Media company hypocrisy

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Mar 11, 2006
Disney just inked a deal with Colin Kaepernick for a doucmentary about him. The same company that fired Roseanne and canceled Tim Allen’s show. Also, the same company that still employs Jimmy Kimmel.

Jostate

Bluecolla's sock
A/V Subscriber
Jun 24, 2005
Disney just inked a deal with Colin Kaepernick for a doucmentary about him. The same company that fired Roseanne and canceled Tim Allen’s show. Also, the same company that still employs Jimmy Kimmel.
He's the new Rosa Parks. Facts be damned.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I've been boycotting Disney for a while now, I highly recommend it.

Here is what Disney owns:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_The_Walt_Disney_Company

And that is during the middle of all this. Sports come back and no Disney means you better hope all of our games are on Fox because ABC and ESPN are out.

Movies come back and that means no new Marvel, Star Wars, or Pixar for the kids.

We aren't even touching their dozens of holdings your 401K index account may or may not be invested in.

If you are going to boycott Disney, good luck with that. But they don't care because 99.9% of us aren't going to follow you.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK

Here is what Disney owns:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_assets_owned_by_The_Walt_Disney_Company

And that is during the middle of all this. Sports come back and no Disney means you better hope all of our games are on Fox because ABC and ESPN are out.

Movies come back and that means no new Marvel, Star Wars, or Pixar for the kids.

We aren't even touching their dozens of holdings your 401K index account may or may not be invested in.

If you are going to boycott Disney, good luck with that. But they don't care because 99.9% of us aren't going to follow you.
I know of a bunch of people anecdotally that have cut the cord and don’t have ESPN because of their political slant and from what I’ve been told ESPNs numbers have shown that in recent years. I remember hearing that ESPN dumped a bunch of their toxic personalities like KO and Jemele Hill because their ratings were dying due to the politics. I think that lasted until the George Floyd stuff and now they went all in on Covid and George Floyd and the ratings for their studio shows tanked again. Episode 8 was pretty preachy and woke and Disney again had to walk that back in Ep 9. I’m not saying Disney is going out of business but when you say 99.9% of people aren’t turned off by the politics or that Disney doesn’t care I don’t think the numbers nor the recent history backs that up. Disney clearly wants to go way, way left and are already pretty far out on that branch but when they touch a nerve enough they walk it back for the sake of money.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I know of a bunch of people anecdotally that have cut the cord and don’t have ESPN because of their political slant and from what I’ve been told ESPNs numbers have shown that in recent years. I remember hearing that ESPN dumped a bunch of their toxic personalities like KO and Jemele Hill because their ratings were dying due to the politics. I think that lasted until the George Floyd stuff and now they went all in on Covid and George Floyd and the ratings for their studio shows tanked again. Episode 8 was pretty preachy and woke and Disney again had to walk that back in Ep 9. I’m not saying Disney is going out of business but when you say 99.9% of people aren’t turned off by the politics or that Disney doesn’t care I don’t think the numbers nor the recent history backs that up. Disney clearly wants to go way, way left and are already pretty far out on that branch but when they touch a nerve enough they walk it back for the sake of money.
ESPN is a small part of Disney's portfolio. Also people talk about their politics but when push comes to shove either they are watching their favorite sport or they are idiots who think their political viewpoints actually mean more than their opinion.

Yeah, alot of people have cut the cord but for the vast majority saving $100 bucks a month is the reason and not because their feelings got hurt when someone on tv said something they don't want to hear.

Jun 20, 2012
That's called
Capitalism. Enjoy it when it suits ya, but revolt when it doesn't.

CocoCincinnati

Federal Marshal
Feb 7, 2007
Tulsa, OK
its gonna be hard to watch sports without abc or espn. You can get around disney world lol
Oh, I'm fully aware of the magnitude of Disney and what all they own. I realize they will still get some of my money and even the money they don't get from me is a mere pittance to them. That's not a reason to just give in and NOT try to vote with my wallet is it?

I fully admit that I will watch college football on ESPN/ABC. Luckily, I'm at OSU home games and it seems like fox picks up more of our games than the other 2. So yeah you got me in that one, I'm a college football junkie and Disney is one of my dealers.

I haven't seen the last two star wars movies, nor have I seen the mandalorian. That last one hurts because I hear it's good, but I'm not going to sign up for Disney streaming to see it. I also haven't seen 2 of the last 3 marvel movies.

So I try to do the best I can because it's my only recourse, but I'm far from perfect. If enough people make themselves known, then Disney will take notice.... it seems to have helped getting Johnson's proposed SW trilogy cancelled so that's something.

Duke Silver

Find safe haven in a warm bathtub full of my jazz.
A/V Subscriber
Sep 17, 2004
Cozy's Bar
The only part of jimmy kimmell that bothers me is why him?? He was the unfunny sidekick. Adam carolla was the funny one and the smart one. What gives?

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
ESPN is a small part of Disney's portfolio. Also people talk about their politics but when push comes to shove either they are watching their favorite sport or they are idiots who think their political viewpoints actually mean more than their opinion.

Yeah, alot of people have cut the cord but for the vast majority saving $100 bucks a month is the reason and not because their feelings got hurt when someone on tv said something they don't want to hear.
I don’t see why people getting turned off by the politicizing of sports makes them idiots. Why does that bother you?

And in addition to ESPN taking a hit in Disney’s portfolio, what about SW? Disney politicizing that brand has really hurt the returns on that gigantic investment. I guess I fail to understand why making political statements is more important than providing good entertainment and making money.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I don’t see why people getting turned off by the politicizing of sports makes them idiots. Why does that bother you?

And in addition to ESPN taking a hit in Disney’s portfolio, what about SW? Disney politicizing that brand has really hurt the returns on that gigantic investment. I guess I fail to understand why making political statements is more important than providing good entertainment and making money.

You can either enjoy life or let everything offend you.

I've never understood why people look for hidden agendas in movies. Either you enjoy the movie or you don't, but if you cant seperate real life from something that's meant to be a 2+ hr escape from reality you really need to re-think your priorities.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
You can either enjoy life or let everything offend you.

I've never understood why people look for hidden agendas in movies. Either you enjoy the movie or you don't, but if you cant seperate real life from something that's meant to be a 2+ hr escape from reality you really need to re-think your priorities.
I think you are missing the point even though it’s right in front of you. People want movies and sports to be an escape from reality like you said, and probably the thing they want to escape most is the toxic politics of this country. By choosing not to watch those forms of entertainment they are doing exactly what you say they should be doing, enjoying their lives through other means of entertainment. It has nothing to do with being offended.

cowboyinexile

Have some class
A/V Subscriber
Jun 29, 2004
Fairmont, MN
I think you are missing the point even though it’s right in front of you. People want movies and sports to be an escape from reality like you said, and probably the thing they want to escape most is the toxic politics of this country. By choosing not to watch those forms of entertainment they are doing exactly what you say they should be doing, enjoying their lives through other means of entertainment. It has nothing to do with being offended.
A poster said earlier they wanted to watch a show on Disney but won't because of their perceived politics. And that's a show that as far as I know, doesn't have a political message.

Think about it. Your kids want to go to Disneyland after the pandemic is over. But you won't take them because Disney offends you for whatever reason. What's more fun, having an enjoyable vacation or staying at home because you can't get off your moral high horse?

Certain things I get. If it's a targeted political movie that isn't to your liking yeah you're right. Going in you know its going to piss you off so there is no point in wasting your money on it. For 90% of entertainment though, either it's something so minor that it shouldn't take away from your experience or if you just sit back and try to enjoy the show you won't notice. And that cuts both ways-people have been pissed about everything from Avatar to American Sniper because of perceived political bias. Life's a lot more fun when you don't try and stay oblivious and just enjoy the show.

May 31, 2007
Edmond, OK
A poster said earlier they wanted to watch a show on Disney but won't because of their perceived politics. And that's a show that as far as I know, doesn't have a political message.

Think about it. Your kids want to go to Disneyland after the pandemic is over. But you won't take them because Disney offends you for whatever reason. What's more fun, having an enjoyable vacation or staying at home because you can't get off your moral high horse?

Certain things I get. If it's a targeted political movie that isn't to your liking yeah you're right. Going in you know its going to piss you off so there is no point in wasting your money on it. For 90% of entertainment though, either it's something so minor that it shouldn't take away from your experience or if you just sit back and try to enjoy the show you won't notice. And that cuts both ways-people have been pissed about everything from Avatar to American Sniper because of perceived political bias. Life's a lot more fun when you don't try and stay oblivious and just enjoy the show.
I’m not a parent but I guess it doesn’t bother me if somebody is a parent and Disney’s values don’t align with their values, and therefore they don’t want to expose their kids to it. I guess I see it as a personal choice and not one that when made means somebody isn’t enjoying their life. You say people should view 90% of entertainment a certain way and from my perspective I can’t really say how each individual should view each form of entertainment. It’s not one size fits all in my view.

My main point was to respond to whoever said 99.9% of people don’t care about Disney or their properties’ slant on politics. I was simply pointing out that there is data that shows it’s more than 0.1% who care. How much more exactly is not possible for me to say.