MBB: Oklahoma State vs. #2 Baylor Bears (ESPN2 11AM GIA)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
Hold up a minute. Are you acting like the posters on the AV are of a higher quality over there? You guys have a thread over that is titled F*** Gundy. So GTHO with that. You guys are no different than the people who post here. Difference is you chipped in a couple of dollars.
The best thing about the AV is you can say F*** Grundy without the ***

Nov 14, 2010
So they gave effort yesterday and nearly beat the top team in the country, but it's not good enough. Got it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
We gave up 48 points in the 2nd half, shot 2/10 from 3 point range and were outscored by 16, all in the process of qualifying for last place at 0-5 in the league

Our Freshman scored 0 ponts, so other than Ice, nothing that happened yesterday set a building block for the future either.

We now have lost 3 conference home games and our most winnable road game.

So....no....
That's not good enough

This isn't Parks and Recreation where participation trophies are handed out

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
That was a hell of an effort and the Pokes could have easily won that game. Eddie's teams lost plenty of close games to really good teams and nobody blamed coaching. I don't think our guys could have played harder than they did or been any more well prepared (coaching). This team smoked KU in Lawrence by 12 and KU was never in the game. They know they were lucky to get out of GIA with a win. If Yor clears the ball and doesn't throw that stupid ill-advised pass I think we'd had a great chance to hit the 3 to tie it up with 14 seconds left. That was a back breaking decision by Yor. We got more than a few bad calls or no calls as well but every game has them. If the Boys play like they did today the rest of the season they will win some games. A night and day different effort and level of play than what we saw the first four Big 12 games. Five different defensive sets in the first half had Baylor confused. It's why we had the lead and it's good coaching. Boynton and the Pokes darn near beat the #2 (#1 on Monday) team in the country today. You could just see how Baylor was wearing us down the last 10 minutes. Their bench is significantly deeper and ore experienced. Anyone who criticizes our team or our coaches for today's game is just showing their outright ignorance.
There’s a difference in losing a close game when you consistently play well vs losing a close game after getting handled for over a month, being 0-5 in league and having made the tournament once in the last how many years? With Eddie we knew coaching wasn’t an issue because issues got addressed. For the better part of a decade we have seen the same mistakes over and over with no correction, no matter who the coach was. How many years do we have to see the same guys get abused on the defensive end in the hopes they might make a shot before we realize that isn’t going to work. They played better but this isn’t a program changing or even season changing performance. We’re 2-8 in the last 10 games. So we hung with Baylor, big deal we lost. The season is basically a lost cause at this point. Because the same issues we have we will continue to have. Streaky shooting at best and those same streaky shooters being liabilities on defense that continue to get significant minutes. Were they prepared today, sure. But what about the month where we got our teeth kicked in every game? They would have to go 9-4 to have any hope to make the tournament and that’s not happening. It’s time to look to the future play the young guys. We might take some lumps but at this point it’s worth it because this season is lost. And we’ve taken plenty of lumps already with the older guys out there. At this point it’s crazy not to play them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
See, here it comes. They don't deserve to have a close win and feel good about it because they haven't played will before this? It makes no sense. You allow no opportunity for them to play well. Might as well lose every game by 30 from here on out to make you feel better about? Or shouldn't they get credit for playing well no matter when it comes?
You're like a parent that can never be satisfied. Unless the effort results in a win I guess it's not good enough.

I’m a parent that expects effort more than once every 6 or 7 games. And I don’t think that’s a lot to ask
You’re definitely the parent that makes their kid want to crawl in a hole and hate playing sports, that’s for sure!
If that’s what expecting effort means then so be it. I like how were comparing my feelings about division 1 basketball to how I would feel about little kid basketball.

I guess we’re treating our program now like a bunch of 10 year olds. Being happy we almost won a game and played hard.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008
That was a hell of an effort and the Pokes could have easily won that game. Eddie's teams lost plenty of close games to really good teams and nobody blamed coaching. I don't think our guys could have played harder than they did or been any more well prepared (coaching). This team smoked KU in Lawrence by 12 and KU was never in the game. They know they were lucky to get out of GIA with a win. If Yor clears the ball and doesn't throw that stupid ill-advised pass I think we'd had a great chance to hit the 3 to tie it up with 14 seconds left. That was a back breaking decision by Yor. We got more than a few bad calls or no calls as well but every game has them. If the Boys play like they did today the rest of the season they will win some games. A night and day different effort and level of play than what we saw the first four Big 12 games. Five different defensive sets in the first half had Baylor confused. It's why we had the lead and it's good coaching. Boynton and the Pokes darn near beat the #2 (#1 on Monday) team in the country today. You could just see how Baylor was wearing us down the last 10 minutes. Their bench is significantly deeper and ore experienced. Anyone who criticizes our team or our coaches for today's game is just showing their outright ignorance.
There’s a difference in losing a close game when you consistently play well vs losing a close game after getting handled for over a month, being 0-5 in league and having made the tournament once in the last how many years? With Eddie we knew coaching wasn’t an issue because issues got addressed. For the better part of a decade we have seen the same mistakes over and over with no correction, no matter who the coach was. How many years do we have to see the same guys get abused on the defensive end in the hopes they might make a shot before we realize that isn’t going to work. They played better but this isn’t a program changing or even season changing performance. We’re 2-8 in the last 10 games. So we hung with Baylor, big deal we lost. The season is basically a lost cause at this point. Because the same issues we have we will continue to have. Streaky shooting at best and those same streaky shooters being liabilities on defense that continue to get significant minutes. Were they prepared today, sure. But what about the month where we got our teeth kicked in every game? They would have to go 9-4 to have any hope to make the tournament and that’s not happening. It’s time to look to the future play the young guys. We might take some lumps but at this point it’s worth it because this season is lost. And we’ve taken plenty of lumps already with the older guys out there. At this point it’s crazy not to play them.

See, here it comes. They don't deserve to have a close win and feel good about it because they haven't played will before this? It makes no sense. You allow no opportunity for them to play well. Might as well lose every game by 30 from here on out to make you feel better about? Or shouldn't they get credit for playing well no matter when it comes?
You're like a parent that can never be satisfied. Unless the effort results in a win I guess it's not good enough.

They are 2-8 in the last 10. Why would anyone feel good about losing. Doesn’t matter if it’s 30 or 7. Why would anyone feel good about blowing a double digit lead. They play halfway decent one time in a month so we should just jump for joy. 21-28 5-18 in league and complete implosion after November the last 2 years makes me feel great. But they played hard today so let’s get the kids some ice cream so they feel good about it. At what point should I expect us to actually start winning games? With 5 returning starters I thought we might be past the point of “oh well they played good so that’s good enough.” I guess not.

I’m a parent that expects effort more than once every 6 or 7 games. And I don’t think that’s a lot to ask.

So they gave effort yesterday and nearly beat the top team in the country, but it's not good enough. Got it.

I mean if you’re ok with 9-8 and 0-5 and last place. Or if you’re more about moral victories than real ones then I guess it’s good enough. But for me it’s not.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
Hold up a minute. Are you acting like the posters on the AV are of a higher quality over there? You guys have a thread over that is titled F*** Gundy. So GTHO with that. You guys are no different than the people who post here. Difference is you chipped in a couple of dollars.
The emboldened part is what I am saying. Don’t categorize the A.V. members as a group that blasts only after the fact. Each poster is an individual and should be treated as such.

edmondcowboy

Federal Marshal
Sep 24, 2008

We gave up 48 points in the 2nd half, shot 2/10 from 3 point range and were outscored by 16, all in the process of qualifying for last place at 0-5 in the league

Our Freshman scored 0 ponts, so other than Ice, nothing that happened yesterday set a building block for the future either.

We now have lost 3 conference home games and our most winnable road game.

So....no....
That's not good enough

This isn't Parks and Recreation where participation trophies are handed out
Exactly. We aren’t doing anything for our future while still losing games. If you’re gonna lose at least make it productive. We might win 4 or 5 more games playing the seniors so there’s really no point. He needs to get the young guys in there so at this point next year we aren’t still trying to get them accustomed to what big 12 play is like.

Nov 14, 2010
You’re definitely the parent that makes their kid want to crawl in a hole and hate playing sports, that’s for sure!
I know your comments were pointed towards edmondcowboy, but, if someone is going to do something competitively, and ask others to give their time and money to help them reach their goals, then effort is something that should be expected, not celebrated.

If they want to crawl in a hole because they are expected to give effort, then they need to be taught a different approach.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010

Again...I know your comments were pounted towards edmondcowboy as well, but....

Absolutely never satisfied, especially in loss.

I think you'll find 100% of Division I coaches share that scentiment

That doesn't mean you can't be simultaneoulsy proud of an amount of effort that was given though and believe that the type of effort that was given will eventually lead to satisfacrory results..

And....that also doesn't mean that losing should give you satisfaction either because losing should never be the goal.

It should motivate to work harder, become more focused, become smarter etc....not to simply become satified because you tried

The goal/job of a coach/parent is to make their kids believe that they are capable of more than they thought they were, not to simply be satisfied because they tried.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

They are 2-8 in the last 10. Why would anyone feel good about losing. Doesn’t matter if it’s 30 or 7. Why would anyone feel good about blowing a double digit lead. They play halfway decent one time in a month so we should just jump for joy. 21-28 5-18 in league and complete implosion after November the last 2 years makes me feel great. But they played hard today so let’s get the kids some ice cream so they feel good about it. At what point should I expect us to actually start winning games? With 5 returning starters I thought we might be past the point of “oh well they played good so that’s good enough.” I guess not.

I’m a parent that expects effort more than once every 6 or 7 games. And I don’t think that’s a lot to ask.

I mean if you’re ok with 9-8 and 0-5 and last place. Or if you’re more about moral victories than real ones then I guess it’s good enough. But for me it’s not.

I'm all about the KIDS showed they can play hard against a great team. That is something for them to be proud of and use for motivation going forward. And if you think that Boynton should chew them up one side and down the other for that then I believe you are wrong.

Last edited:

wrenhal

Territorial Marshal
Aug 11, 2011

Again...I know your comments were pounted towards edmondcowboy as well, but....

Absolutely never satisfied, especially in loss.

I think you'll find 100% of Division I coaches share that scentiment

That doesn't mean you can't be simultaneoulsy proud of an amount of effort that was given though and believe that the type of effort that was given will eventually lead to satisfacrory results..

And....that also doesn't mean that losing should give you satisfaction either because losing should never be the goal.

It should motivate to work harder, become more focused, become smarter etc....not to simply become satified because you tried

The goal/job of a coach/parent is to make their kids believe that they are capable of more than they thought they were, not to simply be satisfied because they tried.
These people are not proud of the effort. They honestly are just pissed about the loss and that's it. Improvement apparently means nothing to them.

Nov 14, 2010
These people are not proud of the effort. They honestly are just pissed about the loss and that's it. Improvement apparently means nothing to them.

I think people are pissed that they haven't seen that same kind of effort every game

Because....if they had ...we probably beat TCU. Texas, and quite possibly West Virginia, Wichita State, Minnesota, Georgetown etc...and we're not in this mess

And...what I think they're also saying is that, because of several poor efforts in the past, it is more than likely too late to flip the switch for this season.

So, in that case, get the Freshman ready, which is something we did NOT do yesterday.

So....while we did show better energy, we still lost, which further sinks this season, but, at the same time, we also didn't build for the future either

So....for many, was a lose/lose scenario, even though we looked better in the 1st half.

Personally....
I'd give it through the OU game.

If were still 0fer the conference coming out of that game then I turn the season over to the future.

Last edited:

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked

Personally, I enjoyed watching our guys play with a lot of energy, but.....it was at home against the #2 ranked team, so of course there should be a lot of energy. What about all the games in which we played flat the whole game?

My biggest complaint / criticism is that we keep going back to the seniors, and they just aren't getting it done. We're now 0-5. Whatever you're doing as a coach isn't working. Try something different.

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
I guess we’re treating our program now like a bunch of 10 year olds. Being happy we almost won a game and played hard.

The fact that this thread has devolved into calling out parenting skills/approach to D1 basketball (and responses in kind) is gross.

Mods shut it down. Nothing positive can come from this thread. It’s run it course.

Last edited: