Men's golf regional

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I mean... we are pretty close with 11 and that streak of theirs pales in comparison to our wrestling streak from 1938-1971... so it's not unparalleled and lives up to Houston's history of embellishment.
nope, not buying any of that..... when you have historic teams in a sport that won every championship for a decade, and 2nd most in the history of the sport... then you have at least a reasonable claim at top billing for that sport.

the "in all of history" was definitely a bit over the top... but actually not by much. Few programs in sports history can match such success.

But I do love me some Cowboy Golf, and hope we can bring home another one this year.

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I can still remember when SI (or was it ESPN) did a story on the greatest college sports dynasties of all time. They put Iowa Wrestling on the list instead of OSU. Can't remember if they had OSU golf or not, but the wrestling snub really ticked me off.

I think some people, even so called experts in college sports, don't understand that Oklahoma a&m and Oklahoma State are one and the same.
Let's go ahead and say it was SI just so I can have 1 more reason to hate them. Barry Sanders had a season that was unparalleled in the history of college football and they managed to make it all season without putting him on the cover. He had to put on a Detroit Lions jersey before they put recognized him with the cover, the whole fictional attack piece and decades of general disrespect, plenty of reasons to dislike SI. We won't even get into the whole burkini swimsuit edition.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
nope, not buying any of that..... when you have historic teams in a sport that won every championship for a decade, and 2nd most in the history of the sport... then you have at least a reasonable claim at top billing for that sport.

the "in all of history" was definitely a bit over the top... but actually not by much. Few programs in sports history can match such success.

But I do love me some Cowboy Golf, and hope we can bring home another one this year.
I'm trying to wrap my head around this... and my gut says to just ignore you... but what exactly do you not buy?

OSU has 5 less titles overall than they do... great chance they reduce that to 4 this year and with Bratton at the helm I would be willing to bet OSU passes them within the next decade... So do you not buy that OSU is close to them?

Houston also hasn't been relevant in golf since 1985. Their best finish since that title was t-10 in 2014. Do you not buy that OSU is on a better trajectory to surpass them as the winningest program in NCAA golf?

Do you disagree that OSU winning 16 national titles in NCAA wrestling in 19 years is somehow "less precedented" than Houston's 13 titles in 15 years? They said that streak was "unprecedented" in college sports... even though there's a better one from Stillwater. There's also Iowa winning 20 championships in 26 years. Penn State's current run has a good chance of overtaking Houston's golf streak. Do you not buy that Houston is embellishing their accomplishment a little bit there?

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
I'm trying to wrap my head around this... and my gut says to just ignore you... but what exactly do you not buy?

OSU has 5 less titles overall than they do... great chance they reduce that to 4 this year and with Bratton at the helm I would be willing to bet OSU passes them within the next decade... So do you not buy that OSU is close to them?

Houston also hasn't been relevant in golf since 1985. Their best finish since that title was t-10 in 2014. Do you not buy that OSU is on a better trajectory to surpass them as the winningest program in NCAA golf?

Do you disagree that OSU winning 16 national titles in NCAA wrestling in 19 years is somehow "less precedented" than Houston's 13 titles in 15 years? They said that streak was "unprecedented" in college sports... even though there's a better one from Stillwater. There's also Iowa winning 20 championships in 26 years. Penn State's current run has a good chance of overtaking Houston's golf streak. Do you not buy that Houston is embellishing their accomplishment a little bit there?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal

the point that was made, was that OSU is the GOAT in golf and it wasn't even close.... just pointing out that not only is it "close", we may not even be the GOAT of golf - although it is obviously debatable.

I'm not buying your woulda, coulda, shoulda argument.... get back to me AFTER we have done what your "trajectory" shows - not before.

I hope we can pull off what you're describing.

Aug 16, 2012
the point that was made, was that OSU is the GOAT in golf and it wasn't even close.... just pointing out that not only is it "close", we may not even be the GOAT of golf - although it is obviously debatable.

I'm not buying your woulda, coulda, shoulda argument.... get back to me AFTER we have done what your "trajectory" shows - not before.

I hope we can pull off what you're describing.
So, Yale and Princeton are the goat in football? They have ten more championships than the next closest. Recent play has to be a factor and just championships cannot be the only criteria.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
So, Yale and Princeton are the goat in football? They have ten more championships than the next closest. Recent play has to be a factor and just championships cannot be the only criteria.
of course... but most of our 65 season golf streak happened long before Houston got hot - so where are you going to draw that line. Which of our years are "Princeton and Yale years"? Prior to 1985?

I simply said that it's debatable. Their days of Fred Couples and Fuzzy Zeller were impressive, no doubt, and it wasn't all that long ago. Their last win might have been 1985, but it's not like they haven't been getting there

NCAA championship appearances since
1986, 1987, 1989, 1992, 1994, 1995, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2014, 2015

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
This is the exact argument CTeam is making when he says our fans dont prop up our own teams and historical success like they should...
bleh..... I don't know any Poke that doesn't prop up our own teams and historical success... any Poke worth their salt knows our history in every sport.... That does not mean we should be ignorant of the achievements of other teams as well, nor make braggadocios statements that aren't quite fact.

Aug 16, 2012
bleh..... I don't know any Poke that doesn't prop up our own teams and historical success... any Poke worth their salt knows our history in every sport.... That does not mean we should be ignorant of the achievements of other teams as well, nor make braggadocios statements that aren't quite fact.
Completely agree. There is a difference between overt support of a program and preening around like an OU rooster.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Well this really took a turn for the worse... anyway Go Pokes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Wow, comments like this but with no context are really kind of annoying. Can anyone enlighten me please?

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Philranger

Territorial Marshal
Oct 6, 2010
Owasso

Wow, comments like this but with no context are really kind of annoying. Can anyone enlighten me please?

The thread took a turn for the worse.

TL;DR some folks think we are the best program in college golf. Others disagree. Tune in next week on as OP Turns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Aug 16, 2012

TL;DR some folks think we are the best program in college golf. Others disagree. Tune in next week on as OP Turns.

I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find any thread that did not have some sort of disagreement. Guess we could all move to Twitter so we are limited to 142 characters and only limited to one post a day?

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
I am pretty sure you would be hard pressed to find any thread that did not have some sort of disagreement. Guess we could all move to Twitter so we are limited to 142 characters and only limited to one post a day?
yep... seems pretty silly for someone to click on a thread and NOT expect to find discussion, and when they do find discussion, then claim that things took a turn for the worse.

weird.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Oh ok.

Dec 20, 2005
I got on this thread to find actual news about our golf team in the playoffs. I have found nothing of merit...

Feb 4, 2016
florida
While our streak at getting ourselves to the play off is impressive, I had a friend from Univ Houston that might disagree with your assessment about "not even close"....

this is from the UH "program"

In 1956 the University of Houston began a dynasty that is unparalleled in all of college sports. Beginning that season, Houston dominated the college golf world, winning 12 of the next 15 NCAA golf championships. The Cougars have won 16 titles in all, and incredibly, finished second four times and third four other times.
Some stats to tell your U of H friend...

"They have incredibly finished second four times".....OSU has finished second 17 times

OSU has 54 top five finishes in the 73 year history of the program

OSU has 129 first-second-third team All Americans....2nd place Houston with 72

They had a nice run but for an overall program I'm sticking with OSU as the GOAT #GOLFSCHOOL