Men's golf regional

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Can someone answer a question for me? I was looking at some of our golf history and want to clarify something.

It said “Oklahoma State competed in an NCAA-record 65 consecutive NCAA Championships from 1947 to 2011”.

Does that mean we qualified for a regional for 65 years in a row? Or does that mean we advanced from our regional 65 years in a row?

Feb 5, 2007
Tulsa, OK
Can someone answer a question for me? I was looking at some of our golf history and want to clarify something.

It said “Oklahoma State competed in an NCAA-record 65 consecutive NCAA Championships from 1947 to 2011”.

Does that mean we qualified for a regional for 65 years in a row? Or does that mean we advanced from our regional 65 years in a row?
I believe it was advancing from the regional. It was a big deal when we didn’t a few years ago.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx

I believe it was advancing from the regional. It was a big deal when we didn’t a few years ago.
I’ve always thought that meant the opposite and that’s a big part of why the coach was fired. Advancing through the regional 65 years in a row is amazing.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar

Advanced

Jostate

CPTNQUIRK called me a greenhorn
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
I’ve always thought that meant the opposite and that’s a big part of why the coach was fired. Advancing through the regional 65 years in a row is amazing.
I don't really even care about golf and I always thought it was the most overlooked amazing streak in college athletics.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
#golfschool.....We are the GOAT of collegiate golf and it's not even close
Kind of cool to be the best ever in any sport, let alone 2. Sometimes I think we are a little too humble about our athletic success. Just because it isn't football, doesn't mean we can't brag about it.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Kind of cool to be the best ever in any sport, let alone 2. Sometimes I think we are a little too humble about our athletic success. Just because it isn't football, doesn't mean we can't brag about it.
I still contend that our fanbase as a whole buys into the "nobody cares about wrestling and golf" comeback that we get beat across our heads every time we highlight our success. Would love to see the athletic department grab that bullcrap by the nutsack and take charge of it.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa
I still contend that our fanbase as a whole buys into the "nobody cares about wrestling and golf" comeback that we get beat across our heads every time we highlight our success. Would love to see the athletic department grab that bullcrap by the nutsack and take charge of it.
I would be interested to hear ideas on how to do this more effectively. Definitely more highlight/promo videos for golf and wrestling. What else? We have over 50 national championships, this should be celebrated more as well. We need a hash tag for every post bringing attention to this. Other schools in the conference will inevitably mock it at first, but it creates an opportunity to publicly push back, that we really do celebrate all sports, not just football.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I would be interested to hear ideas on how to do this more effectively. Definitely more highlight/promo videos for golf and wrestling. What else? We have over 50 national championships, this should be celebrated more as well. We need a hash tag for every post bringing attention to this. Other schools in the conference will inevitably mock it at first, but it creates an opportunity to publicly push back, that we really do celebrate all sports, not just football.
I think that a full on "you only don't care because you can't compete" campaign would be awesome.

"52 and counting... because we care"

I think the "dynasty defined" campaign the wrestling program did a few years ago was good.

Make it known that we only hang up national championship banners. They talk about that being a point of pressure at UCLA or the Detroit Red Wings. We should embrace the same mantra of "Regional titles aren't good enough here" or something like that.

Just beat it over their heads. We are in the top 5 of total NCAA championships. Period. We are in an elite class, and the only program in our conference still needs 6 championships to catch us.

CaliforniaCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 15, 2003
So Cal
#golfschool.....We are the GOAT of collegiate golf and it's not even close
While our streak at getting ourselves to the play off is impressive, I had a friend from Univ Houston that might disagree with your assessment about "not even close"....

this is from the UH "program"

In 1956 the University of Houston began a dynasty that is unparalleled in all of college sports. Beginning that season, Houston dominated the college golf world, winning 12 of the next 15 NCAA golf championships. The Cougars have won 16 titles in all, and incredibly, finished second four times and third four other times.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
While our streak at getting ourselves to the play off is impressive, I had a friend from Univ Houston that might disagree with your assessment about "not even close"....

In 1956 the University of Houston began a dynasty that is unparalleled in all of college sports. Beginning that season, Houston dominated the college golf world, winning 12 of the next 15 NCAA golf championships. The Cougars have won 16 titles in all, and incredibly, finished second four times and third four other times.
I mean... we are pretty close with 11 and that streak of theirs pales in comparison to our wrestling streak from 1938-1971... so it's not unparalleled and lives up to Houston's history of embellishment.

pokefan05

Knickas on Backward
A/V Subscriber
Dec 6, 2006
Tulsa

They also haven't won since 1985 and don't appear to be contending any time soon. 'Incredibly finished second four times'.... we have finished 2nd 11 times. We'll pass them eventually in titles.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
I can still remember when SI (or was it ESPN) did a story on the greatest college sports dynasties of all time. They put Iowa Wrestling on the list instead of OSU. Can't remember if they had OSU golf or not, but the wrestling snub really ticked me off.

I think some people, even so called experts in college sports, don't understand that Oklahoma a&m and Oklahoma State are one and the same.

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
I can still remember when SI (or was it ESPN) did a story on the greatest college sports dynasties of all time. They put Iowa Wrestling on the list instead of OSU. Can't remember if they had OSU golf or not, but the wrestling snub really ticked me off.

I think some people, even so called experts in college sports, don't understand that Oklahoma a&m and Oklahoma State are one and the same.
I don't think OSU markets it well enough, so on a national level people default to Iowa and now Penn State as the top wrestling schools.