MBB: OSU at KSU 8 p.m. tonight

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jun 23, 2005
If we stay on this trajectory I’m thinking 4, possibly 5 more wins? NCAA hopes are gone, but for the young guys an NIT invite would provide some good experience.

Rack

Legendary Cowboy
Oct 13, 2004
Earth
Did exactly what we should do last night...beat a bad team on the road. Played within our system and didn't jack up TO MANY horrible 3s...although we jacked up 2 air balls in the game at least. Shot selection has been a MAJOR issue with this team, I was glad to see coach bench D after his horrible one in the first half...maybe that will ring true to players not willing to set correctly prior to shooting.

Good win...any win in this conference is...follow it up young men!

Jul 9, 2016
Stillwater, OK
If we stay on this trajectory I’m thinking 4, possibly 5 more wins? NCAA hopes are gone, but for the young guys an NIT invite would provide some good experience.
NCAA is not gone. Still have an impressive Non-con schedule. Same thing happened to us in 2016-2017 season, we started 0-6 in conference and then went on a 10 out 12 game stretch. Got a Big 12 tournament win and made the NCAA.

Same thing can happen to this season. 7 games left. So far we are 2 out 3 games. If we beat TTU, WVU and KU, there’s no doubt that we’ll be in, along with beating OU, KSU, ISU, UT of course.

Jan 21, 2006
Boulder
NCAA is not gone. Still have an impressive Non-con schedule. Same thing happened to us in 2016-2017 season, we started 0-6 in conference and then went on a 10 out 12 game stretch. Got a Big 12 tournament win and made the NCAA.

Same thing can happen to this season. 7 games left. So far we are 2 out 3 games. If we beat TTU, WVU and KU, there’s no doubt that we’ll be in, along with beating OU, KSU, ISU, UT of course.
PLAYOFFS! Your're talking PLAYOFFS!!

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats on the win! Recap from the Associated Press...

MANHATTAN, Kan. — Yor Anei scored 15 and had seven rebounds, Lindy Waters III added 12 points and Oklahoma State beat Kansas State 64-59 on Tuesday night.

Jonathan Laurent had 11 points and Cameron McGriff provided 10 and the Cowboys (12-12, 2-9 Big 12) picked up their first win against Kansas State since 2017 and now sit in a tie for ninth place in the conference with the Wildcats.

Mike McGuirl led the Wildcats (9-15, 2-9) with a season-high 16 points. Cartier Diarra added 15 points and Makol Mawien had 11 as Kansas State lost its fourth straight game.

Oklahoma State hit just two 3-pointers, but shot 18-of-27 from the free-throw line. The Wildcats made seven 3’s and were 12-of-22 shooting from the line.

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011
Did exactly what we should do last night...beat a bad team on the road. Played within our system and didn't jack up TO MANY horrible 3s...although we jacked up 2 air balls in the game at least. Shot selection has been a MAJOR issue with this team, I was glad to see coach bench D after his horrible one in the first half...maybe that will ring true to players not willing to set correctly prior to shooting.

Good win...any win in this conference is...follow it up young men!
Yeah it's good to know that we have a bench that can be counted on to come in when he needs to pull a player it's about time.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sep 23, 2010
A few observations from last night.

Yor played well, and Kalib Boone was good in his minutes. We dominated at the 5 spot. Waters struggled again but finally hit a big 3 when it mattered. Ice keeps getting better but he still needs to be able to shoot it. McGriff was solid. Laurent was solid despite looking shaky down the stretch. Mitchell does not need to be out there. He is a major liability. Anderson did well during his time out there. I don't know if he didn't have another contact packed (trainer's fault) or what but Mitchell killed us in the segment he came back in for him in the second half. All road wins are good and we controlled most of the second half. Harris being hurt actually seems to have defined some roles better. Still not in love with Diazagwa. We rarely can play man to man with him on the court.

I'm not sure why we aren't running even more spread (pinwheel). It's what has created movement again for our offense in the half court. Our sets are pretty brutal right now. We are at our best when we just run spread offense. It's been brought back more the last few games and it has helped things. Lindy, McGriff and Yor are clearly more comfortable in that offense. Hopefully we keep using more and more of it.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
A few observations from last night.

Yor played well, and Kalib Boone was good in his minutes. We dominated at the 5 spot. Waters struggled again but finally hit a big 3 when it mattered. Ice keeps getting better but he still needs to be able to shoot it. McGriff was solid. Laurent was solid despite looking shaky down the stretch. Mitchell does not need to be out there. He is a major liability. Anderson did well during his time out there. I don't know if he didn't have another contact packed (trainer's fault) or what but Mitchell killed us in the segment he came back in for him in the second half. All road wins are good and we controlled most of the second half. Harris being hurt actually seems to have defined some roles better. Still not in love with Diazagwa. We rarely can play man to man with him on the court.

I'm not sure why we aren't running even more spread (pinwheel). It's what has created movement again for our offense in the half court. Our sets are pretty brutal right now. We are at our best when we just run spread offense. It's been brought back more the last few games and it has helped things. Lindy, McGriff and Yor are clearly more comfortable in that offense. Hopefully we keep using more and more of it.
A good summary. When Dizzy and Waters are both in the game we simply can not play man to man. The only thing keeping them in the game was the occasional three shot over our zone. He took Dizzy out went man to man and then we extended the lead.

Offense looks so much better when we at least attempt to attack the paint either pass to a post player or a drive, but its easier to do against KSU than Kansas. Neither Laurent nor McGriff attempted a 3, seems they have abandoned that idea and have been producing better.

Obviously this year has sucked, but I'm excited about our freshmen (they are looking better and better) and the continued development of Ice and Yor

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
A good summary. When Dizzy and Waters are both in the game we simply can not play man to man. The only thing keeping them in the game was the occasional three shot over our zone. He took Dizzy out went man to man and then we extended the lead.

Offense looks so much better when we at least attempt to attack the paint either pass to a post player or a drive, but its easier to do against KSU than Kansas. Neither Laurent nor McGriff attempted a 3, seems they have abandoned that idea and have been producing better.

Obviously this year has sucked, but I'm excited about our freshmen (they are looking better and better) and the continued development of Ice and Yor
Laurent actually looks really savvy in the paint. He plays more like a post player than almost anyone on our team.

Feb 25, 2018
North Texas

Gotta hand it to you NinjaPoke you’re the most positive guy on this site!

Jul 9, 2016
Stillwater, OK
Gotta hand it to you NinjaPoke you’re the most positive guy on this site!
Thank you, I certainly do try. I learned to never count out the Cowboys. My freshmen year of college here, I was in the marching band in 2014. Yep, I was there for every single game that year including the 6 point lost to #1 FSU and of course Bedlam.
I’ll never forget when Stoops re-punt the ball to Tyreek hill. No joke, Gaylord stadium was nearly empty and I just remember hearing all the UO fans talking mess to the band and then BAM Tyreek returns the ball for a punt 6.

38-35. That’s when I ultimately decided to never count out the Cowboys. Also, if you watch 2017-2018 MBB #4 OU game in GIA that was crazy as well. You know what here’s a video for those who missed it. Guess who the coach was? :D:D

Last edited:
Jun 23, 2005

I love your optimism! I agree, if we win our last 7 games we will be in the NCAA. I'm all in!!

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Any road win is a good win, we'll take it. Time to go see what the boys on Oak Island are up to.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Lol, I am doing the exact same thing...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
See if they find any bobbydazzlers tonight

?? What show is this you speak of?

Curse of Oak Island. History Channel.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
If my math is right, we hit 13 of 15 shots from the floor in the second half.
I think I heard Dave on the broadcast say we only took 8 three's, and that it was a season low.

HCMB stated in the post game radio interview the decrease in threes was by design due to the low 3 point shooting percentage on the year by the team. He stated he thought the team would be better at shooting the three but stats don’t lie so the game plan was to go inside.

I was very surprised but happy to hear this. It seems like the coaches are finally getting the players to play to the adjustments.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:

trippin629

Territorial Marshal
Aug 26, 2009
Tulsa
Late adjustment is better than no adjustment I suppose

He's gotta learn to recognize this stuff much, much quicker. It's taken him 10+ games to adjust. He needs to be able to adjust mid-game in the first game, not after 8-10 games.
Agreed. I suppose this counts as a piece of offensive scheming, which has been my biggest bugaboo with Boynton. Our half court O still looks like a random amorphous blob most of the time. Hopefully this adjustment is the first sign of growth in that area.