MBB: Cowboys WIN 83-66 Against the Oklahoma Sooners. HCMB 4-6 last 6 games. Next up #1 KU on Monday

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.

SanditeCowboy

Territorial Marshal
Jan 11, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
That is true in a lot of cases. But in college basketball, working the officials is a skill. He doesn't need to lose his mind, but he needs to put up a protest.
And Lon gave a master class in this yesterday. Down by double digits, 2of his 3 best not hitting in a completely juiced atmosphere he worked the refs every dead ball. Every time they passed his box. He didn’t yell. He didn’t stomp but you could see him in their ear. Then he put Reaves in control & had him attack the basket. He made the officials blow the whistle. And we did the exact opposite. Instead of attacking we started shooting jump shots and for once this season they went down. Take away dizzies prayer and put Cam & Laurent in their normal %s and that thing goes the other way. Manek picked up his 4th and we never went back at him in the paint. It was clear as day he couldn’t guard Cam, Yor or Kalib.
Having a difficult time enjoying this W?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jun 25, 2011
Good things ahead for Cowboy Basketball. Even after Cade goes to the league, it’s exciting to think about what the Boones will be along with all the other talent we have.
I think at some point the Boone’s will have at least one game where between the two of them they have 40 points and 15 boards. I know it sounds crazy, but I think it is a real possibility.

Tulley

Wrangler
Feb 27, 2018
IA
I think at some point the Boone’s will have at least one game where between the two of them they have 40 points and 15 boards. I know it sounds crazy, but I think it is a real possibility.
For sure. Watching the game Saturday it’s clear to see that Kalib can be very very good after he bulks a little bit. Don’t get me wrong, when Dizzy is on he’s lights out but we haven’t had a consistent perimeter game since Forte and Carroll. Walker and Keylan could change that. I think Keylan will be lethal from 3 in a couple years.

Chairman of the Board

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Mar 17, 2006
Edmond, Ok
And Lon gave a master class in this yesterday. Down by double digits, 2of his 3 best not hitting in a completely juiced atmosphere he worked the refs every dead ball. Every time they passed his box. He didn’t yell. He didn’t stomp but you could see him in their ear. Then he put Reaves in control & had him attack the basket. He made the officials blow the whistle. And we did the exact opposite. Instead of attacking we started shooting jump shots and for once this season they went down. Take away dizzies prayer and put Cam & Laurent in their normal %s and that thing goes the other way. Manek picked up his 4th and we never went back at him in the paint. It was clear as day he couldn’t guard Cam, Yor or Kalib.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Lon is the nicest guy ever, but he knows the lay of the land. You have to be in their ear....not always negative. But you have to be active with them. Ref are people. They don't want to admit it, but they can be influenced....and there's not a sport where they have more of an impact on the game than basketball. Mike can improve in this area.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
That's exactly what I'm talking about. Lon is the nicest guy ever, but he knows the lay of the land. You have to be in their ear....not always negative. But you have to be active with them. Ref are people. They don't want to admit it, but they can be influenced....and there's not a sport where they have more of an impact on the game than basketball. Mike can improve in this area.
100% agree. You see all the successful coaches in our league in the refs ears - Kruger, Self, Drew - always working the refs. Mr B needs to wake up

Fly

Greenhorn
Jan 10, 2020
Edmond
It’s called coaching and something MB is still trying to figure out. it only took 20 games for MB to figure out that his team shoots 3’s at at 28.% clip and needed to shoot less 3’s and drive more.

Cro

we need some celery and a can of fake snow
A/V Subscriber
Apr 6, 2010
Edmond
wow, you're just a ray of sunshine aren't ya?...............:facepalm:

Sep 23, 2018
Stillwater
If you don't think MB was working the refs you either weren't at the game, you weren't paying attention or they didn't show it on TV, because he was definitely in their ear most of the game. I sit right across from the bench you CAN NOT tell me otherwise. Furthermore MB is obviously a new coach and it may be some time before he will have as much sway on what is called as some of the older more established coaches, that's just the way it works. We beat OU by 20 and the internet has found yet another reason to complain.

Jul 12, 2004
Stillwater, OK
Were they? In the 2nd half, we had 5 guys on the court busting their asses and being extremely aggressive. They had one. To me it just seemed like Reeves was the only one really working for ou. The other 4 guys on the court were invisible. I’ll take a few extra whistles when the end result is we demoralize them and make them quit.
Likekele driving the basket getting an offensive foul & Reeves did not. Neither was particularly pushing off....although Likekele was thumped twice before he pulled up and "supposedly" pushed off". Watch just about any highlight of Cam at the basket and see how many blows he absorbs....without the "and one" called. They may not have been aggressive offensively, but they were defensively and that should have resulted in us having more free throws.....but it didn't.

Feb 27, 2018
Tulsa
www.tulsaworld.com
Congrats on the Bedlam win. Here's game photos and more coverage from Saturday.

Also, in Guerin Emig's latest Big 12 rankings, he speculates about the postseason possibilities for OSU...

It would be a just reward for a team that could have quit with an 0-8 Big 12 Conference record but did not. The Cowboys were a mess on the court at OU Feb. 1, the day they sank to 0-8, but they were engaged and spirited on the bench. Credit the players for that. Credit their coach.

Mike Boynton (pictured) has had a difficult year. After such a promising November and December, he struggled with both who and how to play as his team collapsed in January.

He stood his ground, though, and seems to have figured some things out. That’s a coach’s job, of course, as he would tell you himself. But it isn’t a given that it happens.

OSU making the NIT would be a sign that it happened.
PS: Sunday's sports cover:
okst.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 9, 2013
If you don't think MB was working the refs you either weren't at the game, you weren't paying attention or they didn't show it on TV, because he was definitely in their ear most of the game. I sit right across from the bench you CAN NOT tell me otherwise. Furthermore MB is obviously a new coach and it may be some time before he will have as much sway on what is called as some of the older more established coaches, that's just the way it works. We beat OU by 20 and the internet has found yet another reason to complain.
I was at the game & enjoy every win we get. The point is that there is a difference between working the refs like Lon, screaming like Huggins or Knight & reacting like Boynton does. Hopefully he will grow into something like Lon. I think part of where he is is that he tries to live up to what he preaches to the players & not overreact to things you cannot control. So when calls start to go against us he seems trapped & then reacts.
What I was saying is that Lon is proactive in how he manages the refs. He knew jump shots from Manek & Doolittle weren’t falling or going to win the game. He started conversations w each ref that would give him an ear. Then Reaves started driving the ball & they damn near crawled back in the game. That is good coaching. If I remember they were down 6 w the ball. For once our 3s went down in the 2nd half. But we should have been attacking the rim from the block with Cam & Kalib. Boynton saw this in the 1st 1/2 (good coaching) and that’s how we got back in it. We did it to start the 2nd (good coaching) and extended lead to 14.
When the game could have tightened the refs were blowing whistles on just about every dribble drive (both offense & defense). We started yanking 3s. 5 off the top of my head. When we should have been dumping the ball to Cam & Kalib. Thank goodness they went down.
Coach is making good adjustments. Always room to improve.

OSU79

Federal Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Oct 22, 2009
Back home in God's (Green) Country
Lon gave a master class? If you mean by keeping it under 20, then I agree. And take away all those things you said and guess what: it still ain't going the other way. You wanted them try and foul Manek out in the second half? He couldn't guard Cam, he couldn't guard Yor, and he damn sure couldn't guard Boone. And he scored 2 points. Hell, I was afraid he WOULD foul out. If I was Boynton I would have lobbied for Manek being allowed to play with 8 fouls, considering half of them would have led to 'and 1' free throws.

Dec 9, 2013
Lon gave a master class? If you mean by keeping it under 20, then I agree. And take away all those things you said and guess what: it still ain't going the other way. You wanted them try and foul Manek out in the second half? He couldn't guard Cam, he couldn't guard Yor, and he damn sure couldn't guard Boone. And he scored 2 points. Hell, I was afraid he WOULD foul out. If I was Boynton I would have lobbied for Manek being allowed to play with 8 fouls, considering half of them would have led to 'and 1' free throws.
uo cut a double digit lead to 6 & had the ball to make it a 1 possession game. What happens to a player when they are playing in a tight whistled game w 4 fouls? Do you think they keep hacking away or do they play soft trying to stay in the game? There’s more than 1 reason to go at a player in foul trouble.