Men's golf regional

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

PanhandleCowboy

Point Guard
A/V Subscriber
Jun 22, 2006
Not Close Enough to Stillwater
Cowboys are a couple back as they finish round 1. OSU could have a pretty good lead, but Wolff went form -4 thru 9 to +2 thur 15. He had 3 double bogeys in a 5 hole stretch. It looks like OSU won't even count Wolff's score in round 1.

Aug 16, 2012
So the top 2 move on to Nationals ?
Top 5 from each regional go to the 72-hole stroke play portion of the championship. This part of the championship also decides the individual champion. From the stroke play, the top 8 are selected, re-seeded and play a match-play bracket.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Top 5 from each regional go to the 72-hole stroke play portion of the championship. This part of the championship also decides the individual champion. From the stroke play, the top 8 are selected, re-seeded and play a match-play bracket.[/QUOTE]

What's this? Is that a format change that went into effect this year? Previous years the individual champion was decided in the stroke play portion of nationals.

Aug 16, 2012
That is what I said, the 72-hole stroke play portion of the championship that results in 8 final teams also decides the individual champion.

Regionals
v
v
Top 5 teams from Regionals (30 total) advance to 72-hole stroke play championship (plus top individual from each Regional that is not on one of the teams advancing).
v
v
54-hole stroke play across three days.
v
v
Field cut to top 15 teams and top 9 individuals (again from any team that is outside the top 15 so it is possible to be top individual on Day 3 and get completely bumped on Day 4 if there are 10 golfers from the teams missing the cut that have a lower score).
v
v
Day 4, 18 more holes of stroke play (cumulative with the prior three days) whereas the top 8 teams by gross score move on to match play, other 7 teams go home.
AND
Individual champion is determined by the same 72-hole stroke play event. All individual play is concluded.
v
v
Top 8 teams are re-seeded as necessary and put into a standard 1-vs-8, 2-vs-7, 3-vs-6, 4-vs-5, single elimination bracket.
v
v
First two rounds (quarters and semi's) of bracket play are held on the first day of match play with the championship match on the second day.
v
v
Oklahoma State hoists another trophy.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Auburn is 6 strokes ahead of us, but we've caught Baylor and are in 2nd now. Looking very solid to at least advance. Kind of hope we don't catch Auburn. Might be the kick in the ass the guys need to throw it into high gear when it matters next week.

Oct 2, 2018
Stillwater
Auburn is 6 strokes ahead of us, but we've caught Baylor and are in 2nd now. Looking very solid to at least advance. Kind of hope we don't catch Auburn. Might be the kick in the ass the guys need to throw it into high gear when it matters next week.
Auburn's #1 is having an absolute come apart.. Cards a -4 yesterday and is +8 today with 3 to play. We cant expect him to do that again at the NCAA Championships, we will have to find a way to score. I agree we may need that swift kick.

Aug 16, 2012
I don't like that Baylor will follow us into the clubhouse with the potential for a couple late birdies to leap frog us again..
Does not matter, except for bar room bragging rights at this point. Just have to be top-5. There is no benefit in being first or fifth at this stage since next week all the teams start from scratch with no seeding.....just do not want to flirt with 6th. I like the comment above about making them hungry if they do not actually win the regional.

Aug 16, 2012
If Hov can birdie at least 2 of his last 3 he will set himself up for a decent shot to be low man
I do not think there is an actual award for low individual in regional play. Might get a plaque or at least bragging rights, but not like a tournament or championship medalist.....at least I do not think.

Oct 22, 2008
Austin, Tx
Does not matter, except for bar room bragging rights at this point. Just have to be top-5. There is no benefit in being first or fifth at this stage since next week all the teams start from scratch with no seeding.....just do not want to flirt with 6th. I like the comment above about making them hungry if they do not actually win the regional.
Losing to Baylor in anything ever is sickening, even if it doesn't really matter. At least we're 6 up on them now.

Aug 16, 2012
Losing to Baylor in anything ever is sickening, even if it doesn't really matter. At least we're 6 up on them now.
see, even if they finish the regional ahead of us, I do not even consider that losing to them. The only goal is to get the championship and the rest is semantics at this point.