MBB: Oklahoma State Cowboys @ TCU Horned Frogs (ESPN2 @1PM)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

NinjaPoke

Wrangler
A/V Subscriber
Jul 9, 2016
Lawton, OK
Cowboys (0-2 in Big 12, 9-5 overall) face the Horned Frogs (2-0 Big 12, 11-3 overall) in Fort Worth tomorrow afternoon. Pokes are having quite the rough patch over the last two games having lost by a combined scored of 49 points. TCU on the other hand have won two squeakers against our fellow land grant schools: a 7-7 Kansas State and a 7-6 Iowa State. TCU won by two points in both of those games.
TCU and OSU have met 24 times with OSU having the edge 17wins and 7 loses. Despite this, the horned frogs have won 4 of the last 5 meetings.

Coach Mike believes that we have the right guys to get it done and I am there with him. Go pokes beat TCU!

https://twitter.com/osumbb/status/1215815591858098176?s=21

https://twitter.com/osumbb/status/1214720878023282688?s=21

Nov 14, 2010
Apparently, not making shots is a pretty common theme for teams under Boynton as head coach at OSU.

We are dead last in the Big 12 in overall field goal pecentage and 3 point field goal percentage this year.

Last year we were 9th in field goal percentage and were 8th in assists.

2 years ago, in Boynton's 1st year, again, we were dead last in field goal percentage, and despite taking the 3rd most 3 point shots, were just 8th in 3 point field goal percentage.

Also, in that year, we were once again at near the bottom of the league in assist to turnover ratio at 9th.

So....at this point, the focus can't be that we just simply missed shots on any given night, because "missing shots" has become the trend for Boynton's teams.

The question has to be, "why are we missing so many shots"?

Well....this year we are dead last in assists and assist to turnover margin in the league.

In Boynton's first year we were 9th in assist to turnover ratio, and last year we were 6th in the league.

I'm not a basketball x's and o's guy, but something seems to need to be changed in this system.

I'd be curious to read responses from basketball x and o people as to what those changes need to be.

I'm still very high on Boynton, but it appears that he needs to adjust his offensive system.

Nov 14, 2010
Boynton also has to stop the revolving door

Here are the players that have left the program under his watch

Curtis Jones
Michael Weathers
Mike Cunningham
Kentrevious Jones
Maurice Calloo
Zac Dawson
Marcus Watson
Duncan DeMuth
Brandon Averette
Lucas N'Guessan

In that list are 3-4 star players, the MAC Freshman of the year who was the nations 9th leading scorer as a Freshman, and 3-3-star players that were all 6'8" or above, and a 3 star point guard thst led our team in assists.

Losing this kind of talent makes it really hard to rebuild and have any kind of depth in your program.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Our shooting percentage is bad because our offense goes east and west not north and south. Look at the players we have and out offense is easy to defend. Ice can’t/wont shoot from outside, Lindy too slow to drive, Thomas never goes below three point line. Cam would rather shoot from outside and is frankly not very good at it. The few good things I’ve seen is Yor developing a mid range jump shot, but gets pulled when it doesn’t go in, and Anderson who is looking less lost with each game. Our team has become easy to defend, we rarely get wide open shots, because we don’t/can’t attach the basket.
Also we will never have a stable program with all these players getting kicked off b/c of conduct. There will always be transfers and such but with coach B has to get a handle on the off court conduct. I don’t know what the answer is, but for the programs sake he better get it under control.

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Curtis Jones
Michael Weathers
Mike Cunningham
Kentrevious Jones
Maurice Calloo
Zac Dawson
Marcus Watson
Duncan DeMuth
Brandon Averette
Lucas N'Guessan
I agree with what you are saying, but K. Jones, DeMuth, Averette, NGuessan were never going to see the floor it was the right thing for them to transfer out. The others we needed to comptete.

Nov 14, 2010
We could have used Avetette in the last 2 years, and Kentravious Jones waa very young and very talented.

All he needed was for the lightbulb to go off and he would/could have been the big body low post presence we need.

Demuth was ranked the #33 player in Florida and had scholarship offers from Florida State, Iowa State, and South Carolina.

I agree that Demuth wasn't very good last year, but Roessink and Boone haven't been very good either.

Roessink is averaging 10 minutes a game in, and averaging just 1 point per game and has yet to score in conference. He also averages just 1 point per game overall and just 1 7 rebounds.

Boone is also averaging 10 minutes a game and averaging just 3 points a game and just 2 rebounds.

Although I agree that I never could figure out why Demuth was recruited that highly based on the way he played at OSU, if you think Demuth and Jones needed to transfer, then you must think the same of Roessink and close to thinking the same about Boone.

Averette played in 36 games in the 2017-18 season.

He led us in total assists (104) and assists per game (2.9).

Asiists is an area we struggle with.

Averette also averaged 19.9 minutes, 6.3 points, 2.9 assists, 1.8 rebounds, and 0.6 steals per game during that season.

So.....he got to play quite a bit as a young player, and point guard has been an issue from a depth perspective both last year and this year.

He also scored 20 or more points twice and put up 10 or more points in nine games, so he could assist, and he had the ability to score as well.

He also scored a career-high 22 points against Kansas State thst yeat, and KState was an elite 8 team

In that game he shot 8-of-11 shots from the field.

We could have greatly used Averette.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
Your absolutely correct in saying we could have used Averette. I guess what I’m saying on him is at the time he transferred it made sense for him b/c he was going to be behind Ice and weathers. He was falling down the depth chart, so he transferred then all heck broke loose.
Your right depth has been an issue at point....but it wouldn’t have been had we not had so much player turnover.
K. Jones was big but SLOW., he may have worked out but I’m not sure... Losing Calloo really hurt
I don’t think Hidde is playing where he likes to play forcing him down low (by necessity) could be hurting his game.
I don’t think Boone get enough PT.
Either way coach has got to get a handle on the player turnover.

Oct 30, 2007
Apparently, not making shots is a pretty common theme for teams under Boynton as head coach at OSU.

We are dead last in the Big 12 in overall field goal pecentage and 3 point field goal percentage this year.

2 years ago, in Boynton's 1st year, again, we were dead last in field goal percentage, and despite taking the 3rd most 3 point shots, were just 8th in 3 point field goal percentage.

Also, in that year, we were once again at near the bottom of the league in assist to turnover ratio at 9th.

So....at this point, the focus can't be that we just simply missed shots on any given night, because "missing shots" has become the trend for Boynton's teams.

Well....this year we are dead last in assists and assist to turnover margin in the league.

In Boynton's first year we were 9th in assist to turnover ratio, and last year we were 6th in the league.

I'm not a basketball x's and o's guy, but something seems to need to be changed in this system.

I'd be curious to read responses from basketball x and o people as to what those changes need to be.

I'm still very high on Boynton, but it appears that he needs to adjust his offensive system.
The system is to dribble and never pass and that will never work unless you have the best nba ball handlers on every team. Extremely simple to fix, pass the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mar 27, 2008
Not necessarily a "must win" for us, but pretty darn close to it for moral reasons among other things. I don't think this team will beat the 1-4 top Big12 teams (KU, WVU, Baylor, Tech). That means we have to take care of business against the lower 5 Big12 teams if we want to make the tournament.

This is one of my favorite times of the year for sports. We have great basketball on today #4 Baylor vs. #3 Kansas at noon. We play TCU at 1pm. More NFL playoff games tonight and Sunday. NCAA football championship Monday. Snow outside. Go Cowboys!

Last edited:
Feb 18, 2009
The system is to dribble and never pass and that will never work unless you have the best nba ball handlers on every team. Extremely simple to fix, pass the ball.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Agree and would add, this team needs to get up and down. If we're in a half court game, we're toast. He's got the depth and athleticism to do it. He doesn't have the players to win grinders. Hell we can't even keep a grinder close at this point.

Feb 18, 2009
It’s amazing how much my interest in b-ball has dissipated in the last 20-some years.
Have to admit I am 45 minutes from TCU, didn't really want to drive over today. I also have an OSU freshman still at home for the holiday, he didn't want to go either and that was the determining factor. Just not what it used to be.

He's coming back down for the weekend baseball games in Frisco but didn't want to drive across town for bball and I can't really blame him. Sad state right now.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2010
[I said:
https://twitter.com/osumbb/status/1214720878023282688?s=21
[/I]
You tell them to stop jacking lazy threes and start running an offense.
You tell them they are ranked 320th (out of 350) in 3 point %, so maybe you need a different offensive game plan.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok

We don’t make teams defend screens very much, they don’t have to decide if they want to switch or just hedge and recover. Defenses don’t have to *think* at all, just say in front of our mostly slow players and let us shoot contested shots. To me, we have to get the ball to Yor and then relocate or cut, and Yor has to see if he can score or hit an open player.

HCMB said this week in practice they focused on running a lot more and increasing the tempo, which I think is much needed.

Sep 24, 2011
We hired a coach with no head coaching experience to coach against Self, Beard, Krueger, and Huggie. Not sure why folks are surprised at the results. Holder hired Boynton to save money. And if he ever becomes a good head coach, don’t expect him to stay around long.