MBB: BEDLAM Oklahoma State @ Oklahoma Sooners (ABC @2PM TOMMORROW)

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Feb 7, 2007
Sand Springs OK
One thing people are forgetting about Underwood. If he had stayed here then Lamont Evans probably would not have been fired as quickly as he was. This could have resulted in OSU being pulled deeper into the Sport Shoe Scandal with perhaps severe penalties. Im sure the NCAA would love to nail us while letting Kansas skate.
^^^^GMTA - and that whole investigation continues to roll so the door is not closed even though Evans is gone.

Rolling back in my mind about Holder's hiring choice and the "reasons" he stated Gottlieb was a not a factor hold even less validity today compared to the ongoing train-wreck on the hardwood being seen now. As to the KOCO jock-sniffer tweet, the real point is that this is a continuing issue with Holder and poor hiring/contract choices. But, I guess that's expecting too much from a talking head...

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
Bad shot selection has been a recurring theme. And it is a point in the season where that has to be on the coaches.

Where I have a big disconnect is the role Scott Sutton is playing. We know he is aware our players take bad shots. What is preventing him from getting this issue corrected? I didn’t watch the game today, but I have watched every other game this year. Every time I see Scott on the sidelines he does not seem engaged. I’m not sure I have ever even seen him talk to Coach Boynton, any of the other coaches, or any players this year. So we have a coaching resource who from my perspective isn’t adding the value he could and doesn’t seem to take interest in making an impact during the game. What message does that send?

I want Coach B to succeed. I think he has been a good ambassador for the school. I think he has some skills. However, there is a dynamic at least with Coach Sutton that appears to be a disconnect
Between the two. And by no means am I suggesting Scott should be the coach. It just doesn’t seem to me that his talents and skills aren’t being fully utilized and we are at a place where everyone needs to be contributing to the success of the program. Something isn’t right there.
Agreed. I think Sutton knows it's a dumpster fire and we suck.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
I think it has to do with expectations...or should I say lack of expectations set by the coach with his team. I found this Boynton quote after the game today

“(Defensive communication) has been an issue for this team, particularly in the moments of adversity,” OSU coach Mike Boynton said. “Guys tend to go into their own shells instead of wrapping their arms around each other. We’ve done everything so far that we can. We’ll continue to search for new methods of creating that adversity in practice.”

i think it’s Boynton who has not set the proper expectations with his team. “Guys go into their own shell”. What? From what I see when I watch the games that translate to “I don’t have to play defense because I’m not held accountable...I still get to play”. Hey Mike, here’s a new strategy to create “adversity” in practice, You DONT PLAY DEFENSE YOU DONT PLAY...senior or not. I’ll play your teammates who do...freshman listen close.

Great defense feeds teamwork and more offensive possessions. You don’t play defense you let your teammates down. Defense doesn’t have a negative impact on your shooting percentage except for your opponent. Defense is attitude. If you don’t send that message loud and clear it not happening. Boynton the only one not having “Defensive Communication” is you to your team.
Yeah we get it Boynton. Listen nice guy but it's one of 2 things. His players suck. Which they kinda do cuz he blew up one whole recruiting class and a half but kicking everyone off he recruited. 2. Boynton cant coach. I really think he's not a good coach. I hope I'm wrong but this season says otherwise. 2 awful awful awful seasons in a row. This one historically awful.

Oct 29, 2004
Edmond, OK
Yeah we get it Boynton. Listen nice guy but it's one of 2 things. His players suck. Which they kinda do cuz he blew up one whole recruiting class and a half but kicking everyone off he recruited. 2. Boynton cant coach. I really think he's not a good coach. I hope I'm wrong but this season says otherwise. 2 awful awful awful seasons in a row. This one historically awful.
I agree that the talent on the team, up to this year’s freshman class, were role player talent at best. Any recruiting class up until this year’s class, were marginal if not below below standard talent...including off the field baggage that a lot of them brought with them. Most are gone now.

In regards to your #2, Boynton cant coach, I still give him this year and next year to mold his guys into what he wants on the court to compete in the Big 12. My red flags to wait until next year are 1. Defensive is atrocious and getting worse. I don’t see any strategy to make that a cornerstone of his coaching strategy or program and 2. The #1 recruit from this year’s freshman class has already put his name out on the portal...for whatever the reason not a good look. Both #1 & #2, could be fixed by ”communicating” clear expectations upfront with follow through based on their on and off court behavior. I mean for goodness sakes the #1 recruit in this year’s freshman class is his relative. Makes you wonder what the expectations were coming In..”Oh, it will be like staying in a Hilton resort” or “Bring your hard hat because we got some serious program rebuilding to do”.

RutherfordFan

Federal Marshal
Feb 5, 2008
Oklahoma City
We know why Marcus Watson is gone. He was accused of rape so we dont know what went down there but he's leaving. No surprise but his top player in every class so far has left. Boynton seems like 2nd coming of Leonard Hamilton. Play same way except Hamilton had more talent play together. Hamilton cant coach very well at all. No plan, like YMCA ball on both ends.

I might be wrong and thought differently until this season. Our talent level isn't bear what I thought. I do think freshman. And sophomores on this team have some talent though.

Dec 20, 2015
SW OKLA
We know why Marcus Watson is gone. He was accused of rape so we dont know what went down there but he's leaving. No surprise but his top player in every class so far has left. Boynton seems like 2nd coming of Leonard Hamilton. Play same way except Hamilton had more talent play together. Hamilton cant coach very well at all. No plan, like YMCA ball on both ends.

I might be wrong and thought differently until this season. Our talent level isn't bear what I thought. I do think freshman. And sophomores on this team have some talent though.
Yeah, since 2005/2006 season Hamilton is 329-171 with an Elite 8 and a couple of Sweet 16’s.

It’s looking more and more that we are a basketball wasteland with the exception of Iba and Sutton.

Birry

Federal Marshal
Feb 6, 2007
Landlocked
One thing people are forgetting about Underwood. If he had stayed here then Lamont Evans probably would not have been fired as quickly as he was. This could have resulted in OSU being pulled deeper into the Sport Shoe Scandal with perhaps severe penalties. Im sure the NCAA would love to nail us while letting Kansas skate.
What makes you believe that Underwood wouldn't have fired Evans as quickly?