Melo headed to Thunder

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

teibbor

Staff
A/V Subscriber
Jul 29, 2004
https://twitter.com/basketballtalk/status/889517698824028160

#cantplayKanter

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
I like it? Maybe? I don't know. Before the PG move this would have been a no-brainer, but now I dont know.

Westbrook-PG-Melo-Patrick Petterson-Adams as a starting lineup?

Nov 27, 2007
I like it? Maybe? I don't know. Before the PG move this would have been a no-brainer, but now I dont know.
Yeah, I'm pretty much there with you. Not sure what I would think. For it to work, these things would need to happen:

1) Melo would have to be cool playing PF.
- To be fair, 31% of his minutes last year were played at PF, but would he be fine with that number climbing to 80-100%?

2) Melo would need to be cool being the 3rd scoring option.
- In Houston, he'd still be the #2 option.
- Paul George moves better without the ball, making him a more natural #2 scoring option with Westbrook. Melo is still predominantly an iso scorer. For him to be effective with the Thunder's personnel he'd need to change into more of a spot-up shooter (which he actually has shown to be a pretty good spot-up shooter)

3) Who would the Thunder have to trade?
- List of current roster guys I'm fine in giving up to see if the Melo thing could work:
- Enes Kanter (though if Enes can prove he can hit 3s or even consistent 18 footers to draw the defense out of the lane, plus re-develop that whole passing out of double teams thing he had going before the arm injury, I'd keep Kanter).
- Semaj Chrston
- Kyle Singler
- Terrence Ferguson
- Yeah, that's about it. I really wouldn't to lose Enes Kanter + any other guy on the roster aside from the above.

I don't really see those things happening, and they aren't even my only concerns, just what it would take to make it work after the deal was even made.

My actual Melo concerns
1) Attitude seems poor.
2) He's getting older and his performance is on the decline.
3) Unlike PG13, who I think the Thunder have a shot at resigning, I see zero chance in resigning Melo.
4) Would he even waive his no-trade clause to come to the Thunder, a small market team, where he'd be the 3rd option, play out of position, bang with some bigs at his advanced age, change the way he likes to play, etc...? Seems improbable.

But, he is still a talented player & it would keep his talent out of the hands of other Western Conference foes...

But, since this is in the media, I'm hoping this is a Presti smoke-screen for what he's really working on.

Nov 27, 2007
Westbrook-PG-Melo-Patrick Petterson-Adams as a starting lineup?
Playing PG13 at SG? I really don't think he'd be nearly as effective. I think one would have to make Carmelo the starting PF with Patterson going to his more accustomed off the bench role.

Or would Patterson even still be on the team at that point as we may need to trade him to the Knicks to get Anthony in the first place.

El Gato Bandito

that log had a child
Jan 5, 2009
Playing PG13 at SG? I really don't think he'd be nearly as effective. I think one would have to make Carmelo the starting PF with Patterson going to his more accustomed off the bench role.

Or would Patterson even still be on the team at that point as we may need to trade him to the Knicks to get Anthony in the first place.
Yeah I wasn't really placing him at the SG position as much as just trying to think which 5 guys you would want on the court. Kind of similar to GSW. They play their best 5, and don't really worry about traditional starting positions or roles. I think the insane offense you role out there with those 3 means you almost have to start Patterson and Adams for rebounding and interior defense. That leaves Felton, Roberson, Abrines, McDermott and Grant as your bench (though I assume at least 1 or 2 of those would potentially go to NYK in the trade).

Nov 27, 2007
Yeah I wasn't really placing him at the SG position as much as just trying to think which 5 guys you would want on the court. Kind of similar to GSW. They play their best 5, and don't really worry about traditional starting positions or roles. I think the insane offense you role out there with those 3 means you almost have to start Patterson and Adams for rebounding and interior defense. That leaves Felton, Roberson, Abrines, McDermott and Grant as your bench (though I assume at least 1 or 2 of those would potentially go to NYK in the trade).
Fair enough. I suppose it would depend on the situation & flow of the game. Are we up or down? Are we killing it with D & transition O, or is the other team having a hard time stopping a ton of offensive weapons on the floor at once in the Thunder's half-court? Is the opponent having a particular trouble, either offensively or defensively, against a certain guy or couple of guys.

Basically, I' can't imagine a lineup where the Thunder wouldn't want Westbrook & George on the court, but I can see scenarios where Carmelo wouldn't be one of the best 5 out there in certain situations.

Last edited:
Dec 19, 2012
Yeah, I think most trades you hear about are leaked for a reason and well after the actual trade talk has happened or passed. If you hear something about a trade, and it doesn't happen from official sources within a day, it doesn't usually happen. The trades that surprise everyone and are already done are the ones to watch for.

I don't think Melo fits well either. My biggest concern is who he would guard. He would be a hellova iso scorer to play big minutes with unit 2 though.

Dec 19, 2012
I'm surprised, but mainly because Houston/Cleveland didn't get something done before now. He's a bargain for Kanter/McDermott. You can ply Dre big minutes with how they can score.

GodsPeace

Joshua 1:9
Aug 20, 2004
Stillwater
Like the trade. I'd expect Roberson to do his quasi PF impression on offense.

Dwayne Wade is now being actively recruited by Melo and OH!

NBA cannot get here quick enough

Dec 19, 2012
I'm thirsty for some D-Wade. You'd have to think he'd fit great. We could limit his and Melo's minutes to have them healthy for the playoffs. You could have four all-stars and a borderline all-star in Adams closing games out! It would be a terrific solution with the hack-a-dre strategy teams use.

Nov 27, 2007
Carmelo makes every team that he has been on worse. High hopes when Denver drafted him, but he brings attitude and zero defense. A really poor trade.
That seems to be the narrative from the NY sports media, but it's just not factually true:

1. Nuggets hadn't been to the playoffs for 8 years until Carmelo arrived & went every year he was there, including one trip to the WCF.

2. NY Knicks had not been to the playoffs for 6 years until Carmelo arrived & immediately went to the playoffs 3 straight years.

3. he won a NC at Syracuse.

4. he's won 3 gold medals in the olympics at a time the other international teams continue to get better.

Seems the Knicks situation the last 4 years had far more to do with non-Carmelo factors than him not being a winner.

He actually has a long track record of winning and playing very well with other star players. That doesn't guarantee this will work, but it's a positive sign.