Max Duggan - TCu from IOWA 4*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Nov 14, 2010
Reading through some of the Starkel talk. Just a friendly reminder that Starkel, who isn’t good at football, didn’t really burn us. He looked good in camps and had an awful senior year in a weak, low level high school conference. The parting between him and OSU was pretty mutual. It was him or Wudtee that year. Both recruiting busts. We couldn’t recruit a decent QB between the Rudolph and Corn years because recruits knew they could do better than Yurcich.

Also, saw some BS on Sanders not developing. Y’all must not have tickets or TV. He’s developing before our eyes.
The problem is....
He was our #1 target, and whether it was mutual or not is irrelevant

What burned us was that by the time he and OSU parted ways, it was too late to replace his scholarship offer with a #1 target type guy

When we came off of him we were left scrambling trying to flip a group of 5 qb commit, which is what we did with Wudtee when we got him to flip from La Tech.

I am a huge believer in Sanders.

My stance is and will continue to be, that, if you run proper scheme, like we did in the 1st half yesterday, he will flourish

The dude has it all
Athletic as hell
Extemely smart
Ultra competitive
Big arm
Great work ethic
Grew up playing high level football

If this guy busts, it will be a big black eye for Gundy with High School coaches in Texas.

Last edited:

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
The problem is....
He was our #1 target, and whether it was mutual or not is irrelevant

What burned us was that by the time he and OSU parted ways, it was too late to replace his scholarship offer with a #1 target type guy

When we came off of him we were left scrambling trying to flip a group of 5 qb commit, which is what we did with Wudtee when we got him to flip from La Tech.

I am a huge believer in Sanders.

My stance is and will continue to be, that, if you run proper scheme, like we did in the 1st half yesterday, he will flourish

The dude has it all
Athletic as hell
Extemely smart
Ultra competitive
Big arm
Great work ethic
Grew up playing high level football

If this guy busts, it will be a big black eye for Gundy with High School coaches in Texas.
I get he was our #1 target. That’s why I went on to say he and Wudtee were busts. It wouldn’t have mattered if he came to OSU. He isn’t cut out for this level.

Nov 14, 2010
I get he was our #1 target. That’s why I went on to say he and Wudtee were busts. It wouldn’t have mattered if he came to OSU. He isn’t cut out for this level.
Wudtee wasn't a bust

He was a kid that we scrambled to get because our #1 target didn't work out and that happened too late in the game to get a comparable recruit

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
The most costly bust was the guy from Edmond. Kolar. He must have been just absolute garbage to be immediately jumped by Wudtee, Woods, Cornelius, and pretty much every other QB brought in over his four seasons.

And he was a 4 star super recruit, high school all American.
Kolar is the text book reason why fans should reviews recruit offers. Kolar was 4 star with accolades, but has one offer to his name... Oklahoma State. I was very skeptical on him after that.

Offers will always tell me more than stars and you’re absolutely right. He was the worst recruiting QB blunder under Yurcich, which is saying something. Back in the day, I can recall catching shi.. from fans for pointing out Yurcich’s development and recruiting flaws.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Wudtee wasn't a bust

He was a kid that we scrambled to get because our #1 target didn't work out and that happened too late in the game to get a comparable recruit
No. Wudtee was most certainly a bust. He had a collection of good offers for a late qualifier. I thought we pulled a rabbit out of a hat at that time.

Oct 7, 2012
[QUOTE="Herecomesbullets, post:

[/QUOTE]

Thread creep alert:

So what did Poke offense do different in 2nd half? I’m trying to figure out how to watch for stuff like this, but it’s hard on TV which zooms in on the ball carrier too much, IMO.

And how much of change in offense was due to Patterson making adjustments.?

Nov 14, 2010
[/QUOTE]Thread creep alert:

So what did Poke offense do different in 2nd half? I’m trying to figure out how to watch for stuff like this, but it’s hard on TV which zooms in on the ball carrier too much, IMO.

And how much of change in offense was due to Patterson making adjustments.?[/QUOTE]

Patterson does what he does on defense.

There are no secrets to what they do from game to game and half to half

If you want detail, go back through the game thread.

But....
In a nutshell
In the 1st half we gave TCU 4 vertical threats which forced them to have to declare their 1/4's coverage pre snap.

That helped Sanders....

Then....
We gave him an either/or pass option and if that wasn't open we gave him a scrambling lane opposite of his read

So....
It gave him a back door when things fell apart which made him much more comfortable.

In the 2nd half we went back into "protect" mode and started running inside zone and wide receicer screens like we have all year.

Oct 7, 2012
Thread creep alert:

And how much of change in offense was due to Patterson making adjustments.?[/QUOTE]

Patterson does what he does on defense.

There are no secrets to what they do from game to game and half to half

If you want detail, go back through the game thread.

But....
In a nutshell
In the 1st half we gave TCU 4 vertical threats which forced them to have to declare their 1/4's coverage pre snap.

That helped Sanders....

Then....
We gave him an either/or pass option and if that wasn't open we gave him a scrambling lane opposite of his read

So....
It gave him a back door when things fell apart which made him much more comfortable.

In the 2nd half we went back into "protect" mode and started running inside zone and wide receicer screens like we have all year.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Why does OC/Gundy switch tactics or schemes? Does Gundy ever get asked that in pressers?

Nov 14, 2010
Starkel decommitted from OSU less than 2 months from signing day.

And...he did it on the eve of the month long dead period so that screwed us pretty bad.

It's a pretty big burn to have your #1 qb target put you in that kind of situation.

Starkel was lower profile because he committed so early to OSU and was so adamant about coming here.

Coaches weren't going to spend time recruiting him.

A&M offered after they lost Kylar Murray and Kyle Allen.

They were throwing a hail mary right before the dead period to avoid having to go plan B and it got caught.

Plus, Starkel was a 4 star recruit according to ESPN, and was also an elite 11 camp invitee.

He also had an offer from 2 Power 5 schools before the dead period.

Wudtee's recruiting took off when OSU, Missouri and TCU were forced into plan B because they were scrambling.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

Why does OC/Gundy switch tactics or schemes? Does Gundy ever get asked that in pressers?[/QUOTE]

Just like Patterson does what he does, Gundy is going to set everything up to do what he does which is run inside zone, throw wr screens, then throw it deep.

He felt like the 1st half set up the inside zone.

It did hit twice because we have Chuba, but it also lead to a bunch of frustrating possessions as well

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
First half, 17 points. Second Half, 17 points. Two passing TD's, two Rushing TD's. Three hundred yards rushing against TCU (giving up 103.7 per game). 34 points in 54 snaps.

What exactly was wrong with our offense?

Nov 14, 2010
First half, 17 points. Second Half, 17 points. Two passing TD's, two Rushing TD's. Three hundred yards rushing against TCU (giving up 103.7 per game). 34 points in 54 snaps.

What exactly was wrong with our offense?
First half was the best half of the year schematicallyn

2nd half was all or nothing that relied on 1 guy to bail it out

This is not a good plan for sustainability.

AshlandFlash

It seemed like a good idea at the time
A/V Subscriber
Aug 24, 2007
First half was the best half of the year schematicallyn

2nd half was all or nothing that relied on 1 guy to bail it out

This is not a good plan for sustainability.
That's your opinion. You have the right to be wrong. Believing that Fat Pat doesn't make coverage adjustments is your prerogative. We won the game by scoring more in the second half (the "failure half") than the other team did.

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Starkel decommitted from OSU less than 2 months from signing day.

And...he did it on the eve of the month long dead period so that screwed us pretty bad.

It's a pretty big burn to have your #1 qb target put you in that kind of situation.

Starkel was lower profile because he committed so early to OSU and was so adamant about coming here.

Coaches weren't going to spend time recruiting him.

A&M offered after they lost Kylar Murray and Kyle Allen.

They were throwing a hail mary right before the dead period to avoid having to go plan B and it got caught.

Plus, Starkel was a 4 star recruit according to ESPN, and was also an elite 11 camp invitee.

He also had an offer from 2 Power 5 schools before the dead period.

Wudtee's recruiting took off when OSU, Missouri and TCU were forced into plan B because they were scrambling.
Wudtee’s offers came late because he wasn’t as visible with camps. Not every guy is fortunate to do that. He was also a grade risk. Teams had their eye on him and pulled the trigger when he proved he could qualify.

None of this matters though. They both suck and one of them never should have been our target from the beginning.

Nov 14, 2010
Wudtee’s offers came late because he wasn’t as visible with camps. Not every guy is fortunate to do that. He was also a grade risk. Teams had their eye on him and pulled the trigger when he proved he could qualify.

None of this matters though. They both suck and one of them never should have been our target from the beginning.
Agreed

Oct 25, 2009
Twin Falls, ID
Nothing was wrong with our offense. It just fits herecomesbullets schtick to blame some of Sanders shortcomings on the offensive game plan. Frankly I felt like the offense in both halves was a similar strategy. It just so happened that there were gaps in the passing gane that we took advantage of in the first half and gaps in the run game were there in the 2nd.

Gundy and Gleeson are still playing it safe with Sanders to minimize turnovers. Our defense is playing pretty well, so the strategy is paying off. I tbink that this will pay dividenda long term because Sanders can continue to learn to adapt to the speed of college defenses and absorb more of the playbook. I think we will see a much more effective offense next year simply because the game will have slowed down for him and he wont be forcing things as much. Even yesterday there were some head scratcher passes. He got bailed out on a couple and the long td pass to Stoner was because Stoner knocked down his guy that was in coverage.

Im really not convinced that Sanders is any better than he was during the Tech and Baylor gamea. He just has a tighter leash and that is keeping his mistakes to a minimum.

I.will say that when he scrambles, hes protecting the ball a lot better. Thats a nice improvement. Once he starts learning to get the ball out of his hands quicker, we will have a lot of big gain pass plays. He hasnt learned yet that he has to throw to the spot his receivers will be. He is late letting the ball go and allowing dbs time ro catch up.