MBB Schedule 2018-2019

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
OSU should send a message to the NCAA and cancel all of our games against potential 200+ RPI teams for next year. Then state our victories over KU (twice including @KU), OU (twice), @WV, Tech, Texas, FSU (in Florida) and how our victories against the top 10 and top 25 rank compared to all D-1 schools. In addition, note that 1 of the KU and OU wins occurred within the last week. OSU also recommends that other teams do the same or fall victim to the statistically flawed RPI system.

Nov 18, 2011
Or they should just get some sharp shooter and tell him we are going to let you put up 50 shots a game and put up gaudy numbers so ESPN will hype you and we'll get in the tournament.

Jul 7, 2010
Tampa, FL
Or they should just get some sharp shooter and tell him we are going to let you put up 50 shots a game and put up gaudy numbers so ESPN will hype you and we'll get in the tournament.
It really is as simple as this. ESPN is its own worst enemy at times. They even admitted it yesterday when Seth Greenberg said "we are as guilty as anyone for overhyping Trae Young and ultimately the committee did not want to leave a star like this out".

I remember when we beat them in Stillwater. The next day I was scrolling through my instagram and ESPN's SportsCenter account had SIX posts about Trae Young during that game and ZERO posts about us actually winning it.

Jun 23, 2005
As Seth Greenberg pointed out yesterday, Big 12 teams play an 18 game round robin schedule, plus an SEC Challenge game, plus 2-4 games in non conference tournaments like Maui or Bahamas. Throw in regional games like Tulsa, Oral Roberts and maybe a Wichita State and you have a tough schedule. That is probably what we are looking at as a base schedule for next year.

What hurt OSU this year was that Pitt, ORU, UNC Charlotte and Pepperdine had meltdown seasons. Houston Baptist and Miss. Valley State were rummies, but everybody plays teams like that.

JimmytheGreek

Banned
Banned
Sep 20, 2017
Texas
This is bad news for the UTRGVs and TAMU-CCs of the world. Less programs are going to pay them for "guaranteed wins" anymore. Could really hurt their athletic departments.
Side note.....I’m going to go watch the Rio Grande Vipersand Markell Brown here in Corpus Thursday.
A&M CC really does rely on those games

Feb 6, 2007
Portland, OR
As Seth Greenberg pointed out yesterday, Big 12 teams play an 18 game round robin schedule, plus an SEC Challenge game, plus 2-4 games in non conference tournaments like Maui or Bahamas. Throw in regional games like Tulsa, Oral Roberts and maybe a Wichita State and you have a tough schedule. That is probably what we are looking at as a base schedule for next year.

What hurt OSU this year was that Pitt, ORU, UNC Charlotte and Pepperdine had meltdown seasons. Houston Baptist and Miss. Valley State were rummies, but everybody plays teams like that.
That preseason event will be the Advocare Invitational at ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex in Florida. The field:
Unannounced MAAC school
College of Charleston
Florida State
LSU
Memphis
Oklahoma State
UAB
Villanova

Potential for some tasty games there.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
That preseason event will be the Advocare Invitational at ESPN's Wide World of Sports complex in Florida. The field:
Unannounced MAAC school
College of Charleston
Florida State
LSU
Memphis
Oklahoma State
UAB
Villanova

Potential for some tasty games there.
Hmmm.

First Round
Villanova and Florida State will probably get the MAAC team and College of Charleston.
We get Memphis or UAB. Won't be LSU because of BIG12-SEC Challenge.

At least that is my prediction.

Jun 23, 2005
Hmmm.

First Round
Villanova and Florida State will probably get the MAAC team and College of Charleston.
We get Memphis or UAB. Won't be LSU because of BIG12-SEC Challenge.

At least that is my prediction.
Yes, but the point is that nobody can say you are scheduling soft when you enter a tournament like that.

Jan 13, 2008
Corinth, TX
Yes, but the point is that nobody can say you are scheduling soft when you enter a tournament like that.
I didn't say we are scheduling soft. I was just trying to predict who we play in the first round.

I think it is ludicrous to think that beating the #175 team is a much bigger victory than beating #275. They both should be wins, but the #275 team kills your perception (RPI).

I think an announcement about not providing those teams with games and money, sends a message to the committee and NCAA that they would not like. Those teams would storm their doors and RPI calculation would be changed or removed from consideration.

This year, a tournament is how we ended up playing Pitt, so we were blamed for playing Pitt and it was mentioned by the talking heads. No one mentioned that we played a tough #16 A&M team first, while we were still figuring out our team in November before Thanksgiving.

Next year, hopefully we get a first round victory and avoid the MAAC team or College of Charleston.