Merriam-Webster changes its definition of 'sexual preference' as Barrett gets called out for using term

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Not even the dictionary is credible any more.

Just a question for the libs on this board what is the new acceptable term to describe someone's sexual orientation? Is orientation the currently accepted term or am I being offensive?

Did any of the left leaning people on this board even know that preference was offensive until the Democrat party told you this week that it is? Because that's not how offense is supposed to work.

And for all you that think Trump is a threat to democracy need to wake up...because THIS is what a threat to democracy looks like. Having government officials with the power to force the freaking dictionary to change definitions in order to control free speech is a bigger threat to the constitution than anything Trump has done.

Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
https://apnews.com/article/9105661462

AP’s style is now to capitalize Black in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense, conveying an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa. The lowercase black is a color, not a person. AP style will continue to lowercase the term white in racial, ethnic and cultural senses.

We also now capitalize Indigenous in reference to original inhabitants of a place.
These decisions align with long-standing capitalization of distinct racial and ethnic identifiers such as Latino, Asian American and Native American. Our discussions on style and language consider many points, including the need to be inclusive and respectful in our storytelling and the evolution of language.

After a review and period of consultation, we found, at this time, less support for capitalizing white. White people generally do not share the same history and culture, or the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color. In addition, AP is a global news organization and there is considerable disagreement, ambiguity and confusion about whom the term includes in much of the world.

We agree that white people’s skin color plays into systemic inequalities and injustices, and we want our journalism to robustly explore those problems. But capitalizing the term white, as is done by white supremacists, risks subtly conveying legitimacy to such beliefs

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
"Do NOT let the radical cultural warriors steal the language of debate."

Is it 1984? as in the book? Sure seems like it.

Midnight Toker

Territorial Marshal
May 28, 2010
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/me...-definition-sexual-preference-barrett-hearing

Anyone feel like we will be living under a state controlled media if the liberal left gains control of the government?
Well, they've controlled the government before in my lifetime and i never had the impression that i was living under state controlled media. They controlled the govt for many years before i was alive too. Does Webster's work for uncle sam?

I think she got called out because the gays keep telling us that their sexual orientation is not a choice, and therefore, not a matter of preference. I myself dont prefer to be straight, I never chose it, I just innately am. There is no other option, period. My gay people tell me they are like that too.

I cant just try gay on like a t shirt, to see if i like it or not, to see which lifestyle i prefer. So, It's probably more appropriate to say sexual orientation as opposed to sexual preference but it doesnt personally bother me unless i want to be semantics nazi. I suppose you could draw the conclusion that one may say sexual preference as a way of sticking it to the queers because they find it as a way of suggesting their sexual orientation is a choice.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
https://apnews.com/article/9105661462

AP’s style is now to capitalize Black in a racial, ethnic or cultural sense, conveying an essential and shared sense of history, identity and community among people who identify as Black, including those in the African diaspora and within Africa. The lowercase black is a color, not a person. AP style will continue to lowercase the term white in racial, ethnic and cultural senses.

We also now capitalize Indigenous in reference to original inhabitants of a place.
These decisions align with long-standing capitalization of distinct racial and ethnic identifiers such as Latino, Asian American and Native American. Our discussions on style and language consider many points, including the need to be inclusive and respectful in our storytelling and the evolution of language.

After a review and period of consultation, we found, at this time, less support for capitalizing white. White people generally do not share the same history and culture, or the experience of being discriminated against because of skin color. In addition, AP is a global news organization and there is considerable disagreement, ambiguity and confusion about whom the term includes in much of the world.

We agree that white people’s skin color plays into systemic inequalities and injustices, and we want our journalism to robustly explore those problems. But capitalizing the term white, as is done by white supremacists, risks subtly conveying legitimacy to such beliefs
I have a dream....ah forget it, the left has killed MLK's dream.

Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Well, they've controlled the government before in my lifetime and i never had the impression that i was living under state controlled media. They controlled the govt for many years before i was alive too. Does Webster's work for uncle sam?

I think she got called out because the gays keep telling us that their sexual orientation is not a choice, and therefore, not a matter of preference. I myself dont prefer to be straight, I never chose it, I just innately am. There is no other option, period. My gay people tell me they are like that too.

I cant just try gay on like a t shirt, to see if i like it or not, to see which lifestyle i prefer. So, It's probably more appropriate to say sexual orientation as opposed to sexual preference but it doesnt personally bother me unless i want to be semantics nazi. I suppose you could draw the conclusion that one may say sexual preference as a way of sticking it to the queers because they find it as a way of suggesting their sexual orientation is a choice.
In my experience, people who think it's a choice aren't subtle about it, they say it plainly. I have never heard anybody say they use the word preference as some indirect way of suggesting it's a choice. Besides, there have been plenty of examples that the term was perfectly acceptable right up until the minute ACB used it.

llcoolw

Territorial Marshal
Feb 7, 2005
Sammamish, Washington.Dallas, Texas.Maui, Hawaii
Racist has been changed too. Used to be a racist thinks one race is superior to others. Now it’s defined as someone who divides people based on race. And it’s been added that it’s mainly a minority problem.

-prejudiced against or antagonistic toward a person or people on the basis of their membership in a particular racial or ethnic group, typically one that is a minority or marginalized.