MBB class moves up to #6

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Sep 23, 2010
Walker looks like perfect fit for the 2 spot. He's going to need some time to adjust like most freshman do, but he can slash and pop it from deep. He and Cade already have a ton of chemistry. I agree that they have to find minutes for Ice because he and Cade will both be the leaders on this team. Hard to imagine Walker not getting a real shot to prove himself though. He will get minutes.
I really haven't gotten to see him play much besides highlights and they shoot 100% in those. He looks a little thin for Big 12 play right now, but we have seen guys pack on 15lbs from the senior year of high school to freshman year. But I guess he's played really well down the stretch.

What do you guys think with Ice at the 4 some in point forward small ball role? Can Ice or Cade guard power forwards in the Big12? If so, they become a match up nightmare for the other teams on the offensive end.

Aug 7, 2006
Agreed, and it doesn't necessarily need to be 3's. A nice mid-range jump shot will do a lot for his game. He's already got a nice little floater in the lane, I don't think it is too much to expect he could incorporate that 12-15 foot jumper.

And speaking of offensive games, Yor needs to keep being aggressive in the post. When he decides he's going to do it, he has really nice post moves. That up and under in the k-state game was nice, he just doesn't look for it enough IMO.
Having capable shooters would also help Yor out tremendously. The lane is clogged and he has no room to operate. If you can clear that out some, a Yor/Cunningham pick and roll would be lethal... assuming there's also someone on the outside to knock down open 3s.

Jun 14, 2011
I don't know if the line moving back had the effect or not. Lindy had something in his head. He wasn't near as good from the FT line either this year. And then he would just get the ball taken away from him at critical times in games this year. Just was never right it seemed.
I have been saying since the middle of LAST season, Lindy needed to work on his handle more than anything else over the upcoming summer. In addition to the shooting issues you guys have noted, he clearly regressed massively in the ball handling category.

Jun 9, 2008
The Water
I have been saying since the middle of LAST season, Lindy needed to work on his handle more than anything else over the upcoming summer. In addition to the shooting issues you guys have noted, he clearly regressed massively in the ball handling category.
He seemed slower than the previous years as well. I remember Underwood would always praise his footwork as a freshmen. Maybe bulking up didn’t help with his frame.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
3-pt line movement has had an effect on some shooters this year, but overall it hasn't been as big of a drop as expected. Going forward, as teams practice with the new line for another year, the percentages will go back up.

Lindy 69/154 44.8% now 36/113 31.9%
Dizzy 105/247 42.5% now 63/157 40.1%

I think something is up with Lindy this year, his whole game just took a step backwards.
I don't know if the line moving back had the effect or not. Lindy had something in his head. He wasn't near as good from the FT line either this year. And then he would just get the ball taken away from him at critical times in games this year. Just was never right it seemed.
I think Boynton is a good coach but the main thing that has had me questioning him the last couple of years is having Lindy be the #2 or #3 PG. He gets the ball stripped from him a couple of times per game and uses his body to block defenders from the ball. It drives me crazy! They get up on him so tight because his is slow when trying to drive to the basket. I think defenses figured that out in the offseason and that is why his percentages were down this year. Also shoulder and face injuries probably contributed to his shooting struggles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO
Harris' stroke at times look good but inconsistent as a freshman.
I think Harris is a poor shooter. He hits a couple in a row when he got hot this year which was maybe 3 times all year. Otherwise he was missing BADLY. Most misses from 3 that I can remember in a long time. He’s on the floor for his defense and I was really hoping he’d start driving the ball and stop jacking 3s this year.

He made 12 threes this year and missed 47! 20% shooter. He took the 4th most 3s on the team this year behind Lindy, Dizzy, and McGriff. He’ll be the leading returning player in most attempted 3s next year and is current tied with Keylan Boone for most makes. That is sad, NEED shooters next year. Hopefully Walker and Moncrief can do that.

Keylan shot 34% from 3 this year and plays good defense. I can’t figure out why he doesn’t play more.

Jul 16, 2005
Edmond
3-pt line movement has had an effect on some shooters this year, but overall it hasn't been as big of a drop as expected. Going forward, as teams practice with the new line for another year, the percentages will go back up.

Lindy 69/154 44.8% now 36/113 31.9%
Dizzy 105/247 42.5% now 63/157 40.1%

I think something is up with Lindy this year, his whole game just took a step backwards.
People have mentioned the muscle gain of 20+ lbs throwing off his mechanics. He does not look confident or the same mechanics
He seemed slower than the previous years as well. I remember Underwood would always praise his footwork as a freshmen. Maybe bulking up didn’t help with his frame.
I noticed a reply from Lindy’s dad on Twitter that mentioned Lindy had double plantar fasciitis at one point this year. It seemed to coincide with Ice being out.

That may have had an impact on Lindy’s game this season and may explain him going cold during the middle of the year.

His response was to a tweet about where this team would be had Ice not gotten mono. He also mentioned Dizzy and Cam not being 100% at some point during the year.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina
I think Harris is a poor shooter. He hits a couple in a row when he got hot this year which was maybe 3 times all year. Otherwise he was missing BADLY. Most misses from 3 that I can remember in a long time. He’s on the floor for his defense and I was really hoping he’d start driving the ball and stop jacking 3s this year.

He made 12 threes this year and missed 47! 20% shooter. He took the 4th most 3s on the team this year behind Lindy, Dizzy, and McGriff. He’ll be the leading returning player in most attempted 3s next year and is current tied with Keylan Boone for most makes. That is sad, NEED shooters next year. Hopefully Walker and Moncrief can do that.

Keylan shot 34% from 3 this year and plays good defense. I can’t figure out why he doesn’t play more.

Honest question, do you think Harris will improve his shooting next year? Based on his good shooting mechanics, history as a high school shooter against elite competition, and less freshman jitters I think it’s reasonable to assume he’ll improve next year. Let’s say he can improve it by say 7%? Maybe even improve by 10%. If he can even improve his shooting slightly, Harris will be a really good player for us next year.

Aug 7, 2006
Honest question, do you think Harris will improve his shooting next year? Based on his good shooting mechanics, history as a high school shooter against elite competition, and less freshman jitters I think it’s reasonable to assume he’ll improve next year. Let’s say he can improve it by say 7%? Maybe even improve by 10%. If he can even improve his shooting slightly, Harris will be a really good player for us next year.
I do. He has a nice looking shot, so it's doesn't really need to be fixed. He should have a bunch of wide open looks next year with Cade and Ice getting to the rim and kicking out.

Sep 23, 2010
I do. He has a nice looking shot, so it's doesn't really need to be fixed. He should have a bunch of wide open looks next year with Cade and Ice getting to the rim and kicking out.
I agree. I was listening to Jeff Goodman podcast a few weeks ago. He had another college expert on there and they talked specifically about how hard it is for freshmen to shoot well from the floor their first year. They said it's an exception when a freshmen has a high shooting percentage based on their abilities.

Aug 7, 2006
I agree. I was listening to Jeff Goodman podcast a few weeks ago. He had another college expert on there and they talked specifically about how hard it is for freshmen to shoot well from the floor their first year. They said it's an exception when a freshmen has a high shooting percentage based on their abilities.
I think they just rush everything, instead of playing within the rhythm of the game, while getting used to the speed of the college game. It would've been nice for him to get the extra minutes down the stretch to help settle in for next year.

CampusCowboy

Federal Marshal
Oct 4, 2006
Saint Louis, MO

I’m not sure. I really hope so, but he missed badly on the majority of his attempts. A 10% improvement is still only 30.3%, so still well below average. 317 out of 353 division 1 teams that shot better than 30.3% as a team this year. I’d consider anything over 35% as good, there are 92 teams at that level. Over his last 2 years in HS, he did shoot 36% so hopefully he can get back there. But, at this point I think the best case scenario is an average shooter.

OSU ties for 268th as a team at 31.7%. Not great. BYU leads the country at 42.4%.

POPOKE

Territorial Marshal
A/V Subscriber
Feb 7, 2007
South Carolina

I’m not sure. I really hope so, but he missed badly on the majority of his attempts. A 10% improvement is still only 30.3%, so still well below average. 317 out of 353 division 1 teams that shot better than 30.3% as a team this year. I’d consider anything over 35% as good, there are 92 teams at that level. Over his last 2 years in HS, he did shoot 36% so hopefully he can get back there. But, at this point I think the best case scenario is an average shooter.

OSU ties for 268th as a team at 31.7%. Not great. BYU leads the country at 42.4%.

It's also a sample size argument. The original poster was actually wrong, Harris made 12/59 on his 3's this year. But because he had a relatively low number of attempts, every make would have raised his average by around 2%; so five more makes and he's shooting 30%. No more freshman jitters, a year in the weight where he's not having to drastically transforming his body (like he did this year), and more regular playing time; I'm confident it's more than doable next year for him to shoot at least 30% or likely even better.

And 30% is not drastically lower than than the .317 league average like you quoted. It's literally less than two makes per 100 shots.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-harrisjr-1.html

Sep 23, 2010
It's also a sample size argument. The original poster was actually wrong, Harris made 12/59 on his 3's this year. But because he had a relatively low number of attempts, every make would have raised his average by around 2%; so five more makes and he's shooting 30%. No more freshman jitters, a year in the weight where he's not having to drastically transforming his body (like he did this year), and more regular playing time; I'm confident it's more than doable next year for him to shoot at least 30% or likely even better.

And 30% is not drastically lower than than the .317 league average like you quoted. It's literally less than two makes per 100 shots.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/chris-harrisjr-1.html
Man, those numbers are not good. 36% from the FT line. 20% from the field. Yikes.

Aug 16, 2012
There is a wall the freshman have to overcome physically. A lot more physically demanding and they have to adapt accordingly. He should be fine. Quite frankly, I think he will be very good.