Max Duggan - TCu from IOWA 4*

• You are viewing Orangepower as a Guest. To start new threads, reply to posts, or participate in polls or contests - you must register. Registration is free and easy. Click Here to register.
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
Yes, we had Sanders and Brown when MR graduated, and neither were ready to take over. We should have had a quality backup during MR's senior year who was ready to take over the next year. We didn't. That's on Yurcich.
You're right. It's always the coach's fault when a QB transfers. That being so rare & all nowadays.:facepalm:

Nov 14, 2010
The last two quarterbacks to start for OSU, Cornelius and Sanders, will have had a combined 7 years in this system at the end of this year.

They had a combined 5 years in the system when they became starters.

One was talented enough to make an NFL rookie camp and then get drafted to the XFL and the other was talented enough to be the Gatorade Player of the Year in a bigtime football State.

If we need more time than that to prepare guys then something needs to be adjusted.

Last edited:
Nov 14, 2010
Who did we have that transferred that ending up playing and being a quality QB somewhere else?

MY sucked at recruiting.
No one....
In my opinion that has more to do with development due to the system more than it is a recruiting issue.

Also....Nick Starkel, who was an Elite 11 finalist, burned us pretty good the year we signed Wudtee which was no ones fault.

Starkels skills would have matched our system better. He made a big mistake not coming here.

John Kolar played in the Semper Fidelis U.S. Marine Corps All-American Game, was a four-star prospect by Rivals.com, ESPN and 247Sports, ranked as the No. 1 prospect in Oklahoma and No. 3 pocket passer in the nation by ESPN, he was a a regional Elite 11 quarterback participant and was named named team MVP and outstanding academic athlete at Norman North and outstanding academic athlete for the city of Norman

So... He was extremely talented and equally as intelligent, but never developed.

Keondre Wudtee was a 3 star that was offered by both TCU and Missouri.

In my opinion, JW Walsh never developed.

These guys were read option, RPO quarterbacks and never developed as they should have.

Now... Currently.... We have the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year, who is a more talented version of all of them, and now he's also in the process of not developing either.

In the end....
MY recruited Rudolph, Kolar, Starkel and now Sanders, with a solid recruit in Wudtee sprinkled in.
That's 3-4 star quarterbacks and another 3 star that was offered by multiple Power 5 schools.

I used to think the same thing, but after so many dual threat quarterbacks have failed to develop, I now think it's a systematic issue.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2018
Boulder, CO
No one....
In my opinion that has more to do with development due to the system more than it is a recruiting issue.

Also....Nick Starkel burned us pretty good the year we signed Wudtee which was no ones fault.

Starkels skills would have matched our system better. He made a big mistake not coming here.

John Kolar played in the Semper Fidelis U.S. Marine Corps All-American Game, was a four-star prospect by Rivals.com, ESPN and 247Sports, ranked as the No. 1 prospect in Oklahoma and No. 3 pocket passer in the nation by ESPN, he was a a regional Elite 11 quarterback participant and was named named team MVP and outstanding academic athlete at Norman North and outstanding academic athlete for the city of Norman

So... He was extremely talented and equally as intelligent, but never developed.

These guys were both read option, RPO quarterbacks and never developed as they should have.

Now... Currently.... We have the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year, who is a more talented version of either of those 2, and now he's also in the process of not developing either.
Yeah, but that guy sucked at recruiting. Everyone knows that you just recruit & QB, he sits & waits behind an incumbent starter for 3 years, & he's raring & ready to go when the starter graduates. Teams are doing it seamlessly all over college football.

RxCowboy

Has no Rx for his orange obsession.
A/V Subscriber
Nov 8, 2004
Wishing I was in Stillwater
No one....

Also....Nick Starkel burned us pretty good the year we signed Wudtee which was no ones fault.

In my opinion, JW Walsh never developed.

These guys were both read option, RPO quarterbacks and never developed as they should have.

Now... Currently.... We have the Texas Gatorade Player of the Year, who is a more talented version of all of them, and now he's also in the process of not developing either.
I actually agree with most of what you say here. Either way, if it was a failure of recruiting or a failure of development, that's on Yurcich.

IMHO, that isn't fair to JW. Injuries sidelined his development. When he was healthy he was pretty doggone good.

Apr 18, 2009
NW OKC
After the Oregon State game, many were talking about how Sanders could being one of our best quarterbacks ever. A few games later, many wanted to see Dru Brown. After the K-State game, many were talking about winning the conference. After the Baylor game, many were talking about missing a bowl.

That's just how these things go. Emotions tend to win out over logic. Things are rarely as good or as bad as the masses tend to think.
Nice

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
His ball security, his visions and the anticipations will improve significantly, Not much arm strength will improve in the next coming years. He was under coach Glass program for over 2 years by now. You either has it now or not.

We will just be dumping the balls here left and here right and just maybe about 40 yds downfield. Anything over 40 yards, the then wide open WRs would have to wait and have to jump over the DBs to make catches if not the WRs themselves has to play DB roles to avoid interceptions.
He came in at fall camp last year. He has only had one season under Glass. Glass does most of his work on early spring and some during the summers.

CPTNQUIRK

I'm Your Captain!
A/V Subscriber
Nov 20, 2006
In the Boondocks in Creek County, Oklahoma
No one....
In my opinion that has more to do with development due to the system more than it is a recruiting issue.............
In the end....
MY recruited Rudolph, Kolar, Starkel and now Sanders, with a solid recruit in Wudtee sprinkled in.
That's 3-4 star quarterbacks and another 3 star that was offered by multiple Power 5 schools.

I used to think the same thing, but after so many dual threat quarterbacks have failed to develop, I now think it's a systematic issue.
Who did we have that transferred that ending up playing and being a quality QB somewhere else?

MY sucked at recruiting.
Yurcich recruited Tracin Wallace and Jelani Woods as quarterbacks, also. If Tracin had been able to compete and become as good of a quarterback as Tylan has at wide receiver then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But unforeseen injuries and a change of position keeps us from knowing if that would have happened. Jelani Woods was recruited as a 3 star dual threat quarterback but chose to switch positions his sophomore year after redshirting his freshman year. We don’t know how good he could have become at quarterback. Sanders chose to stay in high school for the last semester of his senior year. If he had forgone that semester and started at OSU early we might not be having this conversation.

Yurcich cannot be held accountable for the whims of young men or unforeseen injuries.

JoeHero

I don't say blah blah blah
A/V Subscriber
May 8, 2006
I was impressed with their quarterback. Luckily he took a beating from our defense and that forced him in to some mistakes

CTeamPoke

Legendary Cowboy
Jun 18, 2008
Dallas, TX
Yurcich recruited Tracin Wallace and Jelani Woods as quarterbacks, also. If Tracin had been able to compete and become as good of a quarterback as Tylan has at wide receiver then we wouldn’t be having this conversation. But unforeseen injuries and a change of position keeps us from knowing if that would have happened. Jelani Woods was recruited as a 3 star dual threat quarterback but chose to switch positions his sophomore year after redshirting his freshman year. We don’t know how good he could have become at quarterback. Sanders chose to stay in high school for the last semester of his senior year. If he had forgone that semester and started at OSU early we might not be having this conversation.

Yurcich cannot be held accountable for the whims of young men or unforeseen injuries.
The most costly bust was the guy from Edmond. Kolar. He must have been just absolute garbage to be immediately jumped by Wudtee, Woods, Cornelius, and pretty much every other QB brought in over his four seasons.

And he was a 4 star super recruit, high school all American.

Nov 14, 2010
The most costly bust was the guy from Edmond. Kolar. He must have been just absolute garbage to be immediately jumped by Wudtee, Woods, Cornelius, and pretty much every other QB brought in over his four seasons.

I think the Starkel thing burned us the most from a personnel perspective and that we were recruiting dual threat guys, but not running a dual threat offense so none of them developed

osuwhit

Legendary Cowboy
A/V Subscriber
Jun 16, 2011
NE OK
Reading through some of the Starkel talk. Just a friendly reminder that Starkel, who isn’t good at football, didn’t really burn us. He looked good in camps and had an awful senior year in a weak, low level high school conference. The parting between him and OSU was pretty mutual. It was him or Wudtee that year. Both recruiting busts. We couldn’t recruit a decent QB between the Rudolph and Corn years because recruits knew they could do better than Yurcich.

Also, saw some BS on Sanders not developing. Y’all must not have tickets or TV. He’s developing before our eyes.

Rob B.

I'm......Batman.
A/V Subscriber
Aug 13, 2007
Rockin' the GL.

He's from Norman, but I agree on everything else. ;)