because I am a Christian. I didn't say "Merry Christmas to all you Christians but a lump of coal to all you Jewish Members or Atheist Members or Wiccan Members". I simply said "Merry Christmas to ALL OP Members". Check the title of the thread. Leave it to you to read something bad or political into something positive. By the way, have a Merry Christmas!

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
You're making yourself look foolish with this response. The lyrics I shared referenced the American Soldier, all American Soldiers of every faith or of no faith. I didn't write those lyrics, I simply liked them and shared them. I wished everyone a Merry Christmas because it is the Christmas Season and because I am a Christian. I didn't say "Merry Christmas to all you Christians but a lump of coal to all you Jewish Members or Atheist Members or Wiccan Members". I simply said "Merry Christmas to ALL OP Members". Check the title of the thread. Leave it to you to read something bad or political into something positive. By the way, have a Merry Christmas!
Wow, just.....wow.

Leave it to you to read something bad into me wishing Jewish people a Happy Hannukah or non-believers good tidings as well.

My bad....I didn’t realize you intended this to be an exclusively Christian thread of good tidings.

Merry Christmas to you as well.

Last edited:
Jun 20, 2012
Wow, just.....wow.

Leave it to you to read something bad into me wishing Jewish people a Happy Hannukah or non-believers good tidings as well.

My bad....I didn’t realize you intended this to be an exclusively Christian thread of good tidings.

Merry Christmas to you as well.
How did you not see this coming in 2020?

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
How did you not see this coming in 2020?
I guess I just have faith in people.

This REALLY is shocking to me.

I didn’t imply, say, or claim anything like the OP wished a lump of coal to Jews or Wiccans, or Pagans, or Atheists, or anything even remotely in that realm.

There is ABSOLUTELY NO WAR ON CHRISTMAS coming from me.

I just ADDITIONALLY wished people of faith (whatever their faith) or not of faith good tidings and well wishes within their own belief systems......

And apparently someone found that offensive. *shoudershrug.gif*

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
I liked your first post but this post is far too exclusionary. There is nothing wrong with what @CowboyJD posted. He didn’t quote your post. Maybe he was just posting his feelings. Who knows?

MustangPokeFan

Territorial Marshal
Sep 9, 2005
Mustang, Ok
www.newshoesband.net
I liked your first post but this post is far too exclusionary. There is nothing wrong with what @CowboyJD posted. He didn’t quote your post. Maybe he was just posting his feelings. Who knows?
I certainly apologize and retract that statement if that was in fact his sentiment. It seemed to me more of an insinuation that the intent was to exclude people which is false. It felt like the same knee jerk anti-Christian political correctness that causes companies like Walmart to forbid their employees from saying Merry Christmas. Only he knows if he was sincere or interjecting an opinion that my original message was exclusionary. If it was the former then please accept my sincere apologies. One thing is for sure, the original intent of the post which was an honest intention to share a tribute to ALL American Soldiers with a slight to nobody has been lost in the usual politically correct BS like everything else these days.

Binman4OSU

Legendary Cowboy
Aug 31, 2007
Stupid about AGW!!
The Veterans Admin has a list of approved signs that can be put on the Govt provided Grave Marker of a US Soldier. If you are walking around Arlington Cemetery you may see a myriad of different markings on fallen US soldier graves. I found this information fascinating

These markings include Wiccan, Druid, Muslim, Buddhist, Shinto, Hindu, Bahai and many more

https://www.cem.va.gov/cem/hmm/emblems.asp

CowboyJD

A/V Subscriber
Dec 10, 2004
I certainly apologize and retract that statement if that was in fact his sentiment. It seemed to me more of an insinuation that the intent was to exclude people which is false. It felt like the same knee jerk anti-Christian political correctness that causes companies like Walmart to forbid their employees from saying Merry Christmas. Only he knows if he was sincere or interjecting an opinion that my original message was exclusionary. If it was the former then please accept my sincere apologies. One thing is for sure, the original intent of the post which was an honest intention to share a tribute to ALL American Soldiers with a slight to nobody has been lost in the usual politically correct BS like everything else these days.
Either apologize unconditionally for assuming the worse with absolutely no evidence or you can stick your "non-apology, conditional apology".

Words have meaning, and nothing in my posts insinuated anything whatsoever except what was expressly stated. Still sounds like you're objecting to somebody crashing your Christian party post.

GTFO out of here with your "anti-Christian" nonsense.

I'm fricking Catholic, dude.

Who knew Inter-faith Ecumenism would be so damned controversial?